161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kostner

103 63.98%
  • Ando

58 36.02%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Kostner vs Ando- better career

This isnt a discussion on who is the better skater, which I think 99% would agree is Kostner. However who has had the better career of the two. Comparing them Ando has 1 more World title. However outside her 2 World title, has only 1 World bronze. Kostner has 1 World title, but 5 World medals overall. Kostner has won the Grand Prix final, and medalled at the somewhat prestigious event 3 times. Ando has never won it and only medalled once. Difficult to compare their European and Four Continent results given the weaker European field and Ando not even frequently skating at 4CCs. Neither has a strong Olympic result.

So basically it is Kostner`s 3 additional non gold World medals, and superior Grand Prix final results vs Ando`s 1 additional World title. I would give Kostner the slight edge for better career, as I just find with her large total of World medals spread out over a very long time, many European titles (even though Ando could probably have done nearly as well), and strong performances in the Grand Prix final her career is slightly more complete, but it is close and could easily go to Ando given her extra World title. If Kostner does the expected and medals in Sochi she is easily ahead.

vCash
    Very close. I have them tied essentially at this point. Kostner is still part of the medal hunt, and Ando I would be very surprised if she even skates the whole next season. Depending on how Kostner does next season, she may very well surpass Ando.

vCash
    Yeah, Kostner by a hair, but this will be even more definite if she medals in Sochi.

vCash
    Neither has won an Olympic medal (yet). Ando has two world titles. Carolina just won one. Regardless of what anyone says about skating skills, as far as career goes, Ando has had more success. That could change in 2014.

vCash
    Ando.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Kostner has had a better career due to all her World medals. 5 or 6 medals at Worlds to only 3 for Ando. 3 top two finishes at Worlds to only 2 for Ando. Plus her success in other events which is all much higher than Ando. That is enough to overcome one extra World title, which is the only edge Ando has on anything.

vCash
    Kostner because she is leaving behind a bunch of signature programs and performances from these past few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kostner because she is leaving behind a bunch of signature programs and performances from these past few years.
    Oh yes !
    In term of results, I can't say, but in term of impact and programs, Carolina Kostner had the best career, IMO.

vCash
    Miki was a bit underrated.. If there was not kim in skating world, I think I could see two japanese Mao vs Miki rivarly from 06-07 season which may be wonderful to see, because they would develop ladies figure skating the way combination of technical, also artistry. Especially in Technically They would do more harder, and harder jumps. I guess they would competitive in that way. Many think that miki is not so artistic but I don't think so. more than in competitions She is more artistic in ex http://youtu.be/IPvNjSYTrIU
    Last edited by torren; 07-15-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    It's like comparing Annette Poetzsch to Linda Fratianne.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

vCash
    Miki also has the legacy of being the first woman to get a quad ratified (we can argue until the end of time about the validity of it, but she has her name next to in in the history books) which helps her cause, so I voted for her.

vCash
    Well this is a close poll as I expected. Ando with 1 more World title, neither with a good Olympics, and Kostner having the edge over Ando in everything else (many more World medals, much better Grand Prix final results, more international wins around the World) which makes it a tough call. Hopefully Kostner pulls clear away next year, especialy considering she is the much better "skater" of the two.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I see it is a tie right now and I haven't made up my mind yet. They each have 28 points. I'll research some more and vote later.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Ando at this point! The only thing that may tip it in kostners favor is if she delivers and gets the olympic medal all judges want to give her.

vCash
    Kostner, no contest, and I am speaking just results and not skating abilities which would be an even bigger gap. Kostner has about double the World medals, all those European titles, all those Grand Prix final title and medals. Except for the 2nd World title Ando has nothing on Kostner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    Kostner has had a better career due to all her World medals. 5 or 6 medals at Worlds to only 3 for Ando. 3 top two finishes at Worlds to only 2 for Ando. Plus her success in other events which is all much higher than Ando. That is enough to overcome one extra World title, which is the only edge Ando has on anything.
    kostner got 5 not 6. and some of the very quite lucky like 2011 in moscow. ando instead was robbed in torino 2010 her world medal. i think regarding worlds only, ando is surely in front; no meltdowns and 12th place finishes like kostner has had and one world title more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    kostner got 5 not 6. and some of the very quite lucky like 2011 in moscow. ando instead was robbed in torino 2010 her world medal. i think regarding worlds only, ando is surely in front; no meltdowns and 12th place finishes like kostner has had and one world title more
    Kostner lucky in 2011? More like she had enough quality to carry her over despite not having the harder jumps.

And Ando robbed in 2010? Did you see her short program? Or the other 4 minutes in the free when she wasn't jumping?

If anything, it was Ando who was lucky to have won in 2011.

vCash
    It is pointless to argue who should have won over someone else in these polls. I'd say Ando's PCS in 2011 Worlds was laughable and she did not deserve the title.

vCash
    They were tied before my vote.
    I'm glad that Kostner is now leading.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    I'd say Ando's PCS in 2011 Worlds was laughable and she did not deserve the title.
    She did not do difficult jumps 3-3s. But she was artistic enough to get PCS she got. her skates were memorable and impressed than kim Yuna's.
    I guess you have bias in her that she is just a strong jumper...
    Last edited by torren; 07-17-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast