• Chan

85 75.22%
  • Ten

21 18.58%
  • Takahashi

36 31.86%
  • Plushenko

24 21.24%
  • another Japanese man (Kozuka, Oda, Mura)

6 5.31%
  • an American man (Abbott, Lysacek, Aaron)

15 13.27%
  • a French skater (Amodio, Joubert)

4 3.54%
  • Reynolds

5 4.42%
  • someone not included above or in an above category so far

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mens medalists at Sochi Olympics

At this point who would be your picks for the 3 medals (in whatever order) for men at the Sochi Olympics. It is multiple choice so please pick 3 different men, the 3 you would predict if you had to bet money on it to be the medalists in Sochi right now.

vCash
    I have a feeling Chan wont be on that podium, as unlikely as that might seem to some now. I am going to say Fernandez, Hanyu, and a real surprise for the other medal. I cant count on Ten, and I dont feel confident in Takahashi, and I certainly dont think it will be Lysacek, Plushenko, or Joubert. So a real surprise, maybe Reynolds or Aaron for the bronze.

I suspect most will vote for Chan, Fernandez, and Hanyu though, along with perhaps Takahashi.

vCash
    Please anyone but Reynolds. Except for his jumps which are not that impressive either his skating skills are lacking compared to the top men.

vCash
    I would hope Aaron medals before Reynolds if it comes to that. I see more potential in him of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I have a feeling Chan wont be on that podium, as unlikely as that might seem to some now. I am going to say Fernandez, Hanyu, and a real surprise for the other medal. I cant count on Ten, and I dont feel confident in Takahashi, and I certainly dont think it will be Lysacek, Plushenko, or Joubert. So a real surprise, maybe Reynolds or Aaron for the bronze.

I suspect most will vote for Chan, Fernandez, and Hanyu though, along with perhaps Takahashi.
    For some reason I agree with you that Chan won't be on the podium. My gut feeling says he will finish 4th and be flummoxed as to how that occurred. I might just be thinking of 2010 when he said he was going to win and then finished 5th, but yeah, just a feeling.

Voted for Fernandez, Hanyu and Takahashi. I think it'll be in that order, actually, or the first two switched around. Possibly the first Spanish men's champion?

vCash
    Why are Abbott, Aaron and Lysacek the only options for "an American man"? Of those three Aaron is the only one who's going to get anywhere near the Olympic team.

vCash
    Who could "someone not included above or in an above category so far" getting two votes be? Brezina, Gachinski, Rogozine, Kovtun, Farris? Speak up please.

vCash
    I'd say Chan is going to make the podium, but instead of winning I think he'll get silver or even bronze. Takahashi didn't have his best season in 12-13, but his seasons always go up and down (good in 09-10, worse in 10-11, good again in 11-12, worse again in 12-13), so I wouldn't count him out. He's still won the GPF this season and he's been fighting his way back up more than once already, I belive he still has it in him.
    For Ten, well... he had one good event. Yes, it was the most recent one, but that doesn't cancel out that he always had troubles before and will probably face more pressure now than he had before. He's a complete wildcard for me, and I'd rather wait for the beginning of the next season to really predict anything for him. Additionally, if really anyone skated clean, I doubt he could come close to Chan/Fernandez/Hanyu/Takahashi. He doesn't have the technical firepower to keep up with Fernandez and Hanyu, and he shouldn't be able to touch Chan and Takahashi on PCS (actually, he might lose in both categories to all four of them).
    Now comes the tricky part: Hanyu and Fernandez. Both of them are still moving up, but they're both less experienced than Chan and Takahashi. So if I'd have to pick now, I'd expect one of them to rise to the occasion and win the whole thing while the other one will likely falter and and end up lower, maybe 4th. So for now, I'd predict the podium to be Fernandez, Chan, Takahashi, with Hanyu in 4th - with my second pick being Hanyu, Chan, Takahashi and Fernandez in 4th

For other potential spoilers... I'd go with Kozuka. Yes, I know it's been a long time since he was skating really well, but it's not as if Reynolds or Aaron were perfect examples of consistency, and both are lacking visibly in the PCS department. Amodio could shake things up if he really skated well, and of course Plushenko, if he's really healthy, is a potential medal thread (and definitly the best competitor of all the guys mentioned, that shouldn't be underestimated).
    Maybe the new kids moving up could break through too - Farris or Brown, and maybe Han Yan if he goes instead of Nan Song.

vCash
    Chan wins, Fernendez gets silver and Plushenko will get scandalously bronze.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Since you specified "bet money on" I picked javi plush and takahashi. I think they are the most motivated, for various reasons. But I also think there are other motivated guys . I just don't know right now if they are MORE motivated than those 3. So. How much $$$ are we talking about anyway lol.

vCash
    1.Fernandez
    2.Takahashi
    3.Aaron

In that order.
    With Hanyu, Chan, and Plushenko following respectively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Possible scenario.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I don't think a bronze would be scandalous, it would be a great achievement!

vCash
    I don't understand why people think Chan is so vulnerable. As currently is, he needs to make a couple errors for his score to be equivalent to other contenders (Ten, Hanyu, Takahashi, Fernandez) if they go clean. And the other main medal contenders aren't consistent competitors either. The competition Chan faces has been getting tougher while Chan's Worlds performances seem to have deteriorated, but as of now, none of the men are consistent.

vCash
    I have a feeling that Chan won't be given a big lead in the SP even if he skated cleanly so that they can avoid anything scandalous like London worlds. At the Olympics, visible errors are usually more severely punished than other competitions. The atheletes prepare well for the most important event. I think at least 3 of the top contenders deliver satisfiable performances. If Chan's overall performances were like at London worlds (more exactly, anything other than 2011 worlds or 2012 4CC), he could be off the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Please anyone but Reynolds. Except for his jumps which are not that impressive either his skating skills are lacking compared to the top men.
    ITA!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I don't understand why people think Chan is so vulnerable. As currently is, he needs to make a couple errors for his score to be equivalent to other contenders (Ten, Hanyu, Takahashi, Fernandez) if they go clean. And the other main medal contenders aren't consistent competitors either. The competition Chan faces has been getting tougher while Chan's Worlds performances seem to have deteriorated, but as of now, none of the men are consistent.
    I genuinely believe that Chan is trending downwards and his competitors are trending upwards. Because of that I believe he's a soft favourite at best.

vCash
    Who else thinks jamesy and skateboy just want a French skater in their beds?

vCash
    It seems alot of people feel Chan will be 2nd or 3rd. However I am pretty sure that isnt the case. I have a feeling he will either win gold or be 4th or 5th and right out of the medals. I dont think it will be something in between.

Surprised to see such a huge number of votes for an American man to medal. One cant tell who the voters are referring to but I have a hard time seeing any of the current potential U.S men- headcase Abbott, low PCS Aaron, old Lysacek, coming anywhere near a medal of any color in Sochi.

vCash
    My picks are Kozuka,Brown,and Brezina with all seriousness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast