vCash

Skaters on crowd funding websites?

There's been a lot of talk in the media lately about Olympic hopefuls turning to crowd-funding websites to help offset higher costs of training and decreasing subsidies. However, I can't really find any skaters out there who are doing the same thing. It's mainly skiers, snowboarders, and speed skaters. There appears to be two major websites out there: RallyMe.com and GoFundMe.com.

I did find one ice dancing team who has a page on GoFundMe.com. They are Plutowska and Gerber of Poland. Here is their page.
    http://www.gofundme.com/WorkHardDreamBig

Anybody else see skaters out there on these sites? It would be a good way to have a direct impact on their training.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen used Kickstarter for her Snoxx project, but that's not really to fund skating.

I think it's difficult for athletes to use these sites, because most of the sites seem to be based on a model of a defined outcome, e.g. a completed product getting on the market. For athletes, the outcome is a little more uncertain - e.g. what happens if they ask for funding to train for the Olympics and then don't qualify or get hurt or something. I know there are skating fans who would support them regardless, but more casual funders might not understand the potential for things going sideways and get upset if the outcome they funded didn't happen.

I think it might also be difficult for skaters to come up with incentives that would be meaningful for non-skating fans, or that would be easy to deliver. I.e. if I were interested in giving money to a skater training in a different region or country, an incentive like a skating lesson with that skater would be hard to arrange if we weren't both in the same place at the same time with ice time available.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    One of the best outlets to help skaters (and take a tax deduction) is the New England Amateur Skating Foundation. They support skaters from all over, and 100% of donations are supposed to go to skaters, and you can ask that your donation be sent to a specific athlete. (The skater, or pair, has to have applied to get assistance from this fund to be eligible.)

New England Amateur Skating Foundation
    P.O. BOX 6881
    Providence, RI. 02940

Michael Weiss' foundation also help fund skaters.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    The U.S. Athletic Foundation is hosting An Evening On Ice this weekend in Los Angeles. The show is hosted by Tai and Randy.
    Several skaters have received funding from this generous charity founded by Tricia and Nicholas LaRoche. Alissa Czisny, Lindsay Davis, Joshua Farris, Agnes Zawadzki, Mark Ladwig, and Mirai Nagasu are just a few of the elite skaters who have benefited.
    For more information go to www.usathleticfoundation.org to see a list of the outstanding cast for this Saturday's stellar event.
    Last edited by MountainTime; 07-17-2013 at 04:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    One of the best outlets to help skaters (and take a tax deduction) is the New England Amateur Skating Foundation. They support skaters from all over, and 100% of donations are supposed to go to skaters, and you can ask that your donation be sent to a specific athlete. (The skater, or pair, has to have applied to get assistance from this fund to be eligible.)

New England Amateur Skating Foundation
    P.O. BOX 6881
    Providence, RI. 02940

Michael Weiss' foundation also help fund skaters.

Info for Michael Weiss Foundation:

http://www.michaelweiss.org/mission.htm

vCash
    Bumping up this old thread (ETA that Plutowska/Gerber have split since the original post was made last year) and copying over relevant posts from the U.S. Pairs thread...

Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    Based on this http://www.gofundme.com/9zsx5k, Danielle Montalbano...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    A skater has a GoFundMe page?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Noticed that the text says payment is tax-deductible, but the "Donate" link says the payment will "go directly to this person"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramahkween View Post
    Jorik Hendrickx has a crowd funding page as well- http://www.worldofcrowdfunding.com/h...orik-hendrickx
    Fellow Belgian skater Kaat Van Daele as well: http://www.worldofcrowdfunding.com/h...-championships
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Curious set up though on the crowd funding page though - it can't be tax-deductible in the US if it goes directly to the skater, can it? And, this isn't set up to go to the Fed - or if it is, it certainly isn't clear about the tax ID, etc. so a contributor can't really be sure who is getting what or if it is tax deductible. Maybe it's a limitation of the web page?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramahkween View Post
    Through the website it goes to the individual. The amounts are tracked and then transferred to the fed but earmarked for the particular skater who raised the funds. There is a letter that is sent out with language stating that it represents a receipt for tax purposes. It includes the fed's Tax ID and states that no goods or services have been provided in consideration of the donation. (I know this because I have previously donated)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-09-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you ! I feel for these skaters who have exhausted family funds , their own and due to unforeseen injury have had their dreams sidelined. They refuse to let that stop them. What a great lesson to teach our young people. Never give up. I admire them. we as fans should all try to help !!!