vCash

retired female figure skaters still doing difficult triples

I just saw this video of irina and was shocked.

She did a triple flip and triple loop! And it's from 2012!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x7Mw65WtTM

there is another video from 2013 japanese open where she's not as successful but..the ice is slippery. it's amazing that at her age and having had multiple children she was even able to any triples!

vCash
    Obviously, Joannie Rochette comes to mind.

She did all the triples up to and including the 3F at the Japan Open last year, including a gorgeous 3T+1Lo+3S. Even her spins were better than when she was competing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23kCH0Ya5s

Had she competed in Sochi, she would've gotten a team silver for sure and probably a top 8 finish.

Shizuka Arakawa kept up her triples too after her Olympics win. I assume she's not doing them now since she's pregnant.

I bet if Kimmie Meissner could probably landed a few triples too if she wanted to train them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fa0yGim7Uk

Nice 3S from late last year. Obviously, she's grown, but her basics have always been very good. I think she got a bum rap from fans.
    Last edited by all_empty; Today at 07:45 AM.

vCash
    Well, Yuka Sato was till doing fantastic 3Loop in 2008, 14 years after she retired.

vCash
    For a while, Midori Ito could still do all of her triples after she retired. I haven't seen her skate since around 97 though so I'm not sure what the state of her skating was like after that.

Denise Biellmann could still do some of her triples until the 90s. But again, I haven't watched her skate since then so I've no idea if she managed to continue that afterwards.

vCash
    Midori did 2A in adult competition two years ago. Her rink mate(and a journalist) said she landed triples in practice, she was full of joy practicing triples, but she injured because of working too hard. Shame she didn't show triples in the competition, but anyway her skating(including 2A) was fantastic.

Shizuka landed 3-3 and 3-2-2-2 in shows recently. Rochette and Sultsukaya were wonderful in Japan Open and Medal Winners Open as posted above.

ETA:
    I found Shizuka landed 2A-3T and 3T in Art on Ice 2013. She did the same jumps in Medal Winners Open as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NkptYt-FI
    Last edited by rosewood; Today at 01:34 PM.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Midori did 2A in adult competition two years ago. Her rink mate(and a journalist) said she landed triples in practice, she was full of joy practicing triples, but she injured because of working too hard. Shame she didn't show triples in the competition, but anyway her skating(including 2A) was fantastic.

Shizuka landed 3-3 and 3-2-2-2 in shows recently. Rochette and Sultsukaya were wonderful in Japan Open and Medal Winners Open as posted above.

ETA:
    I found Shizuka landed 2A-3T and 3T in Art on Ice 2013. She did the same jumps in Medal Winners Open as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NkptYt-FI
    Thanks for that. She looks trimmer here than in Turin. And she brought back her voidy swank lake program (depending on my mood, I either love that program or hate it).

vCash
    I guess she brought back that program since Mao was skating Swan Lake in the season. Shizuka use to challenge difficult jumps in her Friends on Ice shows but I don't think many of them were aired on TV.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    Katia Gordeeva did many 3T both in pro-competition, team events and shows. Even a few years after after Liza was born, I think she was 32/33, she did a 3T during a show dedicated to mother's day. The double Axel is always included in her performances even to this day and she is pushing 43.