View Poll Results: (corrected) who is the best male pro skater?- Pick 3

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Boitano

    37 20.56%
  • Scott Hamilton

    23 12.78%
  • Paul Wylie

    13 7.22%
  • Brian Orser

    8 4.44%
  • Kurt Browning

    122 67.78%
  • Viktor Petrenko

    16 8.89%
  • Ilia Kulik

    25 13.89%
  • Alexei Yagudin

    27 15.00%
  • Jeff Buttle

    26 14.44%
  • Stephane Lambiel

    42 23.33%
  • Toller Cranston

    10 5.56%
  • Other (Specify)

    15 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 129
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    I don't agree that your choices are "righter" than mine, yes. There are many reasons why I chose videos that I chose. I might discuss them in that separate thread if you open it. I might not. And it has nothing to do with the age difference. And with this thread.
    I understand that you had your reasons. It was/is just my opinion that the videos I posted show those programs better. It's true that in most cases I stated it as a fact, simply because I do believe that the best fan videos often show skater's skating/programs better than the official videos, and videos that focus only on skaters almost always show their skating better than the videos that focus on the singer just as much as on the skater/skaters. I posted those videos of Stephane because I wanted to, and I don't think that I had to ask you for permission - this is not your personal fan group, or even your thread. The lack of considerable age difference was just one of the reasons (and a non-essential one at that, indeed) why I think that you are not in a position to lecture me. End of "discussion".
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.

  2. #22
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    I voted Other (Rudy Galindo). He always entertains me.

    Question for Boitano fans. Do you just like his style, or do you see variety in his programs? I swear he's skated the exact same program since turning professional. Kurt's programs are so varied, but Boitano to me just seems to do the exact same thing over and over and over.............
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    323
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Question for Boitano fans. Do you just like his style, or do you see variety in his programs? I swear he's skated the exact same program since turning professional. Kurt's programs are so varied, but Boitano to me just seems to do the exact same thing over and over and over.............
    Had exactly the same question and same thoughts

    My pick is Stéphane. Kurt is a genius but so is Stéphane. And Stéphane is more exciting for me lol. I like how he keeps creating those masterpiece show programs (maybe not every single one but lots of them). I like how he challenges himself outside his comfort zone which is balletic lyrical skating to a beautiful classical music piece or to a heartbreaking popsong. He is trying mini drama scene (Don't stop the music), rock (Paint it black), musical with stage moves (A Chorus Line). I like how he challenges himself with those quads again and again. And he's so damn handsome - not a bad thing either for a pro skater.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The complexity/variety/excitement of the footwowk and transitions in Browning's programs is unmatched in my book. After watching Kurt skate, I feel that the skating of most of the other pro men on the list is just...basic. Watch Ain't No Sunshine or Triptico if you don't believe me. lol I don't care that he lost his hair.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hands down, Kurt M-Fing Browning! No one like him, no one better!

    I'd put Lambiel as 2nd and Buttle as 3rd. Both are good but no one is better than Kurt.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    The complexity/variety/excitement of the footwowk and transitions in Browning's programs is unmatched in my book. After watching Kurt skate, I feel that the skating of most of the other pro men on the list is just...basic. Watch Ain't No Sunshine or Triptico if you don't believe me. lol I don't care that he lost his hair.
    I don't remember anyone saying that they don't believe that Kurt is the best when it comes to using footwork as a means to express the music . He is also an incredible performer. There is no one like him when it comes to comical/humorous programs - he has turned that form of entertainment into art. But he also does serious programs really well.

    So, I would agree that the footwork of most of the men on the list can seem basic compared to Kurt's. But, no matter how important that is in figure skating, there are also other means of expression in it at which some of those skaters excel. I would single out Lambiel and Buttle for their incredible musicality and grace, and for other things as well, but probably also Cranston and Wylie for that special something that they had. Plus, of course Curry (definitely the most balletic male skater ever, and one of if not the most elegant), and Robin Cousins, both of whom are not mentioned in this poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Hands down, Kurt M-Fing Browning! No one like him, no one better!

    I'd put Lambiel as 2nd and Buttle as 3rd. Both are good but no one is better than Kurt.
    For his whole professional career definitely Kurt, yes, as he dominated the professional scene for so long when professional competitions were still taking place. I also agree that there is no one like him, and no one better. Still, in my opinion, Curry, Robin Cousins and Lambiel are all very different from Browning and, at the same time, equal to him in their own ways. Some of the other ones are close.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.

  7. #27
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43617
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I voted Other (Rudy Galindo). He always entertains me.

    Question for Boitano fans. Do you just like his style, or do you see variety in his programs? I swear he's skated the exact same program since turning professional. Kurt's programs are so varied, but Boitano to me just seems to do the exact same thing over and over and over.............
    I also don't understand the votes for Boitano, and agree he has only ever skated one professional program over and over. Even the costumes barely changed. Airplane arms, perfect jumps, great spread eagle, lots of crossovers both forward and backward - over and over and over.
    My picks are Kurt of course, though I'm not a great fan of his trying to be funny numbers (except Ragodin where he really was funny, and the straw man from Wizard of Oz)), Buttle for his extraordinary musicality and expressiveness, and Lambiel for the same, though I've seen some fabulous programs from Petrenko over the years. His "Birth of the Blues" is one of the best show performances I've seen.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I also don't understand the votes for Boitano, and agree he has only ever skated one professional program over and over. Even the costumes barely changed. Airplane arms, perfect jumps, great spread eagle, lots of crossovers both forward and backward - over and over and over.
    My picks are Kurt of course, though I'm not a great fan of his trying to be funny numbers (except Ragodin where he really was funny, and the straw man from
    For sure!

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4947
    I am not even remotely a fan of Boitano's skating and agree 100% that his programs are almost all the same and completely boring, but I would still consider it reasonable to vote for him in a poll like this simply because of the way he upped the ante with respect to technical content as a pro. I may not have any interest in watching his skating (his programs almost always get skipped if I watch an old pro competition) but I do respect the dedication he had to maintaining his technical content. He really forced all of the other men to step up their game.

    I ended up voting for Browning only because it was too hard to pick the next two I do agree with allilou about Kurt's "attempting to be funny programs"...even though I did enjoy Ragidon, I wish it hadn't been such a success because I think it gave Kurt too much encouragement to keep going in that direction and those programs got old fast. Luckily he had so many other amazing programs that it makes him pretty much unbeatable. The work he did as director and choreographer for last year's SOI show was also incredible. But what I was most amazed at was when watching him do "Feelin' Good" live at SOI last year, I had goosebumps...and in a show where he was 18 years older than the next oldest skater and included some of my favorite skaters (Rochette, Buttle, Virtue/Moir), I still walked away saying that Kurt's performance was the highlight. That says a lot right there.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kurt.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I‘d pick 3 skaters who left best artistic impacts on me.

    Curry, Lambiel, Cousins

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I voted Other (Rudy Galindo). He always entertains me.

    Question for Boitano fans. Do you just like his style, or do you see variety in his programs? I swear he's skated the exact same program since turning professional. Kurt's programs are so varied, but Boitano to me just seems to do the exact same thing over and over and over.............
    Are you talking about "The music of the night" ?

  13. #33

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,317
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    The complexity/variety/excitement of the footwowk and transitions in Browning's programs is unmatched in my book. After watching Kurt skate, I feel that the skating of most of the other pro men on the list is just...basic. Watch Ain't No Sunshine or Triptico if you don't believe me. lol I don't care that he lost his hair.
    Kurt puts a lot of emphasis on the footwork and he's an absolute master, but I don't feel that the best programs from the current top pros (IMO) like Lambiel and Buttle are anything less or anything trivial. They may not put as much focus on the footwork per se but there is still a decent amount and the programs are complex (with moves that involve real mastery of the blades), musical and well thought out / constructed. You don't need a program to be filled with footwork for it to be a masterpiece. Lambiel, in particular, uses his entire body freely to express the music and the different themes which I find pretty unrivaled.
    Last edited by shine; 07-17-2013 at 01:54 PM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ciocioworld
    Posts
    578
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Browning

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Kurt puts a lot of emphasis on the footwork and he's an absolute master, but I don't feel that the best programs from the current top pros (IMO) like Lambiel and Buttle are anything less or anything trivial. They may not put as much focus on the footwork per se but there is still a decent amount and the programs are complex (with moves that involve real mastery of the blades), musical and well thought out / constructed. You don't need a program to be filled with footwork for it to be a masterpiece. Lambiel, in particular, uses his entire body freely to express the music and the different themes which I find pretty unrivaled.
    I agree completely, and I couldn't have said that better myself.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,175
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So, I would agree that the footwork of most of the men on the list can seem basic compared to Kurt's. But, no matter how important that is in figure skating, there are also other means of expression in it at which some of those skaters excel.
    Kurt puts a lot of emphasis on the footwork and he's an absolute master, but I don't feel that the best programs from the current top pros (IMO) like Lambiel and Buttle are anything less or anything trivial.

    The way I see my post about Kurt, I didn't imply any criticism of or disdain for any form of expression in figure skating, I just wanted to point out why Browning's pro skating is so special to me. However, I have this disquieting feeling that I ruffled some feathers here.

  17. #37
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Twilight Zone
    Posts
    7,005
    vCash
    12630
    Rep Power
    92255
    I love so many of them - Kurt, Rudy, Scott, Todd, etc., but I voted for Viktor Petrenko.

    I always loved this program in particular:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZBCRkAg4k
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

  18. #38

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,317
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I find it pretty amusing that Alexei Yagudin has 13 votes (3 more votes than Ilia Kulik). Hasn't he literally been skating the same program since like 2004?

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,334
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    The way I see my post about Kurt, I didn't imply any criticism of or disdain for any form of expression in figure skating, I just wanted to point out why Browning's pro skating is so special to me. However, I have this disquieting feeling that I ruffled some feathers here.
    I understood that, but the word "basic" caught my attention. As I already said, I can mostly agree about footwork, but not overall - at least not about all of the mentioned skaters. But it's true that you wrote "most of the other pro men on the list", not "all of the". You just didn't specify who are those "most of the" in your opinion, and who are the few you deem to be okay, leaving us guessing .

    Your phrase "if you don't believe me" also struck me as quite strange, since no one had expressed any doubt about Kurt's genius footwork, and he has by far the most votes in this poll.

    Anyway, what does "ruffled some feathers" mean? Hopefully not some kind of an insinuation? To be clear, yes, Stephane is my favorite skater. From the current skaters (meaning, those who are still skating regularly), Kurt is definitely my second favorite, but I haven't decided whether I prefer John Curry and Robin Cousins over him if we are talking about male skaters of all times. Jeffrey is my forth favorite current skater (Daisuke being the third).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-17-2013 at 11:16 PM.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alexei Yagudin
    In his career he has achieved more than just putting on solo performances: now he acts in musical and dramatic ice shows and is getting more and more success in these.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •