Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Daisuke Takahashi expresses “the love” by Beatles.

This is an article in "Nikkan Sports" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Daisuke Takahashi expresses "the love" by Beatles.
    July 11th, 2013

In July 11th, Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai University Graduate School) had a press interview in Osaka (Itami) Airport before departure to the training camp in the North America for 2 weeks. As for the free program of the Sochi Olympics season which he faces with the readiness as the last in his eligible, he disclosed that he is going to skate to Beatles Medley as the theme of “The Love”.

As the choreographer, he requested for the first time to Lori Nichol who takes care of Mao Asada, too.

As for the short program (SP), he used "The Sonatina for The Violin" composed by Mamoru Samuragochi who is the 2nd generation bombing which comes from Hiroshima-city and isn't able to hear both ears and Kenji Miyamoto choreographed it as same as the time of Vancouver Olympics where he was brilliant to the bronze medal.

As for the free program which have joined to five famous music, such as "Yesterday", 27 years old Takahashi expects that it becomes "the excellent one". As for SP, he expressed as "the music which it feels the hope".

He said, “Because it is the season which may become to the final season for me, I would like not to have regrets of. And I would like to repay by the program, with the gratitude to the person who is cheering me".

In this season when begins in earnest in October, the intense conflict for representative with the young generations, such as 18 years old Yuzuru Hanyu, awaits. He told the determination, saying, “The composition of the jumps, such as the quad jump is same as in last season. I would like to overcome everybody there because the Olympics is the excellent stage”.

The article:
    Daisuke Takahashi expresses “the love” by Beatles.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...1-1155685.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6_E04Y5e84g
    Takahashi cheered Miki Ando who gave childbirth to a girl in April, saying, "It is a wonderful affair that the life is born. I think that she grows aiming at the Olympics as the skater and as the mother and show us the view of the world of Miki Ando".
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 07-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Well - at least nobody can say he is not taking risks with music choice

I think the Beatles will suit him just amazing!
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Thrilled by Dai's choices (of course I am little bit biased). Looking forward to the season beginning.

Thank you so much Akira for the translation, you are the best!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks for starting this thread, Akira Andrea! Copying over 2 relevant posts from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Someone asked Asahi Shinbun Sports about his SP and the answer is:
    https://twitter.com/asahi_sports/sta...91563560824832
    Daisuke Takahashi's SP is to "Sonatina for Violin" by Mamoru Samuragouchi. The Choreographer is Kenji Miyamoto. FS is "Beatles Medley"(Yesterday, Come Together, Friends and Lovers, In My Life and Winding Road). The choreographer is Lori Nichol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Fuji tweeted that the fifth song of his Beatles/Wings medley is this:

George Martin - Friends and Lovers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZLxFJDNdQ

Dai's SP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSMq...ature=youtu.be
    ETA a third post/another link:
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Since the cat is out of the bag.... the Beatles medley is actually a classical type version of it and is absolutely amazing, I love it. (At least the last part of the program) Jenny Kirk used it back in 2005 for her long program.

Her program from 2005:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1hr5vf-Dvk
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-12-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm really excited about Dai skating to the Beatles and perhaps Lori will help him to discover a new dimension of his musicality. I wonder if he will be listening to the lyrics? It's true that music is a universal language, but lyrics are such an important part of what makes the Beatles special.

Dai's La Strada - the way he skated it when he won worlds - is one of my all-time faves. I consider it one of his signature pieces - doesn't hurt that I adore the music, either. I can't imagine Dai delivering a better program than that, but I'm willing to be surprised.

vCash
    I really do not like the beatles and the orchestral or muzak versions of their songs that poeple have skated to before leave me unless he comes up with something really amazing musically, if the theme is "love" I can only imagine the pieces he'll end up skating to. I'll reserve judgment til I see the programme, but the beatles was not what I was hoping for Takahashi

ETA: this could get worse - is this the year singles skaters can start using vocal music?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

ETA: this could get worse - is this the year singles skaters can start using vocal music?
    No vocals until 2014-15 http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

I'm super excited to see the programs! He'll be amazing to any music in my opinion. And at least it's not another man doing Carmen...

vCash
    I don't like muzak but love the Beatles and I thought this choices of songs would be an amazing tribute that suit Dai well as his farewell FS program.

Muzak are generally soulless replaying of the song in a cheapened production format without the luxury to convey meaning or purpose of the composer's intention, however from what everything I know of Dai is he hardly ever perform without having some sort of opinion on what he is trying to do with his programs (Take out that Marozov blip last year) from one year to the next. For that, he can conquer any medley problems that get typically associated with Muzak music.

One thing I do love about the Beatles is that they say complex sweet bitter things simply and succinctly; unpretentious and honest yet with their own unique flair and playfulness about the whole thing. It is something magically simple when they got it right. This is similar to what I sometimes get from Dai on a good day. Out of all the men today, the spirit of the Beatles lives on and their level of success and approach to life and music does resonant in how Dai approach his skating (a sense of play, experimental and wonder, boy rebel, superstar who enjoys the attention). Out of all the men competing today, i strongly feel ONLY Dai has the emotional and mental maturity (weathered man, career of ups and downs to be able to pick out the irony and humour of much Beatle's lyrics) to bring them justice beyond it is just another famous piece of music people heard too many times. The other being Kurt but he doesn't compete anymore.

vCash
    I guess it will be helpful to understand Daisuke's SP better that you know the composer Mamoru Samuragochi.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...00781,00.html/
    http://www.samonpromotion.com/en/monthly/index.php

His music has deep dark, but go up to bright hope. Really artistic and emotional.
    It's exciting to see how Daisuke will express it

Unfortunately 'sonatina for violin' is not on YouTube, but you can try to hear the part of the music.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9F%E3.../dp/B0064FF12M

And here is his masterpiece, Symphony No. 1 'Hiroshima'.
    http://youtu.be/w49nMscVXm4
    Last edited by NONKO; 07-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I really like his choices. I'm impressed, and I think it suits him well. I can't wait for the season to begin!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I really do not like the beatles and the orchestral or muzak versions of their songs that poeple have skated to before leave me unless he comes up with something really amazing musically, if the theme is "love" I can only imagine the pieces he'll end up skating to. I'll reserve judgment til I see the programme, but the beatles was not what I was hoping for Takahashi

Yeah I'm not a Beatles fan either, but hopefully Daisuke can do something special with this music - if anyone can it's Daisuke!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Yes! So glad he got Miyamoto to choreograph a competitive program this year. (And sooo happy he's not using Morosov!) I hope Takahashi and Nichol can inspire each other to create something great.

Blergh
    vCash
    If Daisuke's Beatles LP is anything like Klimova/Ponomarenko's Beatles FD, I'll be very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scah2zPgID4

vCash

This article would help us understand why he and Lori chose those songs

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news...9060017-n1.htm

Translation by Twind on DTFF

Sankei News
    Takahashi up for a challenge even in his last season -- The Beatles for expressing “Love”

2013.7.11 19:04

Even for the Sochi Olympic season that he considers as time to cap his whole competing career, he still continues to be up for a challenge.

For his Free Skating Program that determines the results on its sum added together with the Short Program, he requested Ms. Lori Nicole to choreograph it for him for the first time. While he admitted that he was “afraid not being sure if the two of us would click with each other”, he still decided to take the risk because, as he says, “I wanted her to choreograph my program before I retire. I was curious how I can perform with her choreography”; his aspiring, adventurous spirit wins.

The choice of music by one of the very best choreographers grabbed his heart.

The main message of the Beatles medley of “Yesterday” and four other songs is “love”. “There are people who are no longer around me or whom I’ll never have any more chance to see. And yet I am here today thanks to those people. This music reminds me the gratitude for all the people who had ever been there for me.” He talked slowly as if he was looking back on his skating life.

There are three more months to go until the full opening of the season in October. After the in-season polishing of his performance awaits his third Olympic challenge, which he expresses to be “the best stage” (by Mitsuru Tanaka)

Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thank you so much for the translation. It's very much appreciated.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    Yeah I'm not a Beatles fan either, but hopefully Daisuke can do something special with this music - if anyone can it's Daisuke!
    Yes this is very true. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it til I see the programme - and you're absolutely right, if one person can cure me of my beatles dislike it would be Takahashi.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I didn't at first like the choice when I saw it listed, because although I like The Beatles, I had a sinking feeling that this would be Beatles music morozoved or martoned to destruction. But I listened to a clip and it sounds good. I love Daisuke, so if he has to leave : I want him to go out on a high note, whether he wins a medal or not.

Thank you so much for the translations!
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Not a Beatles fan but thank God Morozov is not cheorograghing.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ^^^^ This!
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast