Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

vCash
    I mentioned Cory's age because you mentioned how much scarier drugs are today than when you were a teen.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    Well I am in my forties and ecstasy wasn't around, nor was meth, and OxyContin, Percodan etc as well as the date rape drug, or Special K. I was a "good" girl but still even the kids who were doing drugs when I grew up in Ottawa Canada in my teen years weren't doing much more then pot or getting drunk. Coke was and is pretty expensive and I am sure some kids did it but I still think drugs are more used today by teens. Just working in the hotel at the grads a lot of the kids were clearly doing ecstasy or were talking about doing it later. There was massive security and no in and out privileges for the kids. One of the girls I work with while not a teen but only 20 talks about her drug use and partying and I was flabbergasted by how much she does and how it something she has been doing since high school. And seems very common. I also have a friend we works in clubs and ecstacy is huge. Granted again not teens, but from what I understand from the teens I talk to it is pretty common.
    I am your age and I don't think there's been any big change, although popularity for certain drugs comes and goes (which admittedly may be driven by availability). when I was younger, heroin was for "losers" and the drugs of choice were pot, cocaine, LSD/mushrooms and later ecstacy, but there was no shortage of drugs available.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I mean seriously...did we forget the 1960s and 1970s?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I mean seriously...did we forget the 1960s and 1970s?
    Many of us weren't around to remember them... drug culture wasn't heavily taught in my high school textbooks.

vCash
    I hope that the special 3rd episode treats all this with respect, without turning into an after-school special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I am your age and I don't think there's been any big change, although popularity for certain drugs comes and goes (which admittedly may be driven by availability). when I was younger, heroin was for "losers" and the drugs of choice were pot, cocaine, LSD/mushrooms and later ecstacy, but there was no shortage of drugs available.
    But from my understanding(other then heroin) Crystal meth, GHB, Special K and pharmaceuticals are all more dangerous then all the ones you mentioned. Especially when some are combined with alcohol. I don't think about it in terms so much of shortages etc but what types of drugs are available. Coke can be pretty bad as well, of course depending on how you use it. I don't have any real statistics to back me up. It is just a general feeling I get from the young people I do talk to and see.I wasn't talking about shortages so much as what is being used.

vCash
    Like I mentioned before, I could see them using drugs as more of a storyline for the following episodes. Like one of the main characters begins doing drugs as a means of trying to cope with Finn's death. IMO that would be a more realistic way to do it with what we know of the characters, and it would provide more of a message in the end. I don't know who they would choose to be the character though. If Cory weren't Lea's boyfriend, I could see it being Rachel - with dealing with Finn's death, plus the stress of (presumably) getting the part in Funny Girl. But it could also maybe be Ryder, since Finn is the one who got him into Glee and he's got his death, plus the stress over the Unique situation to deal with. It would be interesting for them to use this to actually give Schuester a storyline for the first time really since the first season.

vCash
    Chantilly, I agree that there are more choices of dangerous drugs available today. However, the drugs from the '70s were pretty dangerous, as Genevieve points out. One thing to acknowledge is that prescription drugs are more available today. And they are extremely dangerous simply because of the uninformed perception that if it's prescription, it's safe. The numbers of prescription related ODs and deaths is staggering, compared to illegal drugs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Chantilly, I agree that there are more choices of dangerous drugs available today. However, the drugs from the '70s were pretty dangerous, as Genevieve points out. One thing to acknowledge is that prescription drugs are more available today. And they are extremely dangerous simply because of the uninformed perception that if it's prescription, it's safe. The numbers of prescription related ODs and deaths is staggering, compared to illegal drugs.
    Yeah, I saw. I looked it up. And from what I understand crazy expensive. And highly highly addictive, some reports more then heroin. What I also read is that teens are using them the most after pot and alcohol. It's also the misuse of these drugs, like snorting OxyContin for example that is the problem.

I was too young to remember the 70s but I do recall that PCP or angel dust was quite dangerous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Many of us weren't around to remember them... drug culture wasn't heavily taught in my high school textbooks.
    I was too young to remember them as well, but from what I was taught about the drug culture during that period, it doesn't seem too different from now. Except now, people know the adverse effects of drugs so the media writes about it (especially celebrity drug deaths which sells a lot of papers, get more viewers, or gives sites more hits).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I thought that PSA was pretty brilliant actually.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011