Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am going to make an assumption here: Cory was doing drugs and drinking with friends the night he died.

Ok, with that assumption in mind: I always wonder how these friends feel after one of their own dies from an overdose. How would I feel knowing that I was doing drugs with a friend who had been in rehab and he ended up dead the next day? I would feel so guilty. Not everyone has the same addiction problems, some people can use drugs and be fine and go about their life and not use again for weeks or months. But if you know someone is an addict and you use with them and they die...wow, how horrible must that feel?
    Maybe we was fine all night and did drugs in his room after he got back. I wouldn't call out his friends until some of them speak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    (which I don't think he was)
    Well, he'd admittedly struggled with drugs since he was like 13, so over 15 years; and he had been to rehab, multiple times I think. That might fit the definition. I never done any sort of drugs though, so I don't know how much you have to do to fit the title. I think he has admitted to being an addict, at least in the past; is that the same as a junkie?

Coroner says alcohol and heroin
    http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment...ays-6C10651460

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I did. I was referring back to this article - a senseless, preventable death of a teen idol for every generation. Although in my train of thought I was also thinking about 'Rebel without a cause'. Wasn't the accident caused by excessive speed and dangerous driving? Still preventable, if so.
    I agree, reckless behavior doesn't need to involve drugs and alcohol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Maybe we was fine all night and did drugs in his room after he got back. I wouldn't call out his friends until some of them speak.
    The police said no drugs or evidence of drug use was found in his room

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    That's weird. The police constable quoted in the article that says it the coroner said it was a drug overdose said this
    and there was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose,"
    Montague said.

Maybe evidence consistent with overdose is no the same thing as evidence of use?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well, he'd admittedly struggled with drugs since he was like 13, so over 15 years; and he had been to rehab, multiple times I think. That might fit the definition. I never done any sort of drugs though, so I don't know how much you have to do to fit the title. I think he has admitted to being an addict, at least in the past; is that the same as a junkie?
    I don't think being an addict is the same thing as being a junkie. it's that rectangle/square thing - all junkies are addicts, but not all addicts are junkies (....yet). And someone who is in recovery might have been a junkie, but they aren't currently (but they're still an addict). I think of the term "junkie" being more about behavior than the addiction itself.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    The official cause of death is an accidental heroin and alcohol overdose:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...sSector&rpc=43

And it sounds like they did find evidence of drugs in his hotel room.

So, so sad. Addiction sucks. Big time.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I wasn't "calling out" his friends. I was making an assumption, which I meant to imply that I had no idea if it was true. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough. Anyway, I was wondering about the friends situation in more general terms. I wasn't calling out his friends in particular. As was noted, we don't know who he was with or if he did it alone in his hotel room.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I never heard that. I did hear that they wouldn't comment on things at that time.

vCash
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...gic-death.html

There's a couple pictures of him in Vancouver. He's with a girl who is holding two cans of beer. I know that doesn't exactly prove anything, but it doesn't paint a very promising picture, either.

vCash
    I never heard that. I did hear that they wouldn't comment on things at that time.
    I've never heard that either. All the police said initially was that they did not suspect foul play; they made no comment on what was or was not found at the scene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...gic-death.html

There's a couple pictures of him in Vancouver. He's with a girl who is holding two cans of beer. I know that doesn't exactly prove anything, but it doesn't paint a very promising picture, either.
    My best friend is an alcoholic (more than 10 years sober) and she buys alcohol, holds drinks for people, drinks drinks that look like alcohol, and acts "drunk", all the time. These pictures were printed to add to gossip, and they don't prove anything and paint whatever picture you want to see. If Cory hadn't died, no one would have cared about these pictures, but reading into them now doesn't help anything either.

vCash
    Just a few blocks from his hotel is a neighbourhood with parts that are basically open air drug markets. If he didn't want to be sober, he didn't have to sneak drinks of beer at a motorbike shop a couple of miles away.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    A casual friend on FB posted a link to the cause and then something like "countdown to rabid anti-junkie response 3-2-1...". I think she is anticipating cries about him being a junkie (which I don't think he was), but all I could think was, is there a pro-junkie contingent somewhere?
    maybe, but they probably sold their computers for crack

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    maybe, but they probably sold their computers for crack
    I think you mean they sold their grandmother's computer for crack.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I've never heard that either. All the police said initially was that they did not suspect foul play; they made no comment on what was or was not found at the scene.
    That was the first statement. The second was that there was no evidence of illicit drug use. Now they're saying that there was. Part of me suspects either a journalistic embellishment at some point or a desire not to have it published as a foregone conclusion as the cause of death before the autopsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieann
    IMO, I don't think they will speak. It's been several days...they've been silent. I'm deducing that these friends aren't in the public eye and want to keep it that way. They were in his room with him at some point, and then out with him. At the very least, they drank with an addict, which is questionable

Kudos to the Canadian police and press for keeping a lid on this - in terms of no paparazzi photos appearing of Lea or his family, no hunting down of the friends and chasing them, etc etc.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I don't think being an addict is the same thing as being a junkie. it's that rectangle/square thing - all junkies are addicts, but not all addicts are junkies (....yet). And someone who is in recovery might have been a junkie, but they aren't currently (but they're still an addict). I think of the term "junkie" being more about behavior than the addiction itself.
    Interesting take, but not the distinction I would make. To me the difference between junkie and (drug) addict has more to do with socioeconomics than behaviour. "Junkie" can sometimes have connotations of street-living, rock-bottom, anything-for-a-fix dynamic, but really, that's all shades of grey. Monteith, due to his financial circumstances, wouldn't be in that situation, but his "junkieness" or user behaviour differs from that of a street user only in its postal code.

Most dictionaries make far less of a distinction between the two terms: junkie is simply a slang term for addict, esp. heroin addict ("junk" being a slang word for heroin).

But really, addiction is addiction, and maybe if society didn't made allowances for "partying" of the rich and famous, and didn't see it for what it is, we'd be one step closer to solving the addiction problems we have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But really, addiction is addiction, and maybe if society didn't made allowances for "partying" of the rich and famous, and didn't see it for what it is, we'd be one step closer to solving the addiction problems we have.
    But isn't a key element of addiction a dependency on the substance? "Partying" is not something that is reserved for the rich and famous. Many people party at the weekend and take substances (alcohol or drugs) but they aren't necessarily addicts.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    And it sounds like they did find evidence of drugs in his hotel room.
    The only statements I've seen re drugs were that he "died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol" (coroner) and there was "evidence of a drug overdose" in the room (police). I haven't seen anything to indicate there were drugs or evidence of actual drug use in the room (although there easily could have been both); they seem to be careful about saying evidence of a drug overdose.

I'm no medical expert, but I imagine that could mean that there was evidence that suggested he was overdosing - perhaps he threw up and/or passed out, or perhaps the placement of the body suggested he was reacting to the overdose when he died. The room's furnishings might have suggested that he was disoriented for a period, or that he was trying to open a window because he was having trouble breathing. Just speculating of course, but the point is that perhaps there was compelling evidence that didn't include actual drugs or drug equipment in the room. The police then said that the coroner's report was consistent with their findings - sounds to me like they had a theory of what happened, and the autopsy confirmed it.

It's possible that he used the drugs before he got back to the hotel room, perhaps topped up on some alcohol from the mini bar, and then died. Then that might lead back to the question of where did he get the heroin, when/where did he use it, and who was he with at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The only statements I've seen re drugs were that he "died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol" (coroner) and there was "evidence of a drug overdose" in the room (police). I haven't seen anything to indicate there were drugs or evidence of actual drug use in the room (although there easily could have been both); they seem to be careful about saying evidence of a drug overdose.
    They aren't giving details of what they found. But, to me, evidence of a drug overdose is evidence that Cory acquired drugs and used them. That is new information. Feel free to parse my language, but I don't get the point of that kind of parsing or trying to speculate that the evidence of the drug overdose was that he was trying to open a window because he was having trouble breathing. The bottom line is that the poor guy used drugs and he died from an overdose in his hotel room, and there was evidence of that in his hotel room.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast