View Poll Results: What generation are you a part of?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • G.I. Generation (born 1901-1924)

0 0%
  • Silent Generation (born 1925-1942)

2 1.04%
  • Boom Generation (born 1943-1960)

45 23.32%
  • Generation X (born 1961-1981)

86 44.56%
  • Millennial Generation (born 1982-2004)

59 30.57%
  • Homeland Generation (born 2005-present)

1 0.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Boomer...but I'm another who was under the impression that the baby boom lasted until the mid-60s.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Millennial. 1989.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I'm cusp born. Depending on who's list you read, I'm either last of the baby boomers or first of gen x.
    Close to the end of the baby boomers. It makes me feel old to think I am in the same "generation" as someone born in the 1940's!!!!

vCash
    X-er.

These generations seem so broad. What is a current 31 year old supposed to have in common with a current 8 year old?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    X-er.

These generations seem so broad. What is a current 31 year old supposed to have in common with a current 8 year old?
    I sympathize. I selected millennial (b. 1982), but I definitely have some Gen X tendencies. And I do feel I have little in common with those later millennial. Technically my twin nieces (b.2003) and I are both in the same generation, but obviously we don't have that much in common.

vCash
    I'm an X, I think, although some has me as a Y. I'll place myself as another Xy

vCash
    For what it's worth, Quantcast has the following estimates of age-groups for visitors to this site from the U.S.:

< 18 7%

18-24 5%

25-34 33%

35-44 12%

45-54 18%

55-64 20%

65+ 4%

https://www.quantcast.com/fsuniverse...nder-container

I wonder whether there would be significant difference between the figures for the U.S. and those for the rest of the world.

vCash
    I don't really understand the concept of how someone who could be my child age-wise and I can be the same generation. That's weird and doesn't make much sense. ...

vCash
    Gen-x

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    That's my first thought...

How could they be in the same generation? Who decides these generations?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm 1964 (in case you hadn't noticed ), and although the lists have me as a Boomer, I've never identified with them. I'm much more a Gen Xer.

vCash
    I am an X. This is the first I heard that the newest generation is called Homeland.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Baby Boomer, no question.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I am an X. This is the first I heard that the newest generation is called Homeland.
    Me, too. But they're too young yet to realize they're a generation.

I was born in '56 at the height of the baby boom. What non-boomers don't realize is that the earlier ones got to set all the trends, from hippiedom to yuppiedom, and we younger boomers just trailed along....
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Timely! 22 Signs You're Stuck Between Gen X and Millennials (Born in 1980, I can identify. And I had the exact cell phone pictured in #13! )

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I was born in 1982 so I am on the cusp of X and Millenial. I am not sure which one I feel I relate more to, I would have to read up on them.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Timely! 22 Signs You're Stuck Between Gen X and Millennials (Born in 1980, I can identify. And I had the exact cell phone pictured in #13! )
    Some of those are really odd. It says if you were born between 75 and 82 that this would apply to you. "you never had a cell phone until you were 22." Ok, anyone born in the early 80s most likely had cell phones before being 22. "No email address until college." Again, no. "Used a type writer to fill out your college application." ABSOLUTELY NOT. That one is insane. Typewriters went out way before that time, even for those born in 75 I bet.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Some of those are really odd. It says if you were born between 75 and 82 that this would apply to you. "you never had a cell phone until you were 22." Ok, anyone born in the early 80s most likely had cell phones before being 22. "No email address until college." Again, no. "Used a type writer to fill out your college application." ABSOLUTELY NOT. That one is insane. Typewriters went out way before that time, even for those born in 75 I bet.
    Many are a stretch, but not off the mark at all. Keep in mind I'm 2 years older than you (born in 1980), but it seems to make a difference in this case. I got a cell phone when I was 19, and was the only one of my group of friends to have one for several years. I remember a friend telling me his email address in grade 12, and it was "something at hot male" (that's how I heard it, anyway) and I totally thought he was joking. I didn't get my first email address until first year University. The typewriter thing is probably the biggest stretch, though I was typing high school reports on a very rudimentary computer, and several of my friends didn't have household computers during high school. We had an electric typewriter that I was probably still using in grade 9!

On the other hand, my brother, who was born in 1982, got a laptop during high school -- a giant brick of a thing that cost a fortune, but he was a huge computer nerd (and has done quite well for himself in the tech sector, I must say).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I've never heard of the millennial generations, I've only heard it referred to a Gen Y.
    I've heard of millennials but I never knew they were the same as Gen Y. I've always thought of myself (1982) as gen Y, and millennials as being much younger. I guess seeing as how this article puts 1982 as the first year of gen Y, it makes sense it would be the same, but I feel like I have nothing in common with the millenial descriptions I see; which I guess makes sense. I mean, I'm 31. Other people in my same generation are 9! Would we really have that much in common trait/attitude wise? I bet my financial security and education characteristics are going to look a lot better statistically than a 9 year old. I also thnk it is going to be really hard to say there is much in common about our upbringings. Those kids are tied to computers and cell phones. We didn't have internet in our house until early high school, I think. My family had a cell phone, but certainly I didn't until college. Texting didn't exist until college. As kids we played primarily outside (without much supervision), with a few hours on the nintendo. There is almost no similarity those even born in 1992, much less 2004. I guess anyone born the first year of a generation probably feels like that.

Since I never knew I was a millenial, I feel like gen Y is has typically been used to describe older millenials. I've seen lots of things about how we are better off than Gen X, because of where the economic bust caught us- we still have time to catch up. But I see stuff about millenials being lazy and entitled; I haven't seen quite as much of that about Gen Y...so I wonder if there is some sort of difference.

(I certainly wouldn't say I'm Gen X though...I'm just shocked to hear I'm a millenial. I thought there was a group in between.)

vCash
    Boomer -- no doubt about it.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast