View Poll Results: What generation are you a part of?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • G.I. Generation (born 1901-1924)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation (born 1925-1942)

2 1.04%
  • Boom Generation (born 1943-1960)

45 23.32%
  • Generation X (born 1961-1981)

86 44.56%
  • Millennial Generation (born 1982-2004)

59 30.57%
  • Homeland Generation (born 2005-present)

1 0.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    For what it's worth, Quantcast has the following estimates of age-groups for visitors to this site from the U.S.:

< 18 7%

18-24 5%

25-34 33%

35-44 12%

45-54 18%

55-64 20%

65+ 4%

https://www.quantcast.com/fsuniverse...nder-container

I wonder whether there would be significant difference between the figures for the U.S. and those for the rest of the world.
    Absolutely. Given the diminishing birth rates in Europe (especially Italy), Japan, and especially China(1 child policy), the demographics would be very different. There is also a relatively steep birth rate in the Muslim world and India.

Even during the GenX generation in the US, the birth rate was steeply down and there is a significant trough for that generation, with far fewer individuals being born. There has been a significant upward trend in the birth rate for Gen Y and Millennials, not only based on a reversal of the "zero" population growth previously advocated but also the changes in the ethnic composition of the population

vCash
    Born in January of '82, so I'm stuck between X and Y (Millennial). I feel as though I can typically fit in with either generation.

vCash
    I'm Gen X and damn proud of it.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    In the US, Baby Boomers are those born between 1946 - 1964.
    Also, when I took high school Economics in 1992, we were told that the so-called "Generation X" was called the "Baby Bust" generation, due to the drop in the birth rate after 1964.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Some of those are really odd. It says if you were born between 75 and 82 that this would apply to you. "you never had a cell phone until you were 22." Ok, anyone born in the early 80s most likely had cell phones before being 22. "No email address until college." Again, no. "Used a type writer to fill out your college application." ABSOLUTELY NOT. That one is insane. Typewriters went out way before that time, even for those born in 75 I bet.
    Well...

I was 21 (born 10/24/1974) when I got my first cell phone, in 1996. It was an early version of the pre-paid phone. Plus I had a pager. And I used a typewriter to write papers until my parents got our first computer in 1994. But yes, I didn't have an email address until college, because my parents didn't get internet until 2000.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    We have a member of the board that's 8 years old (or younger)? Or someone's just messing around which is more likely, IMO.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    You hear it a lot here, as the US media is currently obsessed with millennials. Today there was a great piece throwing baby boomers under the bus for all bad things millennial. Apparently, we're suppose to believe that all millennials are Vita Pierce and if you want to know why Vita is such a horrid human being, the answer is it's all Mildred's fault. After all, you made me the way I am mother, you made me like this!
    Boomer - 1953. Actually, we boomers may have caused some issues with our kids. We were the hippies. We were the ones who were so against traditional parenting. We tried to reason with junior and explain to him why hitting his baby brother over the head with a hammer was not a wonderful idea, while junior continued to hit his baby brother over the head. What we should have done is taken the hammer away and sent them to their room. We were terrified of damaging their, oh so delicate, egos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    We have a member of the board that's 8 years old (or younger)? Or someone's just messing around which is more likely, IMO.
    It's probably some 113-year-old who is miffed because the thread starter didn't include her age group!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (I certainly wouldn't say I'm Gen X though...I'm just shocked to hear I'm a millenial. I thought there was a group in between.)
    I always thought Gen Y was between X and Millennials, too. My younger sister (82) and brother (86) are Gen Y, but my nephew (2010) would be a Millennial ... I thought? Guess they decided to start new. Never even heard of the Homeland Generation!

I was born in 1980 so I'm the last dregs of Gen X. I've heard that 75-81 - people who graduated HS before 2000 - be called the MTV Generation or Catalano Generation (always appreciate a My So-Called Life joke). I didn't get a cell phone until I was a junior in college (2000), but my parents were pretty computer-literate and we got internet in 1994.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Boomer - 1953. Actually, we boomers may have caused some issues with our kids. We were the hippies. We were the ones who were so against traditional parenting. We tried to reason with junior and explain to him why hitting his baby brother over the head with a hammer was not a wonderful idea, while junior continued to hit his baby brother over the head. What we should have done is taken the hammer away and sent them to their room. We were terrified of damaging their, oh so delicate, egos.
    Fie, Dr. Spock, Fie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    Fie, Dr. Spock, Fie!
    Yup!

vCash
    It's not like I hang out with the young ones all that often, but of those I know--the kids are great. Heck of a lot better than their parents and grumpy grandparents.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Gen X and I still have my latchkey from 6th grade.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I was born in 1980 so I'm the last dregs of Gen X. I've heard that 75-81 - people who graduated HS before 2000 - be called the MTV Generation.
    I watched the birth of MTV at a friend's house - the only people we knew with cable - in 1981. MTV was like nothing we ever saw. I can't fathom that someone born in 1980 would understand the significance of that.

Which is why generation years are stupid. I'm technically a Boomer who has no clue what it was like to be a teenager/young adult during the hippie years. You're a Gen X who has no clue what life was like before music videos. It's all a crap shoot.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Yeah, I agree that MTV is the line of demarcation for Gen X. If you don't know a world before cable tv then you're something else.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I always thought I was amongst the last of the baby boomers but going by the poll I guess I'm Generation X. I remember the birth of MTV, vcrs, CDs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Was Sonja Henie as good live as we've been told?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I watched the birth of MTV at a friend's house - the only people we knew with cable - in 1981. MTV was like nothing we ever saw. I can't fathom that someone born in 1980 would understand the significance of that.
    I don't think it's named that because the generation understands the significance, rather, that's the generation raised not knowing a world without MTV.

I do remember life before CDs. I had a Fisher Price record player that I used to listen to Michael Jackson on. I thought "Beat It" was about vegetables.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

These generations seem so broad. What is a current 31 year old supposed to have in common with a current 8 year old?
    Generations are broad because they span the time during which couples have children and siblings are seen to be of the same generation - the norm since the WWII era in North America has been for couples to have children within a 10 year period or so, but the window of time for procreation is roughly 20 years, on average, even if different couplings occur. And, children of the same generation will have their children at different times within that 20 year window.

The baby boom refers to babies born after the war and I've always considered fathers who were in the war to be the fathers of the baby boomers. My experience as a boomer is that most were born between 1946 and 1960 (I was born in 58), but some post-war couples did have children later. On the other hand, if you consider the 20 window to define a generation, Mr. Japanfan would be a boomer because he was born in 1963. But his parents were 20 when he was born - whereas my dad was 42 when I was born - and his dad was too young to go to war. So, he's really not a boomer in my opinion. And it seems at times that we are of a different generation - he calls me 'a child of the 70s'.

To be more precise, generations could be thought of in terms of experiences, such as: growing up in the Great Depression, living through the cultural revolution in China, coming of age as a hippie in the 70s, growing up with technology, etc., etc. Experiences are stronger common denominators than 20 year windows, but even that could get complicated because some definitive events or eras last for a long time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    X. Why is 2005 on called the Homeland generation? I've never heard this before.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast