42 23.33%
  • Toller Cranston

10 5.56%
  • Other (Specify)

15 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I like them all, I love some of Yagudin's pro numbers too. His lighter and Latino style later should have been very interesting to see in amateur competitions. it's a pity he retired too early. It's pointless to argue whose programs are masterpieces especially when people have different tastes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    It is my impression that skater X's last serious program was from 2003 before he turned pro and he has been repeatedly performing old eligible programs in shows since. However, I would like to be proven wrong. So if you have any video of his good, non-trivial pro programs, post away!
    With the attitude you have towards skater X (sorry, I didn't really follow all the "fan fights" here, but just to be sure, we're talking about Yagudin, right?) I don't think this will persuade you, but here are two his pro-programs I really liked:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yGy3G_3YY - Flamenco (created around second half of 2007, I think)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8d0U20sb08 - Blues for klook (created also around 2006-2007 if I'm not mistaken)

In general I don't understand the need of some fans to bash other skaters to make "their" skater look better (I'm not talking only about the discussion here). Believe me, if "your" skater is indeed good, he is absolutely good, not relatively, no need to prove that others are bad.

vCash
    Here is another one
    Yagudin - The Feeling Begins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj2KXR778g

I remember this program because GP skated to the same music. After I watch this, I was like"Wow, what a lost".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    I'm curious too to know how all Lambiel's programs look the same. Which ones have you seen?
    Lambiel's programs look the same in a way like he's always a sweet sugar. . I watched half of his programs listed in the previous post. Yagudin with his more natural, more organic style, also super musicality and emotional, to me more like fresh air. It's my personal impression, you don't have to agree with me. I personally prefer fresh air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Lambiel's programs look the same in a way like he's always a sweet sugar. . I watched half of his programs listed in the previous post.
    Also they look the same because they all are skated by Lambiel, yes.
    I don't know which half you watched, but I really don't know how the person should watch "My Body is a Cage" and "Paint It Black", for example, to see there "sweet sugar".

It's normal if you don't like his style of skating and prefer someone's else, we are different, we like different things and prefer different styles (me personally I don't see anything more natural and definitely don't find more musicality in Yagudin, but it's my own opinion). But to argument it with "programs look the same" for his programs, out of all people, is just ridiculous, sorry.
    Last edited by reut; 07-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.

vCash
    Lambiel's programs look the same in a way like he's always a sweet sugar. . I watched half of his programs listed in the previous post. Yagudin with his more natural, more organic style, also super musicality and emotional, to me more like fresh air. It's my personal impression, you don't have to agree with me. I personally prefer fresh air.
    Thanks for the answer Yay that your answer is really funny!
    Yeah, we all see only our favourites and are not able to appreciate others. I many times think if I take someone, who's skating I wasn't very interested, watch and concentrate, maybe I'll discover something completely new and fresh for myself!

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    This is a very-very old group number Ari used with slightly different "cast" since 2010. I won't call it original or choreographically challenging, but it was indeed epic to see those four together.

vCash
    Although I think Lambiel is the second best artistic skater (behind John Curry) & is very versatile, I can understand that someone feels Lambiel's programs look same/similar.
    Last edited by t.mann; 07-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Sorry, but, unlike others, I can't be short about this.

What does "sweet sugar" mean for you? Is that light and joyful? Or is it sophisticated and refined? I suppose it must be the second, because 'Don't Stop The Music', 'My Body Is a Cage', 'Paint It Black' and 'Prelude in G minor' are not light and joyful in any way. Even 'Violin Concerto in D Major' and 'Bring Me To Life' are not joyful, although 'Violin Concerto in D Major' was originally meant to be. The ideas and themes of those programs simply don't allow it.

And what does ''natural" and "organic" mean? You couldn't mean a skater being himself in his programs by that, because Yagudin too has shown different images and played different roles that are not just himself in his programs - the same as Lambiel. And in my opinion a real artist must be able to play different roles, not just be himself. So, what you mean is probably something like a little "rough around the edges" which Yagudin is indeed - as opposed to Lambiel who is sophisticated, refined (although not as much as Curry) and controlled in the sense that practically all of his choreographies/moves are carefully thought out in his programs. But I still can't understand how it is "all the same" when almost each of Lambiel's programs have a different theme/idea, if not the overall style, and different choreography especially created for that particular music, style and theme. With a few "one day" exceptions (like 'Last Dance') his programs are not just rearrangements of the same elements and moves to different music as show programs of some other skaters tend to be. Of course, there are moves that Lambiel uses in several of his programs, but I don't think that there is a skater who doesn't have such moves or steps.

As for the light, joyful and "sweet" programs - well, actually they are very natural to Lambiel, probably more so than other programs. As his fan who has "followed" him for years I understand that it's how he really is. Of course, he is also different, and probably some of that shows in his other programs.

And are you kidding me? Lambiel not musical? Not emotional? Perhaps you didn't mean it like that, but it seemed like you are saying that Yagudin is musical and emotional, but Lambiel is not. I agree that Yagudin is musical too, but in what way he is more musical than Lambiel who has his every move connected to the music (and choreographed so that it would accentuate the music)? I think that both of them are emotional, just showing it in different ways. Yagudin shows emotions with energetic movements, but when he tries to show them also on his face, I feel like it's sometimes a bit over the top (that's only my personal feeling, of course). Lambiel, on the other hand, shows emotions both with his movements and expressions without being over the top. That's one of the things that I love about him - he is never so completely calm as Curry or Robin Cousins could be (and most often were) - even when there is a moment of calm, intensity and passion is still simmering just below the surface. It is s not always all out, but it's there.

Despite my long rant I understand that if some artist's performance doesn't touch (or "catch" ) one instantly, then there is no desire to try to look deeper. And it is only normal - I am no different, although I like to at least try to understand what other people see in artists whom I don't instantly like. I am not trying to persuade you or someone else to do that, just trying to understand your very general and vague statements.

I must say sorry for this to other people on this thread, but unicorn's answer really surprised me, and I felt like I had to clarify some things - or at least try to clarify them, as I am not sure if she/he will answer me.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-25-2013 at 09:56 PM.

vCash
    I was so relieved that my super long post was over (not that anyone forced me to write it ) that I forgot to add some things. Good things this time.

I wanted to say that I am glad that there are so many great skaters with such different styles. The (skating) world would be a boring place indeed if all the skaters were alike. It's so wonderful - being able to watch and appreciate skaters who are very different and skate in different styles/manners. I love Curry, but I love Browning equally, although they are very different. I love Lambiel, but I also like Plushenko, no matter how strange it can seem to some Lambiel fans. There are many more examples - also from female skaters, ice dancers and pairs.

And I like Yagudin too for that matter, if that was not clear. Despite what I said there are some programs from the recent years that I like. 'Bumbarash' is certainly one of them. I quite like his more recent 'Burn my Shadow' program too. And then some earlier ones - 'Flamenco' and 'Blues for Klook' that reut posted. And from even more earlier ones - 'The Feeling Begins'/'Passion', 'Moon Over Bourbon Street'. As I wrote, Yagudin's recent programs don't excite me that much, and I almost always feel like something is missing from them, but that doesn't mean that I don't like them.

vCash
    Browning, Boitano, and Lambiel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Although I think Lambiel is the second best artistic skater (behind John Curry) & is very versatile, I can understand that someone feels Lambiel's programs look same/similar.
    I do. So similar... and always the nice guy..those are the most exciting things what he is doing in backstage. No, I was wrong, I saw a program that was very excitnig, he was with some girls..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    What does "sweet sugar" mean for you?
    Interpret it whatever way you like. I found I just lost the interest to reply to your post seriously.
    Once again, I disagree with your crap,,,sorry your opinion, about Yagudin. Fortunately, how you feel the interpretation of music by different people is subjective, while musicality and sophistication are objective, that's actually something you can visibly see. That would have been the 9th wonder of the world if he could step on each beat of the music by chance every time without that musicality and total control of his blades.
    who cares who you really like, it's that some people keep posting those non-factual things about certain skaters to mislead people makes me feel it's just so low.
    And hey, here's another program of Yagudin's, I didn't see any of his facial expression, but they lift the audiences to their feet again.

Romance by Yagudin and his partner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqkzOUMDa5c

vCash
    As to Yagudin's keep performing his Olympic programs, I really hope all skaters can have that kind of legendary performance, can let people still keep asking him to perform them in various shows after many years. I really sincerely do.

vCash
    If unicorn and lauravvv can't agree with each other for anything, maybe they'll both agree with me this is a brilliant example of versatility in figure skating. While the performer is the same, the two programs don't feel the same at all, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTU5Ust0lCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbuHrO_bcwU

And talk about making the difficult look easy. Just amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    If unicorn and lauravvv can't agree with each other for anything, maybe they'll both agree with me this is a brilliant example of versatility in figure skating. While the performer is the same, the two programs don't feel the same at all, do they?

Thanks for posting, I was thinking about post his videos too, but I thought lots of people might have seen his skating, seems he's quite famous on this board.
    Speaking of gushing people, I found Scott Hamilton beat us all

Scott Hmiltion:"Watch him skate to something like this, you know he's not just skating to the music, it's part of him."
    If you want to see fine skating, beautiful interpretation of music and yet manly, watch him. He's such a tall guy, but look at those soft knees.

I like this one too
    Robin Cousins "Satan Takes A Holiday"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7sSuPpmcc

vCash
    ^^^
    No skater had the "range" of programs over a long career that Robin did.
    His performance of "Satan Takes A Holiday" at the 1985 World Pro was even better than this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

Thank you. I've seen both of those programs (among many others) and 'Satan Takes A Holiday' which unicorn posted, and I certainly agree about Robin . I voted for him in the original poll where he was included.

What is funny, I never really disagreed with unicorn about Yagudin, but for some reason she/he just seems intent on reading something that is not even there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast