• Kwan

142 56.13%
  • neither, someone else

8 3.16%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Now im not a fan of kwan. But it is clear she was the overall better skater

vCash
    It is close but I chose the superior technical skater over the superior presentation skater, since while figure skating is both a sport and art, I believe it is a sport first and art second. Both technical and artistic abilities are important, and while Kwan has much inferior technical abilities to Irina, and Irina inferior artistic abilities to Michelle, both still are pretty good in both and combine both well. Although there are skaters even in very recent times who combine technical and artistic better than both- Yamaguchi, Asada, Kim, Kostner on a good day, possibly Ito.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am not sure it is fair to give Slutskaya the edge in Olympics when Kwan didn't compete in one of them. That season was not really a part of the Kwan/Slutskaya era as Kwan was done in 2005. So, IMO, Kwan edges out Slutskaya since when they were both competing Kwan got a silver and bronze whereas Slutskaya was 5th and a silver. Overall it is no contest, Kwan was a much better skater. You can prefer one over the other all you like but I don't think many skating experts would try and say Slutskaya was a better SKATER.
    I am sure in the U.S there are almost no experts who would say that, just like in Russia probably almost all experts would be biased and say Slutskaya. What a neutral country expert would say I really dont know, but Eurosport commentators over the years which have no Russians are atleast as favorable in their praise of Irina as they are Michelle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by usova94gold View Post
    It is close but I chose the superior technical skater over the superior presentation skater, since while figure skating is both a sport and art, I believe it is a sport first and art second. Both technical and artistic abilities are important, and while Kwan has much inferior technical abilities to Irina, and Irina inferior artistic abilities to Michelle, both still are pretty good in both and combine both well. Although there are skaters even in very recent times who combine technical and artistic better than both- Yamaguchi, Asada, Kim, Kostner on a good day, possibly Ito.
    How was Kwan inferior technically to Slutskaya?

Likewise, how was Slutskaya inferior to Kwan artistically or presentation-wise?

Your statements seem like gross generalizations that are not fair to either skater or representative of their respective abilities.

O-

vCash
    IMO Slutskaya superior technically since she had much higher and more powerful jumps, a truer lutz, could do much harder jump combinations, had stronger spins, had as strong or stronger footwork, and skated with more speed and power.

Kwan stronger in presentation since she had much better lines, positions, more elegance, more grace, more style, more maturity and sophistication, and a more dainty quality. She also usually interpreted music better, although there are a few exceptions.

vCash
    You say my comments are generalizations yet most have said including commentators and experts that Irina is the strongest technical skater of the Kwan field, and Kwan the strongest artistic skater of the Irina field, and one is stronger than the other in the other. How is it a generalization when I am only saying what everyone else has said. The debate to who is better is evaluating their careers and whether one feels the overall technical gap or overall presentation gap is more, but there doesnt seem any question which side each is stronger than the other in. Have you ever heard an expert say Kwan was the better technical skater or Irina the better presentation skater.

vCash
    Repeating others' generalizations does not make them any less generalized and does not make them fact.

Irina rarely landed difficult jump combinations in competition. I believe Kwan landed more 3/3s in competition than Irina did in their respective careers. I'm sure both ladies could land difficult jump combinations in practice. In fact, I saw them both do that on a number of occasions (having attended several competitions over the years). Irina's jump landings often came to a standstill while Kwan had far more flow out of her jumps. Irina usually got more height than Kwan did on her jumps, but not always and not all jumps. These are just a few examples of specifics.

You're entitled to your opinion, usova94gold, but it would carry more weight if you pointed to specifics and backed up your opinion rather than regurgitated what others have said.

O-

vCash
    michelle for me.

i could saya lot of things but michelle for me for winning the 5 worlds,

shouldnt count europeans since couldn't compete anyway. 4cc neither did sasha, sarah, . but in fact irina one with 3jumps shouldn't have but did.
    during that time it was perceived if one won the gp final, the other skated well and won worlds. sometimes worked out sometimes didnt.

irina is a great skater.

but these polls between skaters is more personally perference anyway

vCash
    While Kwan wasn't as good as she was in the late '90s, she was still better (results-wise and skating-wise) than Slutskaya. Btw, when do you consider the Kwan and Slutskaya era to have started? 2000? 2002?

vCash
    Slute could outjump and outspin Kwan, but could never attain the same level of quality and precision to her skating like Kwan did. She never had the same body awareness - Kwan almost always knew how her arms or legs (and most importantly, her back) should be positioned.

Kwan had displayed a variety of positions on deep edges (spread eagle, hydroblade, edge pulls, ina bauers etc). I don't remember Slute doing many (or any) of those, nor do I remember Slute doing many (or any) split jumps or leaps.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Slute could outjump and outspin Kwan, but could never attain the same level of quality and precision to her skating like Kwan did.
    Not everyone in the audience likes to see exact precision in a skater.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    nor do I remember Slute doing many (or any) split jumps or leaps.
    Again, not everyone wants to see those.

So some things Irina was better at, and some things Michelle was better at, which is almost always the case when two great skaters are compared, and then it comes down to personal preference.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    It is a really tough call. Kwan has the edge at Worlds, but Slutskaya has an amazing Worlds record too. Slutskaya has the big edge at the Grand Prix final which is like a mini Worlds, and the edge in most other things. Olympics is even or Slutskaya slightly ahead, especialy since she was robbed of the 2002 gold.

I voted Kwan but I can see how Slutskaya has many votes. I hate Irina's skating and I hate her attitude towards Maria so that is part of the reason I voted for Michelle. I admit I dont like Irina and I am biased against her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    I'd say Irina simply because she was more aesthetically pleasing to watch.
    I'd say you must be joking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    I hate Irina's skating and I hate her attitude towards Maria so that is part of the reason I voted for Michelle. I admit I dont like Irina and I am biased against her.
    Good for you to admit it openly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I read in the movies thread that orientalplane did not find Henry Cavill attractive at all. So here's just another proof of some...uncommon taste. (Slutskaya's leading the poll now, so maybe not that uncommon).

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Three cheers and a cask of real ale for uncommon taste.

(I voted for Kwan, btw.)
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Why? Is it likely that if you showed videos of Irina's best skating and Michelle's best skating to all the citizens of the world, they would all choose Michelle because it's obvious that one lady is more aesthetically pleasing? I'd say you must be joking. Tastes differ. How boring it would be if they didn't.

It's not as if I'm saying, "I admit I don't like Michelle and I am biased against her" as someone seems to have written about Slutskaya. Kwan was a fine skater, technically consistent and very nice to watch. However, I still preferred watching Irina.

As for Henry Cavill, I don't even know who he is, so whatever I said about him can only have been a joke that maybe some people didn't appreciate.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Although I think Michelle Kwan should be leading this poll big time, it's nice to see her not win a "Best" poll for a change.

vCash
    I dont understand how this poll is close. One would think it was a vote between Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim where Kim leading 80-72 would be about right, but it is Irina freaking Slutskaya. Do people even consider the fat cow an all time great skater at all. I would hope nobody even has her in the top 10 since her skating is so ugly. I hope the 80 who vote for Irina just happen to not care for Kwan's skating, as I would hate to think anyone thinks of Irina as "great".

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I hope you get banned, lovey.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast