Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I'm trying to get a sense of price for a type of ring--any suggestions/input appreciated!

How much would people say is a fair price for an 8 ct Tanzanite ring, deep blue color (AAA or vB 6/5) with 1.5 ct diamonds (VS1) surrounding it in solid 14k or 18k white gold?

And how much would people say is a fair price for a flawless 7ct blue sapphire with almost 2ct of vvs diamonds in platinum?

Thanks!

vCash
    An 8ct tanzanite can run anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000. It depends on color (you want deep blue, so that is more $$$$), it depends on cut (round, cushion, pear), and of course clarity. Keep in mind, that an 8ct shallow stone will look larger, but is not worth as much as one smaller in diameter, but deeper. Tanzanites, in particular, have better saturation in a deep stone. They are pleochroic, and should reflect pinks, purples, even reds. They get their blue/purple color from a heating process, they do not exist deep blue in nature. Tanzanites are quite rare (found only in Tanzania and the mines were flooded) and pretty expensive. 1.5ct diamonds can also fluctuate in price. Are they 150 1pt stones or 10 15pt stones? Diamonds also are priced on color, clarity, and cut. 18kt is more pricey than 14kt. Gold is very $$$$ right now, $1,367 per ounce (pure gold is 24kt). When I had my Mom's ring re-set, I had it set in 14kt gold, it is stronger than 18kt. I feel that the stone is more secure. One thing to keep in mind, tanzanites are a rather soft stone and should NEVER be put in an ultrasonic cleaner (it could cause them to fracture). When looking at stones, be sure to see them in natural light. Florescent light can make them appear more blue than they are.

Not having seen the sapphire ring, I can only guess - somewhere between $20K and $25K, but it could be much more.

Your best bet its to take it to a reputable, certified, appraiser.

vCash
    Thanks, cruisin. I know you know a lot about jewelry.

The tanzanite is very vivid in color--on a scale of 6 (with 6 being most vivid), it rates a 5+ to 6 (or in some systems, it's between AAA and AAAA--the most vivid rating). It's also a cushion cut and vvs in clarity. It's not shallow at all, and has a correspondingly deep color saturation. The surrounding diamonds have two .5 ct white diamonds of VS quality, and the rest are smaller round cut ones (but also VS quality).

How much would one expect to pay for an independent appraisal?

vCash
    Not sure about the cost. I have a jeweler, who I have re set jewelry with, a few times. Because he has done work for me, he doesn't charge for the appraisal. But, I have never asked him for appraisal certificates for anything he has not made for me. I assume you own these rings. Yes? I would have them appraised anyway. They both sound very valuable and you should have an insurance rider on them. Most homeowners insurance has a cap for all jewelry, which might be $10K - $20K in total. Those two rings are worth at least double to triple that. Riders are not that expensive and cover theft, loss, and stones (the significant ones) falling out. I am guessing that an appraisal would be somewhere between $100 & $200. Be sure it is a reputable appraiser, I have heard of center stones being removed and replaced with CZs (which can be tanzanite blue). If possible ask if you can wait while they check the ring. If you are not wanting a certificate, they can probably give you an estimate of what the rings are worth. But, for insurance, you will need documentation. If you are thinking of selling them, you will have to give a commission to whoever sells it for you. Find someone you trust to give you a fair % and make sure you see the bill of sale.

vCash
    How much would one expect to pay for an independent appraisal?
    Somewhere between $50 - $100 per item for an evaluation with paperwork to support it.
    Certified appraisers aren't cheap; and appraisals should be re-done every few years.
    I arrange "package deals" where I have all of my HQ items done at once.

vCash
    Whoa.....got excited when I found this jewelry thread, but I think my 1/5 carat engagement ring and $60 wedding band and I will just quietly slip out the back and go find another thread to hang out in!!
    Sorry to crash the party!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I wasn't given either an engagement ring or a wedding ring when I got married. For the ceremony, I wore a £35 ring that had been bought some time before and certainly not with the purpose of marriage in mind. But I cared not.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    My mother worked in the industry for 20 years.
    When I began to collect loose stones, I took gemological courses; so that I would know what I was buying, whatever the size or price.

If you get an appraisal from a GG or certified appraiser; in most cases it can be regarded as a "legal" document.
    That's the expertise you are paying for.

orientalplane, that's as it should be!

vCash
    I got my mother's jewelry appraised when I inherited it. The appraiser was a certified gemnologist & he charged me $35.00 per piece. I got a certificate with a photo & a seal for each piece. Sounds like I got a deal. I also got a duplicate to give to my insurance co.

vCash
    I'm going to guess that (as with most things) prices for appraisals are dependent on area. Skatesindresams is right, an appraisal from a GG or certified appraiser is a legal document. That is why it is imperative to have to get an insurance rider.

Quartz, jewelry is jewelry. It is something we love, for aesthetic and/or sentimental reasons. You should absolutely join in!

I didn't get an engagement ring either. And my wedding band was an simple gold band - maybe $50.00. My mother had the big stone and gave me her original engagement stone to have set, because she thought I should have a ring. It was 98pts, a little less than a ct. We were saving for a house and the ring was not an expense we wanted to take on. My Mom was very generous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12