Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    Ugh at this news, although given Gay's surprising improvements in times over the past year, not surprising.
    Just last week, Tyson ran 9.79 to beat Asafa Powell (9.88) to win Diamond League Lausanne 100m, and ran 9.75 to win the 100m at the U.S. Track and Field Championships. Guess that improvement was too good to be true...

vCash
    I'm afraid to see the news these days just in case I find out one day that Bolt is guilty too.

Sometimes you just want to believe that there are freaks of nature (and I mean that in a good way) who can do things that require a suspension of disbelief. I want to believe he is one of those, like Michael Phelps seems to be. I know that the majority of these runners are "helped" but sometimes you want to be less jaded and believe that sometimes it isn't the drugs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I'm afraid to see the news these days just in case I find out one day that Bolt is guilty too.

Sometimes you just want to believe that there are freaks of nature (and I mean that in a good way) who can do things that require a suspension of disbelief. I want to believe he is one of those, like Michael Phelps seems to be. I know that the majority of these runners are "helped" but sometimes you want to be less jaded and believe that sometimes it isn't the drugs...
    Funny you say that they interviewed Donovan Bailey the other day he was very disappointed and stunned at these positive test and doesn't understand why veteren guys like these 2 would risk all they've accomplished but he said he whole-heartedly believes that Bolt is like Phelps and Tiger Woods. Just that gifted, from such a young age. I hope he's right.

I'm not shocked by Powell's positive test but I must say I'm extremely disappointed in Tyson Gay. Sad.

vCash
    The ONLY reason I have to think that Bolt might actually be clean is that he doesn't have the classic "marker" of a doper -- dramatic time increases in a short amount of time, inevitably accompanied by a "new training regimen." He's been superhumanly fast for a long time and basically has maintained those times without suspect drops and improvements.

Tyson Gay, on the other hand, seemed stuck at the 3rd/4th place level until this year, when he started pulling 9.69. Should have raised a red flag to doping authorities.

And while we're at it we will never know since she's no longer with us but Flo Jo really had the classic doping pattern -- again, an okay to good runner stuck in times and then wham! World records that no female sprinter has even come close to breaking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    The ONLY reason I have to think that Bolt might actually be clean is that he doesn't have the classic "marker" of a doper -- dramatic time increases in a short amount of time, inevitably accompanied by a "new training regimen." He's been superhumanly fast for a long time and basically has maintained those times without suspect drops and improvements.

Tyson Gay, on the other hand, seemed stuck at the 3rd/4th place level until this year, when he started pulling 9.69. Should have raised a red flag to doping authorities.

And while we're at it we will never know since she's no longer with us but Flo Jo really had the classic doping pattern -- again, an okay to good runner stuck in times and then wham! World records that no female sprinter has even come close to breaking.
    Gay won the World titles in the 100m and 200m at the 2007 World Championships. Since then, aside from a brief period in 09-10 when he ran 9.69 at 2009 Worlds and beat Bolt in 2010, he's been injured. The times that he is running this year are in line with what he ran when he was healthy in 2009.

I think Bolt is insanely talented, but I also think he is doping. Almost every one of the sprinters who has finished behind Bolt in the last 5 years has tested positive at some point. It's very hard for me to believe that a clean Bolt is just that much better than everyone else who is cheating, just like I never thought a clean Lance Armstrong was better than all of the dopers who finished behind him. I tend to think all of the top sprinters are mostly on the same playing field--they're all doping, and Bolt is the best of the bunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Gay won the World titles in the 100m and 200m at the 2007 World Championships. Since then, aside from a brief period in 09-10 when he ran 9.69 at 2009 Worlds and beat Bolt in 2010, he's been injured. The times that he is running this year are in line with what he ran when he was healthy in 2009.

I think Bolt is insanely talented, but I also think he is doping. Almost every one of the sprinters who has finished behind Bolt in the last 5 years has tested positive at some point. It's very hard for me to believe that a clean Bolt is just that much better than everyone else who is cheating, just like I never thought a clean Lance Armstrong was better than all of the dopers who finished behind him. I tend to think all of the top sprinters are mostly on the same playing field--they're all doping, and Bolt is the best of the bunch.
    Yes but my point was Gay is 30, and it's unusual for someone to make such rapid improvements in time after coming off an injury. Perhaps he thought PED's would "speed up" his recovery.

As for Bolt I see your point. But Bolt's times have also been extremely consistent over long periods. If anyone makes me more suspicious it's Yohan Blake, because he did have the rapid improvements in time and also, I believe, a "new trainer." I don't know, maybe I just desperately don't want to believe Bolt is doping and there is at least ONE clean runner in the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    Bolt has been running insane times since he was a junior - in 2002 he ran the 200m in 20.58 aged 15, and when he was 16 he was running similar times to the ones Michael Johnson was running aged 20. So either he is a super human freak of nature, or you have to think that he was doping from his teens.

I am more inclined to think that he's clean. He has a huge stride length. His actual leg speed might be slower than that of his rivals, but his great advantage is his height in the sprinter mould. He is the one athlete who probably is clean and can achieve what he has done without drugs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12