vCash

Vacation Condo Rentals Recommendations?

My husband and I are planning a short vacation in late March, and I'm interested in renting a condo during that time. We're looking in the Phoenix area. I know it's Spring Training at that time, and just from the preliminary searches I've done, it seems like a condo will be more cost-effective than a hotel, with more amenities included.

Which company, if any, did you go through?
    Would you recommend them again?
    Would you rent a vacation condo again?

Thanks for your input!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I use vrbo.com a few times per year and had all good experiences. I like having more space and a full kitchen, at a lower price vs. a hotel room. It is nice seeing a lot of photos of the place ahead of time to choose what you like.

vCash
    Are you interested in going to spring training? One thing to be aware of is that Scottsdale (where lots of vacation rentals are located) is a very long, strung-out city -- if you need to be down by Tempe to watch games, you might not want to book at one of the places far north in Scottsdale or in Paradise Valley.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I have used two sites, VRBO we used for Florida twice and also Italy, Switzerland and Germany.. but also recently used Trip Advisor and their vacation rentals as can use your visa and has cancellation insurance. Both sites were excellent.. coming up we have the Azores booked with Trip Advisor - no matter which site you use - check out reviews of the house by using google and putting the name of the villa or house in.. we were able to review our recent rental even though there weren't reviews on the actual site we were using - but reviews from another site - same house/same owner.. With VRBO I have not been disappointed yet..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    We've used VRBO many times and have always been happy with the rental. There is also a company called "At home..." As in At Home in France, that we have used. I don't know if they operate in the US, but their properties in France were fabulous.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Are you interested in going to spring training? One thing to be aware of is that Scottsdale (where lots of vacation rentals are located) is a very long, strung-out city -- if you need to be down by Tempe to watch games, you might not want to book at one of the places far north in Scottsdale or in Paradise Valley.
    We might go to a game...but my prime motivation is that Cher is opening her new tour in Phoenix on March 22 and that coincides with our spring break. We've been to Scottsdale before, but I'm thinking it might be a better option to go condo.

vCash
    Another vote for vrbo... We haven't used it ourselves, but several friends have and have had great experiences.

vCash
    Vrbo here too
    Used twice , great to work with owners , good pictures and reviews
    Thumbs up from us

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I used VRBO to rent a house when I did IMAZ which is in Tempe. It was pretty cheap, much cheaper than a hotel, and convenient to be able to control my food. It wasn't very pretty and our neighborhood was kind of in the middle of nowhere. I think that's the hardest part for me -- trying to figure out where places are from the descriptions on the web site and Google maps.

I tried to use VRBO for my upcoming trip to Kona and ended up giving up. Not one place I contacted wrote back to me or returned my phone call. Crazy!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

INTJ
    vCash
    We've used VRBO in Canada and in Belgium and had really good luck.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Another vote for VRBO---have used it several times, every experience fantastic!

vCash
    Yep, vrbo!!

vCash
    Thanks for all the endorsements for vrbo! (And for not laughing at my plan to go to the Cher concert)

vCash
    I used airbnb. Which is nice as there is a guarantee on it

vCash
    I've used vrbo twice, in the US and in Canada. US experience was great, would totally do it again. Canada - not so great. Owners confirmed my booking and then told me that I hadn't sent them my credit card number so they were cancelling the booking. Forwarded them the email I had sent, which had indeed included my CC number, and never heard back from them again. OTOH I didn't end up with any mysterious charges from Nowhereistan on my CC, so it wasn't any great loss, and if they were that annoying I didn't really want to stay at their place.

I really like how vrbo works, especially the reviews which are very helpful in figuring out if a place is what you want. I'd recommend looking closely at things like deposits, cleaning policies, "checkout" times, and so on, because some owners can be really fussy about those kinds of details. And e.g. you don't want to be wandering the streets for most of a day because the owners made you get out at 9 am or some such.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I really like how vrbo works, especially the reviews which are very helpful in figuring out if a place is what you want. I'd recommend looking closely at things like deposits, cleaning policies, "checkout" times, and so on, because some owners can be really fussy about those kinds of details. And e.g. you don't want to be wandering the streets for most of a day because the owners made you get out at 9 am or some such.
    Good advice, we ended up in a park in Belgium waiting to get let into our vrbo after 20+ hours of traveling. It wasn't a big deal, my dad who had made the arrangements just underestimated how long the trip would take and the guy who was our contact was working so couldn't let us in. Eventually, his wife came to let us in but it was a couple of hours "homeless" when we really could have used a nap.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Oops! I saw you also asked about renting a vacation condo again. The place we rented was a city apartment, but, yes, definitely. It was way nicer - and cheaper - to be in an apartment rather than a hotel for a week, if for no other reason that we could sleep as late as we wanted without housekeepers pounding on the door Another big benefit was that the kitchen was completely stocked, not just with dishes and cutlery but with food. I don't know if this is the practice at every place, but whoever was staying at this apartment bought what they wanted to eat, and left the rest of it behind. So there was all kinds of cereal, juice, breads, frozen entrees, etc. etc. We saved a *lot* on food that week, and at the end we just restocked whatever we had taken.

The place was also very clean, and the owners told us they clean in between every booking. And they put out fresh flowers for us, which was really nice.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Thanks for all the endorsements for vrbo! (And for not laughing at my plan to go to the Cher concert)
    When I went to the website that was selling tickets to Canadian Nationals, the big ad was for Cher

I hope you have a wonderful time!
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I got tickets, but not for Phoenix in March -- we're going to Portland at the end of June! However for that trip we'll take the motorhome and head off on our summer holidays from there. However, the high recommendations for vrbo will not go to waste! Thanks again, everyone!