103 40.71%
  • Kwan

142 56.13%
  • neither, someone else

8 3.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Best skater of Kwan/Slutskaya era- Kwan or Slutskaya

Who was the best skater of the Slutskaya/Kwan era. Was it Irina Slutskaya or Michelle Kwan. Kwan has the edge in World medals 9 to 6, but Irina has the big edge in Grand Prix final titles 4 to 1, and all those European titles while Kwan always bypassed Four Continents. Irina at the Olympics has a silver, bronze, and 5th vs Kwan who has a silver, bronze, and WD, so slightly better there too. I think Irina has more grand prix wins, and was a more regular participient. Both have a Goodwill Games. Irina was the much better technical skater and Kwan the better presentation skater.

vCash
    People like Asada and Kim are not part of this era by the way.

vCash
    What ??? Kwan is not leading this poll ???

I voted for Michelle, of course

vCash
    I choose Kwan simply because her overall skating was stronger. Also the FCCs in Kwan's time was not considered an important event at all comparable to Europeans. Slutskaya does have more GPFs and GP wins, but Kwan has more world medals/titles, and had a better Olympics in 98 than Slutskaya had in 02 and 06.

vCash
    3 extra World titles > 3 extra Grand Prix final titles. Had Irina won 1 of the 3 Worlds she lost to Michelle and it been 4 World titles to 3, or had she won the 2006 Olympics she would have a decent case. However as it is defnitely Michelle.

Plus her skating was more complete, rich, and polished, and she was more in the image of what people would like to see in ladies skating.

vCash
    Kwan. I can't believe Slutskaya is winning atm!

vCash
    Kwan. The reason being, you asked for best skater, not best results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Kwan. The reason being, you asked for best skater, not best results.
    Wouldnt Kwan be best results as well however?

vCash
    Go KWEEN!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am not sure it is fair to give Slutskaya the edge in Olympics when Kwan didn't compete in one of them. That season was not really a part of the Kwan/Slutskaya era as Kwan was done in 2005. So, IMO, Kwan edges out Slutskaya since when they were both competing Kwan got a silver and bronze whereas Slutskaya was 5th and a silver. Overall it is no contest, Kwan was a much better skater. You can prefer one over the other all you like but I don't think many skating experts would try and say Slutskaya was a better SKATER.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Kwan was by far the better skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Wouldnt Kwan be best results as well however?
    Yes, but that is the only viable argument that anyone could have. Kwan had much better technique, and style.

vCash
    What happened to the poll? I don't see any "buttons."
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Okay, they're back now.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    No, my vote only got them tied. How can Slutskaya be considered on par with Michelle???
    Irina could do some great footwork on one foot that covered the whole length of the rink and she had really good speed but other than that, in what way was her skating better?
    I mean, even when you compare their crossovers, MK should win hands down!!

vCash
    They pushed each other from about 2000-2002 but prior to that Irina wasn't on Michelle's level. She was a podium threat but I don't believe she beat Michelle prior to that time. 2003/2004 Irina was gone and by the time she came back in 2005 Michelle was on her last leg.

Results aside, Michelle was a much more complete skater than Irina was. Irina was a fast powerful jumper with good (yet sloppy) spins but she never could match Michelle in terms of polish, presentation, artistry or consistency. Irina was the better GP skater during that span of time they went head to head but she was unable to sustain that level over the course of the season and often lost to Michelle at worlds.

4CC is a negligible competition when you talk about these two. 4CC didn't become a big deal until 2008 when the top world competitors started showing up...way after both Michelle and Irina had retired from the sport.

Irina was a great competitor but in terms of the better overall skater, there's no competition.

vCash
    Slutskaya was an infamously sloppy skater. She did have big jumps, which counts for something.

Michelle won where it mattered most, at Worlds. (except Slutskaya placed above her in SLC, but both LPs were not good. She also beat in her in several GPFs)

I'd say Michelle simply because she was more aesthetically pleasing to watch and was a very textbook skater. Slute was all over the place.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I voted for Michelle overall in this case.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    I'd say Michelle simply because she was more aesthetically pleasing to watch
    I'd say Irina simply because she was more aesthetically pleasing to watch.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Irina for me ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast