Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Skaters who don't get the PCS they deserve

Who are some skaters that you believe have good PCS but don't receive the marks

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    There are a few Australian skaters I would like to nominate.

Cheltzie Lee, Nicholas Fernandez, and Danielle O'Brien & Greg Merriman.

vCash
    Davis and White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    Davis and White
    I'm a huge Davis and White fan. I don't understand your comment about their PCS. Aren't 9.75-10's sufficient?

vCash
    Davis and White
    Is this ironic ?

vCash
    The ladies in general tend to receive lower PCS than in the other disciplines: for instance, in 2012 Carolina Kostner won Worlds without getting a single component score over 8.4 in either program (and none above 8 in the SP), while Patrick Chan got high 8s/low 9s, and the ice dancers are close to 10 at times (unjustifiably close, in some cases). That was really perplexing, and though the ladies did get higher PCS at 2013 Worlds, I fail to see why they're not in the ballpark of what the top pairs and ice dancers get.

I'm having a tough time coming up with specific examples, especially as there are quite a few skaters whom I haven't seen live. Akiko Suzuki's marks tend to be low at times for what she does, and I thought there were times last season when the judges could have gone a bit higher with James/Cipres. Jonathan Cassar's weaker jumps really hurt his PCS when he competed.

vCash
    This thread looks like it was made to mention Akiko Suzuki... apart from her, I'm not to sure. Maybe Kozuka would be another candidate, his skating skills are to die for and his SP this last season was amazing.
    And then there are probably a lot of unknown skaters or newbies, that just don't get any love because they don't have any reputation.

vCash
    Taka!!!! who immediately comes to my mind..
    Last edited by lala; 07-11-2013 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Davis and White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Davis and White
    Is this ironic ?
    Well there was a judge who didn't give them 10s for P&E and IN at Worlds, so clearly they are underscored worse than Akiko and Kozuka combined.

vCash
    Davis and White
    LOL

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    And then there are probably a lot of unknown skaters or newbies, that just don't get any love because they don't have any reputation.
    Wait, what!?! I thought the new system was supposed to do away with reputation judging.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Wait, what!?! I thought the new system was supposed to do away with reputation judging.

Well, it can decrease the degree of reputation judging, but I don't think you can do away with it entirely as long as you're dealing human beings. Even 100% honest well-meaning judges will be unconsciously influenced by reputation. And by skate order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Well, it can decrease the degree of reputation judging, but I don't think you can do away with it entirely as long as you're dealing human beings. Even 100% honest well-meaning judges will be unconsciously influenced by reputation. And by skate order.
    And also by how many years the skater has been in international competitions. That's not always the same as age. Akiko probably suffers from breaking into the Japanese team so late in her career.
    People say Kiira gets beauty PCS, but she was just as beautiful under 20 and her scores were a lot lower. It's age/perseverance PCS.

vCash
    Some of it is reputation -- but also some of it is skaters actually getting better at the various component criteria.

Even just watching on video, it seems to me that Korpi's basic skating was much better the last time I watched her skate than the first time.

vCash
    Even though it seems Kiira gets the SWP (Skating While Pretty) PCS boost, she really does have nice PCS. Good speed, clean crisp edges, lovely presentation, programs and interpretation...her TR are decent but not great. I think her easier jump content pisses people off and they feel she doesn't deserve to get high components for lower level technical content but that's the way the system works.

I think Akiko is consistently undermarked (duh) across nearly every field. I think Christina deserved a slight hike in her PCS particularly in the SP last season for her CH and IN. Zijun got low PCS until her FS at worlds; after that her marks magically jumped into the 7s instead of the mid 6s.

I think a number of skaters are overmarked in areas but I won't go into details...

PCS are still a crock of sh*t and are used as a way to boost/hold down skaters...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    There are a few Australian skaters I would like to nominate.

Cheltzie Lee, Nicholas Fernandez, and Danielle O'Brien & Greg Merriman.
    O'Brien and Merriman are underrated. While there are a lot of improvements they could make technically, they always perform the heck out of their programs (especially her).

vCash
    Hmmmm....

Definitely Suzuki. Sometimes Kostner. I'd argue that Osmond was underscored PCS wise in some areas, not in others.

Kozuka. Viktor Pfeiffer and Peter Liebers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Hmmmm....

Definitely Suzuki. Sometimes Kostner.
    I agree with Suzuki but c'mon, Kostner? She is undoubtedly the queen of PCS, the only one can surpass Kostner's PCS is Yuna's, but I even doubt it, if Kosnter clean no one know what will happen

vCash
    Mao!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast