253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slutskaya

103 40.71%
  • Kwan

142 56.13%
  • neither, someone else

8 3.16%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I dont understand how this poll is close. One would think it was a vote between Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim where Kim leading 80-72 would be about right, but it is Irina freaking Slutskaya. Do people even consider the fat cow an all time great skater at all. I would hope nobody even has her in the top 10 since her skating is so ugly. I hope the 80 who vote for Irina just happen to not care for Kwan's skating, as I would hate to think anyone thinks of Irina as "great".
    I thought you liked Slutskaya, Your Honor.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I'm more curious about those who chose the "other" option. Which skaters would you/those assert as the best of this era?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I'm more curious about those who chose the "other" option. Which skaters would you/those assert as the best of this era?
    Well considering there are a small number of fans who consider Cohen a better skater than Slutskaya, and a small number who consider her a better skater than Kwan, there are probably an even smaller number who consider her better than both. I am pretty sure the few other votes are for Cohen, even if most probably consider Lipinski and Arakawa and even Chen greater (and better overall) skaters than Cohen. Cohen tends to have the widest range of opinions amongst fans since she is very special, very flawed, and never became a real champion in the sport all at once.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Well considering there are a small number of fans who consider Cohen a better skater than Slutskaya, and a small number who consider her a better skater than Kwan, there are probably an even smaller number who consider her better than both. I am pretty sure the few other votes are for Cohen, even if most probably consider Lipinski and Arakawa and even Chen greater (and better overall) skaters than Cohen. Cohen tends to have the widest range of opinions amongst fans since she is very special, very flawed, and never became a real champion in the sport all at once.
    She could have been a real USA champion if Kwan hadn't played it that she was actually in it for the '06 season. It diminished Sasha's only victory because Kwan's PR team projected that Kwan could have beaten Sasha if only she had a few more weeks, which we eventually learned was not true. I think Sasha-- like the rest of us-- would have preferred Michele was healthy enough to skate in '06. It would have made Sasha's likely victory look more legitimate. I do think that if Kwan had been healthy, she might have won, but I would still bet on Sasha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Definitely Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Definitely Hughes.
    Emily Hughes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Not everyone in the audience likes to see exact precision in a skater.

Again, not everyone wants to see those.

So some things Irina was better at, and some things Michelle was better at, which is almost always the case when two great skaters are compared, and then it comes down to personal preference.
    This isn't about what people want to see or personal preference. What I said are displays of skating skills and quality eecution which are relevant since we are discussing who is the better skater, not who people want to see.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Was it that girl that was Jill Trenary minus the Aquanet and triple jumps? Dorothy Hamill - crying + squealing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    She could have been a real USA champion if Kwan hadn't played it that she was actually in it for the '06 season. It diminished Sasha's only victory because Kwan's PR team projected that Kwan could have beaten Sasha if only she had a few more weeks, which we eventually learned was not true. I think Sasha-- like the rest of us-- would have preferred Michele was healthy enough to skate in '06. It would have made Sasha's likely victory look more legitimate. I do think that if Kwan had been healthy, she might have won, but I would still bet on Sasha.
    i don't remember things being so dire. I actually predicted that what happened at 06 worlds would happen at 06 nats. Imagine my surprise to find my spidery sense off by two comps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Was it that girl that was Jill Trenary minus the Aquanet and triple jumps? Dorothy Hamill - crying + squealing.
    Anyone who would put down Dorothy Hamill - especially because she didn't have triple jumps during an era when NO ONE had triple jumps - just shows if nothing worse, that the person knows very little skating history. And besides, Dorothy doesn't deserve anyone's scorn. She is an Olympic champion who has always been a great representative for skating & she had always handled herself with poise & grace.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady
    She could have been a real USA champion if Kwan hadn't played it that she was actually in it for the '06 season.
    Yeah, Michelle put herself through all that hell just so she could rain on Sasha's parade. Oh yes, and also so she could keep Emily from her rightful place at the opening ceremony.

vCash
    Dorothy is one of my favorite skaters ever but she did receive some criticsm even at the time she was dominating since she wasnt attempting triples at a time many of the other top skaters already were. Christine Errath and Diane DeLeeuw her two biggest rivals both were doing triples, as were young Anett Poetzsch and Linda Fratianne. The criticsm reached its height at U.S Nationals when she turned in for her standards a very blah performance and people saw young firecracker Linda skated amazingly with 2 huge triples to open her program and still handily lose to Dorothy. Come Olympics though when Dorothy was at her very best the quality of everything- jumps, spins, spirals, stroking, were so superior to all the other leading skaters that nobody cared about the lack of a triple many of the others were already doing anymore.

It wasnt like triples were foreign at that point though. It wasnt the Peggy Fleming era. Triples were already somewhat prominent by then. Dorothy probably could have easily done them but knew she didnt need them to win if she skated well.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Anyone who would put down Dorothy Hamill - especially because she didn't have triple jumps during an era when NO ONE had triple jumps - just shows if nothing worse, that the person knows very little skating history. And besides, Dorothy doesn't deserve anyone's scorn. She is an Olympic champion who has always been a great representative for skating & she had always handled herself with poise & grace.:
    Or you totally missed the references ...

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1...3500256575.jpg
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-18-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This isn't about what people want to see or personal preference. What I said are displays of skating skills and quality eecution which are relevant since we are discussing who is the better skater, not who people want to see.
    Yes, you're right. However, I was simply responding to a post above my own. I can understand why that's frustrating for you when you've asked something different, but thread drift happens all the time. Virtually every time a new thread is started, it has changed subject matter by the end.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 07-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    sure keep irina,
    michelle had more pressure.
    irina wasn't pleasing for me . she was jerky. didnt finish her jumps by that i mean no flow. always stop.
    didn't center her spins .

vCash
    I voted for Kwan by a slight margin. This poll shows why I voted for Slutskaya or Kwan in the weakest competition poll. Any other the 15 or so era of ladies skating in history it would be a debate between 4, 5, or 6 skaters as the best of that era. Even if there was a consensus choice there would be more than 2 people being considered. Yet here with 200 or more people voting only 5 think someone other than those 2 was the best of that era. The Slutskaya and Kwan era was probably the longest ever too, it was like 10 years long if we consider 96-06 and still there is no other worthy people that come near the caliber of skater of either in such a long time frame.

It seems that those 2 are considered above 5 levels better a skater than anyone else in their era, and it is like there was only 2 skaters who existed in that era. Shows lack of depth and that is was an era lacking in many good skaters.

vCash
    I am surprised that they're so evenly voted, though I presume there are people who are sick of Kwan this and Kwan that so they're voting for her opponent haha.

Seriously though, Kwan is the definition of a complete ladies skater and she was on top of her game for a very long time. She is well loved, and for good reason. Slutskaya, on the other hand, had more natural jumps but left a sloppy impression in my eyes. She had some amazing performances (2005 worlds) but as a whole isn't quite the same level as Kwan to me. Jumps aside, Slutskaya loses in my eyes due to her poorer posture and lines, and sometimes very questionable musical interpretation abilities (though programs like her 2002 SP come to mind where she really had a whole package). We unfortunately didn't see that enough from her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    I voted for Kwan by a slight margin. This poll shows why I voted for Slutskaya or Kwan in the weakest competition poll. Any other the 15 or so era of ladies skating in history it would be a debate between 4, 5, or 6 skaters as the best of that era. Even if there was a consensus choice there would be more than 2 people being considered. Yet here with 200 or more people voting only 5 think someone other than those 2 was the best of that era. The Slutskaya and Kwan era was probably the longest ever too, it was like 10 years long if we consider 96-06 and still there is no other worthy people that come near the caliber of skater of either in such a long time frame.

It seems that those 2 are considered above 5 levels better a skater than anyone else in their era, and it is like there was only 2 skaters who existed in that era. Shows lack of depth and that is was an era lacking in many good skaters.
    Or maybe some people think Kwan and Slutskaya were just that good. I'd argue that many of the skaters under them could have been competitive in prior eras. If we don't consider compulsories I mean.

vCash
    I voted for Kwan because she was one of the prettiest skaters of any era.

vCash
    Slutskaya had better jump combinations, jumps, spins, footwork, speed, and stroking power. So I voted for her as the best skater of that era with Kwan a close second. Irina also had a slightly greater career overall.

vCash
    I can understand why many will want to vote for Irina simply so that Michelle won't win or run away with another poll, but this one is a no-brainer. Michelle is the best skater of the two, and has the best results of the two.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast