Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 213
  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Or the creators could write a whole new character based on their relationship with Cory and develop the story over the course of a whole season. This might be an even more powerful teaching tool.
    Not sure I understand. I would love to hear more about your idea.

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,212
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Twitter:

    broadway.com ‏@broadwaycom 5m
    GLEE goes on hiatus while producers rework storyline following the death of star Cory Monteith: http://bit.ly/18qpbTv

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,505
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    ^^^
    I would, as well.

    No surprise about the delay; as it will take time to adjust to the situation, and do the needed rewrites, whatever decisions they make.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,122
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was shocked that his drug of chose was Heroin.
    That's pretty hardcore.

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,122
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Or the creators could write a whole new character based on their relationship with Cory and develop the story over the course of a whole season. This might be an even more powerful teaching tool.
    That sounds like a very good idea.

  6. #146
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,057
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Not sure I understand. I would love to hear more about your idea.
    The writers would create a new character who (by all accounts) is hard working, talented, generous with others, but who struggles with succumbing and overcoming his/her addiction issues over the course of a season, or over multiple seasons. The basis of the character would be Cory Monteith, but they could obviously craft the story to whatever outcome they deem fitting.

    It would not even have to necessarily be a heorin addiction the character suffers from, but perhaps alcohol, prescription pills, or even an eating disorder.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  7. #147
    Canadian ladies über
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm on the fast track!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,290
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5605
    The season premiere should be Finn's funeral. Each character could give a speech and sing a song in tribute to him etc. It could be a very powerful episode.

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    The writers would create a new character who (by all accounts) is hard working, talented, generous with others, but who struggles with succumbing and overcoming his/her addiction issues over the course of a season, or over multiple seasons. The basis of the character would be Cory Monteith, but they could obviously craft the story to whatever outcome they deem fitting.

    It would not even have to necessarily be a heorin addiction the character suffers from, but perhaps alcohol, prescription pills, or even an eating disorder.
    A very interesting idea. I think it would be a softer way of dealing with it. Maybe doing something like that, in addition to a memorial type of show, could really impact young people who need to be warned about what can happen in real life. I worry that our society is so used to seeing characters murdered, killing, dying from drug overdoses, that it would not be as real to them. I think your idea is good, but they need to make sure that the reality of Cory's death is not lost.

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    nj/ny
    Posts
    1,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ironically Cory might have been better off going to a state-run hospital for detox than a pricey private rehab center. At those private pricey rehab centers there's an emphasis on psychotherapy and abstinence-only detox which is very difficult for heroin addicts. Heroin addicts usually need "maintenance" medication not only to deal with the horrible withdrawal effects but to stop their toxic habit of trusting "street" dealer's powder. Very tragic.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    That whole cast were such wonderful people. What a sad news and moment.

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    The season premiere should be Finn's funeral. Each character could give a speech and sing a song in tribute to him etc. It could be a very powerful episode.
    I wonder what they will do. That is a good idea.

  12. #152

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    behind the door...
    Posts
    224
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    1160
    Hmmm...what about the old TV standby: recasting?

    The season could open with Finn having been in a horrible car crash, and in hospital bandaged from head to toe. (Could also be in a coma if the writers want to play it that way). After weeks and weeks of extensive reconstructive surgery (i.e. whenever the writers deem the time is right), they remove the bandages an VOILA! The new Finn is revealed. If it plays well with the audience, then Finn and Rachael get to rediscover their relationship. If it doesn't play well with the audience, then they get to end their relationship and give everyone some resolution.

    I just had to mention this option, because it was done so often on TV shows in the 60's and 70's...but with today's audiences so closely associating fictional characters with the actual actors, I don't think it would fly. I'm pretty sure Glee fans would not accept anyone else in the role of Finn.

    And just to be clear, it's not the option I would want either. I'm just putting it out for discussion because, as remote as it seems, it is a possibility.
    just my two cents...

  13. #153

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    That would be a perfectly fine option for a daytime soap but would never happen in a million years on Glee. lol I think you are right about people associating the actors with their characters. Social media allows fans to get to know not only the character but the person who acts. The lines are so blurred.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  14. #154
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,968
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    37429
    Glad to hear that the show is going in hiatus...they need to completely rethink the season, and anything other than a sudden death to the Finn character would feel fake. Dallas did an excellent job with the passing of Larry Hagman - a man who has been synonymous with the character of JR Ewing for 35 years - but they had to have been prepared, as Hagman's illness was known.

    Finn would not have to die of a drug overdose and it would be better if he didn't - perhaps, like peibeck said, there could be a future character modeled after Monteith.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  15. #155

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,824
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    37756
    They should pay tribute to Finn, but the writers of Glee need to take a page out of Cheers to figure out how to re-direct a show that was centered around a pair that was supposed to end up together in the end with it no longer being possible. It will help make it not only successful but breathe new life into the series.

    Of course Shelley Long chose to leave Cheers and the writers knew about it a season ahead of time, so that made it easier to figure out what to do with Sam/Diane and afterwards.

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    They should pay tribute to Finn, but the writers of Glee need to take a page out of Cheers to figure out how to re-direct a show that was centered around a pair that was supposed to end up together in the end with it no longer being possible. It will help make it not only successful but breathe new life into the series.

    Of course Shelley Long chose to leave Cheers and the writers knew about it a season ahead of time, so that made it easier to figure out what to do with Sam/Diane and afterwards.
    It might have been easier for Glee to do this if they hadn't turned Brody(?) into a prostitute. I liked him!! He and Rachel could have worked. Or, they could bring back the amazing Jesse St. James!!!

    I do have to say though, that any episode(s) dealing with Finn's death will bring out a lot of emotion in the actors, and I'm sincerely hoping that Glee will not choose to submit those episodes for Emmy consideration next year

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Finn would not have to die of a drug overdose and it would be better if he didn't - perhaps, like peibeck said, there could be a future character modeled after Monteith.
    He would not have to. But, I genuinely believe that doing that could be meaningful in a drug education way. His tragic death could save someone else.

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    He would not have to. But, I genuinely believe that doing that could be meaningful in a drug education way. His tragic death could save someone else.
    I'm thinking that a less Monteith-ish way to go about it is to have Finn be killed by someone who was on drugs (like caught in a convenience store robbery or something). That way, it still educates about the dangers of drugs, but doesn't so much 'profit' off of Cory's life and struggles by making a character based on him.

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think that it would be more powerful if they did an addiction storyline with another character and have Finn die some other way. I doubt that they are even considering having Finn just leave town. If Finn died of a drug overdose, it would bethe first time he tried drugs.

  20. #160

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,824
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    37756
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I'm thinking that a less Monteith-ish way to go about it is to have Finn be killed by someone who was on drugs (like caught in a convenience store robbery or something). That way, it still educates about the dangers of drugs, but doesn't so much 'profit' off of Cory's life and struggles by making a character based on him.

    I think that would just villainize addicts in a way that doesn't really paint the full picture as many don't commit violent felonies. I think a better message would be how addiction is dehabilitating and extremely difficult to keep under control no matter what sort of access one has for help. It would also be great if Glee talks about the myriad of reasons and the diversity of people who fall prey to drug addiction and the lengths they go through to hide it by being more or less functioning.


    I mean they could do a story of a "junkie" who lives on the streets and commit armed robberies, but that's already how we paint addicts (especially heroin and crack cocaine addicts) which let's face it, is not the core of Glee's demographic and only further isolate addicts from the "mainstream" and thus wouldn't be relatable.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •