View Poll Results: Who should have been given bronze by judges for their skates in Nagano

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Butyrskaya

84 53.50%
  • Slutskaya

53 33.76%
  • Chen

64 40.76%
  • someone else

29 18.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Given how Kwan and Slute skated, that's a real possibility, but for some reason I don't think the judges would have have given it to her.
    I agree. They would have gone with Hughes over Cohen in 2002 due to Hughes's superior rep at the time. The only reason Cohen beat Hughes in the SP is her SP was so much better they had no choice. Most thought Hughes's short program sucked and it was a joke she was even 4th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Given how Kwan skated one could argue Sasha deserved bronze over Kwan. That was a tight Kwan both in sp and lp
    I don't think Kwan was tight in the SP at all. She had that Flip, but otherwise she sold that routine. The problem was that Kwan sort of outgrew that routine.

It's arguable that Kwan should have been behind Cohen and Suguri, but I also think it's arguable that she should have been ahead of Slutskaya as well. It was just a close-one. After the fall, Kwan did well. Shame she had to tack on that extra triple toe loop at the end which took away from the ending of that routine. IMO, Cohen's Carmen was the worst choreographed LP of that final group save for Sebestyen. It looked improvised or something.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I agree Cohens Carmen was completely forgettable. She had to go 100 perecent clean with that to have any chance of a medal, which of course was not gonna happen.

vCash
    I don't think Kwan was tight in the SP at all. She had that Flip, but otherwise she sold that routine. The problem was that Kwan sort of outgrew that routine.

It's arguable that Kwan should have been behind Cohen and Suguri, but I also think it's arguable that she should have been ahead of Slutskaya as well. It was just a close-one. After the fall, Kwan did well. Shame she had to tack on that extra triple toe loop at the end which took away from the ending of that routine. IMO, Cohen's Carmen was the worst choreographed LP of that final group save for Sebestyen. It looked improvised or something.
    Poor Fumie was definitely robbed in SLC in both the SP and LP. She belonged on that podium. She belonged on it over Slutskaya's awful skate in Turin too even though her own LP was kind of blah and not clean there either.

vCash
    I It's arguable that Kwan should have been behind Cohen and Suguri, but I also think it's arguable that she should have been ahead of Slutskaya as well. It was just a close-one. After the fall, Kwan did well. Shame she had to tack on that extra triple toe loop at the end which took away from the ending of that routine. IMO, Cohen's Carmen was the worst choreographed LP of that final group save for Sebestyen. It looked improvised or something.

I agree about Cohen but I thought that that Sebestyen's program was rather well choreographed. Same for Slutskaya and Kwan. I found Hughes rather boring and bland, though, while Suguri's Moonlight Sonata was a masterpiece.

By ranking of LP choreos in SLC:

Excellent: Suguri
    Good: Kwan, Slutskaya, Sebestyen
    Average: Butyrskaya, Hughes
    Mediocre: Cohen

vCash
    I thought Suguri's Moonlight Sonata was a masterpiece as well. It suited her very well, and highlighted her lightness and speed. The footwork sequence, transition after her flying sit, and scratch spin were gush-worthy.

I would say Kwan's program is far better than Slutskaya's incoherent Tosca. Sebestyen's program wasn't badly choreographed, but the choreography wasn't hard and was lacking in expression. After Kwan, I would say Butyrskaya, Slutskaya/Sebestyen/Cohen. I agree Sasha's program was front-loaded and had more 'wow' moves than sophisticated choreography, but her delivery and attitude more than made up for it.

I think Hughes was a clear winner, while 2-5 (Kwan, Slutskaya, Cohen, Suguri) were all close. In the end, I think the results came down to politics, reputation, and skate order. So maybe Fumie got the unfair end of the stick for her relatively low rep and early skating order, but I wouldn't say she was 'robbed'. I really do think Sasha would have won gold if she landed that 3/3 - even with the fall, a couple judges still placed her above Sarah.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345