Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Bad Olympic winning performances

I always had the notion that when Olympics are concerned, Judges and commentators would try their hardest to humour
    the mass audiences by allowing easy narratives to win the day, And allow understandably good performances to triumph,
    For commentators it is the way they would talk up someone, Say Plushenko, Who usually they would have more bad stuff to point out about,
    Because they know he'll get the high marks, And they want their viewers to better except it,
    And for the judges, I would think that they would try their hardest to not reward the Gold to a performance with a major visible flaw.

For the casual Olympic viewer, A doubled jump, Or a slight 2 foot or under rotation isn't perceived as a flaw,
    Whereas a big ugly fall is, They can accept someone winning with a doubled jump, Like Plush or Arakawa, Or a 2 foot like Baiul,
    or Kwan winning the SP with an under rotation, As long as they stay on their feet,
    But if someone were to splat once or twice, Even if say at worlds they would beat their opponent despite, At olympics it wouldn't fly.

This year could be an indicator, If the likes of Chan and V\T have issues, But it got me thinking if there was ever an Olympic
    winning performance with a major flaw or more that was visibly ugly, The closest thing i could think of is Scott hamilton, but he stayed on his fit and in an upright position,

So, was there ever a performance that had a really bad mistake that won the Gold ?
    (if possible, Let's not bring up the B\S step out )

vCash
    Kristi's LP was nowhere near her best. Of course, none of the top ladies skated clean that night.

vCash
    Viktor Petrenko fell out of his second triple axel in the free skate at Albertville, putting both hands down.

vCash
    Didn't Shen/Zhao have an error on a lift during their Olympic FS in 2010?

vCash
    Scott Hamilton 1984 LP

vCash
    There have been gold medalists delivering sub-par performances and making obvious mistakes in their LPs, ie Peggy Fleming, Kristi Y., Scott H., but none of them wipe the ice with their tushes. Maybe Sochi will be the first

vCash
    The problem is exactly the opposite. People winning with performances that looked 'clean' to the casual observer, whilst the judges really should know better.

As for the point Eladola made, Sochi Olympics have extremely high potential for drama. Imagine Chan winning with multiple falls or Volosozhar/Trankov winning with a performance like the one at Europeans because of scoring PCS in 9s. We wouldn't hear the end of it over here and it would play extremely well into the 'figure skating is not a legitimate sport' narrative in the major news outlets. I can't wait.

vCash
    I wish S&S hadn't withdrawn from European. Imagine the self-doubt that could be swirling in Trankov's head if S&S heads into Sochi as the reigning GPF and European champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Viktor Petrenko fell out of his second triple axel in the free skate at Albertville, putting both hands down.
    What I remember most about that competition is Paul Wylie's wonderful "Henry V" program. He was on fire -- absolutely inspired. Mamma mia, his split jumps! Viktor probably had a higher DOD and a higher overall score, which gave him the gold, but Paul was the star of the evening. Gotta look that one up on YouTube...

vCash
    Scott Hamilton was totally America's Beatrix schuba. Both were way way below their free skate best. Hamilton more than schuba but Hamilton was just off. That was bad and it won. He didn't fall though so most didn't even know that's true I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wish S&S hadn't withdrawn from European. Imagine the self-doubt that could be swirling in Trankov's head if S&S heads into Sochi as the reigning GPF and European champion
    They were 7 points behind after the SP and Savchenko really was ill. V/T got higher PCS for a program with two falls on the sbs and throw jump and two-footed landing + two step outs on the other sbs jump than S/S did for an SP with a step out + hand down on the throw (yes, I know I'm the first person to say that PCS shouldn't depend on how many or how little mistakes you do on the elements but that's how the judges usually see it). S/S would have most likely lost this.

vCash
    -Both of Grishuk & Platov's Olympic efforts. Although clean, not meriting such rewards. (The fact that Torvill & Dean were two spots below them 1994 is a travesty to...everything.)
    -Scott Hamilton's 1984 win was certainly unimpressive...but welcome to the days of factored combined segment scores.
    -I don't know if this qualifies as bad...but remember when Urmanov was crowned Olympic champion?

vCash
    Magda Julin's FS was .... disappointing, to say the least, and her Compulsory Figures weren't all that much better. None of the judges marked her first in either segment of the competition.

In her defense, I must acknowledge that she was not allowed to skate to the music she wanted to use.

vCash
    G&G's 1994 performance had some atypical mistakes and was certainly not their best performance. Kristi Yamaguchi's Olympic skate also featured atypical mistakes.

vCash
    Kristi Yamaguchi 1992 LP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    -Both of Grishuk & Platov's Olympic efforts. Although clean, not meriting such rewards. (The fact that Torvill & Dean were two spots below them 1994 is a travesty to...everything.)
    -Scott Hamilton's 1984 win was certainly unimpressive...but welcome to the days of factored combined segment scores.
    -I don't know if this qualifies as bad...but remember when Urmanov was crowned Olympic champion?
    Ohlordhavemercy...Urmanov. It wasn't actually a bad performance, if my aging memory serves. He did create long elegant lines, which I think is what he wanted to be remembered for. It's just that he came off as such a preening little goody two shoes. And boring. Gack!

ITA re: T&D, although they weren't at their best that night, either. Still, they were better than G&P. There were rumblings about rules, too -- something about G&P skating apart from each other longer than the rules allowed. I think in a way T&D almost defeated themselves b/c everyone expected another "Bolero" and how the heck do you top a once-in-a-lifetime program like that? (IMO, the only piece that's ever come close is V&M's heart-stopping Mahler LP in 2010.)

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Petrenko's LP in 1992 was both a mess and terribly constructed. When I watch it, I can hardly believe he was the same skater that won the bronze in 1988.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inmynextlife View Post
    Ohlordhavemercy...Urmanov. It wasn't actually a bad performance, if my aging memory serves. He did create long elegant lines, which I think is what he wanted to be remembered for. It's just that he came off as such a preening little goody two shoes. And boring. Gack!
    So, why such awful and strange choreographies ? LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    The title of the thread says "Bad Olympic winning Performances" and I think neither of G/Ps winning performances was bad. If their rivals hadn't been T/D, there wouldn't have been any outrage about it in '94. The top three performances in '94 were equally good and flawless, although a matter of taste and quite different, and I see no travesty in T/D's bronze. I could have understood any order of ranking among these couples.

vCash
    People would probably have complained even more about U&Z not winning had T&D not been entered since U&Z were reigning World Champions, had always beaten G&P, and that is just how things were supposed to go back then in dance. Plus they were sentimental favorites after all their tough defeats, and being in the shadow of K&P so long.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast