Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 213
  1. #81

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,438
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4354
    This is a really lovely article about Cory and the death of teen idols in general. I think it's been written with a lot of consideration.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  2. #82

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    ^^^
    That's a fine, and measured article.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    7,798
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4937
    Its was heroin and alcohol:

    http://www.people.com/people/article...717941,00.html


    Hopefully one person learns from this tragedy and gets the help they need for their addiction.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    O**M**G...this just adds to the senselessness of his death!

    The Globe and Mail ‏@globeandmail 20s
    Glee actor Cory Monteith died of heroin and alcohol overdose: B.C. coroner http://tgam.ca/DsvV

  5. #85

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,438
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4354
    So sad

    Anyone who has ever tried to quit something knows how hard it is - whether it be food, drink, cigarettes, a person....or drugs. He could have fallen back in with an old, bad crowd, or had a bad day, or anything.

    May he at least be a cautionary tale
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33547
    His death was sad enough, but the fact that it was self-inflicted makes it even worse.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    I hope that this doesn't cause the public to think his death less of a tragedy.
    Addiction is a terrible disease; often stronger than even a sincere desire to end one's abuse.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,213
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I hope that this doesn't cause the public to think his death less of a tragedy.
    Addiction is a terrible disease; often stronger than even a sincere desire to end one's abuse.
    If anything, I think this news makes it MORE of a tragedy...so freaking sad!

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    I am going to make an assumption here: Cory was doing drugs and drinking with friends the night he died.

    Ok, with that assumption in mind: I always wonder how these friends feel after one of their own dies from an overdose. How would I feel knowing that I was doing drugs with a friend who had been in rehab and he ended up dead the next day? I would feel so guilty. Not everyone has the same addiction problems, some people can use drugs and be fine and go about their life and not use again for weeks or months. But if you know someone is an addict and you use with them and they die...wow, how horrible must that feel?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  10. #90

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,438
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4354
    Any premature death, regardless of the cause, is a tragedy. Like the article I posted before says, he has followed the path of others like Heath Ledger, River Phoenix, Kurt Cobain and James Dean. I don't think the manner takes anything from the tragedy...I think it adds to it. It was preventable...but not prevented. There's at least a sense of inevitability with underlying heart conditions, for example.

    It's just utterly horrible for his loved ones. I've lived through this with an old friend, and years on, it still causes more pain than the loss of another friend through cancer around the same time.

    I wonder if Glee will tackle drug addiction? I'm sure they won't do it right away, but since they're not afraid of social issues, they might in the future.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  11. #91

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    James Dean died in a car accident, not from drugs or alcohol. Unless by path you just mean dying at a young age, regardless of reason.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  12. #92
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,973
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    37429
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am going to make an assumption here: Cory was doing drugs and drinking with friends the night he died.
    I think a more likely assumption is that he was either with fans or people who are only friends/acquaintances through drug use. Monteith's addiction was so widely known that I can't imagine that anyone actually close to him would have been with him and actively encouraging him to use.

    OTOH, it's very hard to keep an addict from using, and it's not hard at all for an addict to find temporary friends with whom to use. Even if the addict isn't a famous star who probably makes tons of "friends" everywhere he goes who may be willing to do or put up with a lot to say they hung out with him.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,231
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Ok, with that assumption in mind: I always wonder how these friends feel after one of their own dies from an overdose. How would I feel knowing that I was doing drugs with a friend who had been in rehab and he ended up dead the next day? I would feel so guilty. Not everyone has the same addiction problems, some people can use drugs and be fine and go about their life and not use again for weeks or months. But if you know someone is an addict and you use with them and they die...wow, how horrible must that feel?
    Who knows how they feel. If they really felt anything, they would not have done drugs with a friend who had just gotten out of rehab for addiction. I know a person who was in rehab and while they were there, they got a letter from a stupid friend asking if they would still smoke pot when they got out. What a bleeping idiot! As I said up thread, another problem is that the addict using drugs, often doesn't see alcohol as a drug. They figure that since alcohol was not their drug of choice, they don't have a problem with that. Well, they're wrong. Anything that stimulates a high is dangerous to an addict.

    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Any premature death, regardless of the cause, is a tragedy. Like the article I posted before says, he has followed the path of others like Heath Ledger, River Phoenix, Kurt Cobain and James Dean. I don't think the manner takes anything from the tragedy...I think it adds to it. It was preventable...but not prevented. There's at least a sense of inevitability with underlying heart conditions, for example.

    It's just utterly horrible for his loved ones. I've lived through this with an old friend, and years on, it still causes more pain than the loss of another friend through cancer around the same time.

    I wonder if Glee will tackle drug addiction? I'm sure they won't do it right away, but since they're not afraid of social issues, they might in the future.
    I hope that Glee does tackle it. With sensitivity and information about the disease.

  14. #94

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,438
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4354
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    James Dean died in a car accident, not from drugs or alcohol. Unless by path you just mean dying at a young age, regardless of reason.
    I did. I was referring back to this article - a senseless, preventable death of a teen idol for every generation. Although in my train of thought I was also thinking about 'Rebel without a cause'. Wasn't the accident caused by excessive speed and dangerous driving? Still preventable, if so.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It seems likely that he indulged while out, prior to his return to the hotel, because the initial comments (made yesterday I believe) said that there was no evidence of illicit drug use, meaning the heroin was likely done elsewhere.

    Terrible, horrible to hear of all of this. And again, sending well wishes to all who loved him.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,007
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think a more likely assumption is that he was either with fans or people who are only friends/acquaintances through drug use
    That would probably be a safe assumption. A lot of these young stars have hangers on who only hang around them because their fame can get them things they couldn't get on their own. I read an interview with that Disney star Demi Lovato where she talked about all the friends she had before rehab, yet when she got out, she only had a few that were actually still around because most of them knew the party was over.

    Back to Cory's addiction problems; when he went to rehab, I read that a source (Yea, so take it with a grain of salt) that he and Lea actually drank together, but in a way "where he could handle it". Now, I'm not an addiction specialist, but is that really such a good idea? Seems like you should be doing everything you can to prevent someone with a history of substance abuse problems from drinking. Please know that I am in no way trying to place any blame on her, at all.

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Lea's rep released another statement after the autopsy results were announced. She has been with his family and is helping to make the arrangements.

    Lea is deeply grateful for all the love and support she’s received from family, friends, and fans. Since Cory’s passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together. We continue to ask the media to respect the privacy of Lea and Cory’s family.
    As much as I feel for her, this is the second statement she has released since the death, and she keeps asking for privacy. I never get why people ask for privacy through official statements that bring attention to them.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dramagrrl View Post
    Nope - the guy who plays Ryder (Blake Jenner) and the girl who plays Marley (Melissa Benoist) are apparently engaged.
    OPPS right person, wrong name. My only excuse is lack of sleep. I had never even read before that they were dating.

    I heard on CNN a couple hours that Cory died of a combination of alcohol and Heroin.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    As much as I feel for her, this is the second statement she has released since the death, and she keeps asking for privacy. I never get why people ask for privacy through official statements that bring attention to them.
    I think if I released a press release asking for privacy, it would only draw attention. She already has so much attention on her. I've read comments all over the internet about her, and I've also read article titles that were "How Lea is coping".

    They release statements, because to some extent they know they have to; he was a public figure. They ask for privacy because they don't want to say anything else and would like to be left alone.

  20. #100
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,973
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    37429
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    They release statements, because to some extent they know they have to; he was a public figure. They ask for privacy because they don't want to say anything else and would like to be left alone.
    Probably also to dispel any tabloid stories that purport to have anything about her reaction. In the celebrity world, absence of a statement leaves a lot of room for people to just make shit up.

    A casual friend on FB posted a link to the cause and then something like "countdown to rabid anti-junkie response 3-2-1...". I think she is anticipating cries about him being a junkie (which I don't think he was), but all I could think was, is there a pro-junkie contingent somewhere?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •