Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Jewellery thread

I remember there was quite a vivid discussion on engagement rings at one point here, so I thought we maybe needed a jewellery thread.

For my part, I have a question on ring cleaning. I recently got an ring from my mom, it used to belong to her aunt. It is a solitaire ring, but not a diamond one. It has a large clear stone in a teardrop like shape, my mom believes it is quartz or similar. (My grand aunt would probably not have been able to afford a diamond of that size!). It is very dull, however, and I think even not being a diamond it should sparkle a little more. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to clean it? It sits in a prong type setting and it looks like the back side is quite dirty.

For those of you who a curious, the ring looks modern, with a gold band that rises up with a gap in, and in the gap a white gold setting has the stone. A little like this, but the band is even wider at the top, and warm gold. (and the stone is semi-precious) http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engag...rs-i13615.ring

so, anyone know a good way to clean it? or does anyone have any other jewellery discussion topics?
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash

Re: Jewellery thread

It might be a white sapphire, or a zircon, which is a natural gemstone and not cubic zirconia, a diamond simulant.

Try a little Dawn dishwashing detergent, an old toothbrush, and lightly scrub. Close the sink drains or clean well away from the sink, I have never lost a stone during cleaning but you never know. Dry with a cotton cloth.

If it's still dirty, it might need a more thorough cleaning, but it might also be scratches and/or abrasions from wear.

You might consider taking it to a gemologist for identification. I am an amateur gemologist and could give a guess from a photo, but I recommend having a gemologist look at it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

vCash
    I agree, it could be a white sapphire. I got one from my mother - it was a loose stone that I had set in white gold. Mine has no scratches since it was never set before so it's quite pretty but not very sparkly.

BTW, every time I go into a jewelry store they clean whatever rings I'm wearing for free. So you might consider asking your jeweler what it is & they will probably clean it for you.

vCash

Actually, rereading your post and taking notice of the teardrop shape of the gem as well as its size, I would agree with your mom's guess that it is white/clear quartz. Zircons are usually cut in a round or oval shape, and a large white sapphire of good clarity and colour, while less valuable than diamond, is still a valuable gemstone. I've seen many, many large, teardrpo shaped white quartz gems, it's a common gem for this particular size and shape.

Still, take it to a gemologist. Not all jewellers are gemologists.

vCash
    Thanks! I will try and clean it and maybe put up a pic somewhere.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Here is a picture, sorry just from my phone.

clicky

another think this one got fuzzy.

vCash
    That's a very pretty ring. I always love wearing family jewellery, it makes me feel close to them.

I have a jar of stuff I got from a store, I soak rings in it for ten minutes or so, and then use a little brush that came with it.

vCash
    maat - it could also be a white topaz. If it is a white sapphire or a white topaz then it should be set in real gold, so the ring will be valuable even if the stone isn't worth very much. If it is quartz it may or may not be gold. However that looks like a well done ring so it's probably gold.

vCash
    Maat, lovely ring. The stone is pear shaped. It could be a white sapphire or a white topaz. Both can be a bit whiteish and cloudy, compared to a diamond.

Best way to clean any stone (not pearls!): Put a little ammonia in a coffee cup, put a splash of dish washing liquid, then fill 2/3 with boiling water. Put the jewelry in for about 1/2 hour. The hot mixture should remove any residue. If there is any remaining, you can use a soft, child's toothbrush. Then rinse well with cool water. Do not go from boiling to cold water, make sure the jewelry soaks long enough for the water to cool down. This makes my jewelry sparkle like stars. Got the recipe from a jeweler.

To clean tarnish from sterling silver jewelry: line a bowl with aluminum foil. Put some baking soda on the aluminum foil. Place jewelry on top. Then pour boiling water over it. fold the aluminum foil over the jewelry and press it down (use a spoon or fork, so you don't burn yourself. This causes a chemical reaction between the aluminum, baking soda and silver. Rinse with soapy water - voila perfectly tarnish free silver. Works with silver place settings and decorative items as well, just need a bigger bowl.

I inherited a diamond ring from my mother. A 2.5 ct pear shaped diamond. It looks bigger, because it is a bit shallow. the ring was very bulky and I have very small hands. So, I had it reset, with a pave'd halo. It turned out beautiful. My personal favorite stone is Tanzanite. I love the purple/blue color and because it is trichroic, it can show violet, sapphire, burgundy, depending on how the light hits it. The most rare and valuable ones are a very deep royal blue, but they flash purple, pink, burgundy. The lesser valuable ones tend to be more of a periwinkle color, but there is a fire in them, they almost look lit from within.
    Last edited by cruisin; 07-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.

vCash

Lovely ring, it looks like an antique setting with a newer, modern shank either attached or replacing the older, probably worn out shank. It's not quartz, but it might be white sapphire, or white topaz. Definitely worth getting a gemologist's look-see.

It doesn't have the white white colour that white sapphire or white topaz, I am seeing a bit of warmth in the stone, but that might be reflection off the gold shank.

Do the facet edges look worn, scratched, chipped or abraded? Can you see any dark spots or light, cloudy areas in the gem?

I cannot see the faceting in the pictures, diamonds are usually cut more precisely than other gems, but I cannot see the facet details in the photo.

Do you mind if I post the photo on a gemstone enthusiast message board I participate on? There are some very knowledgeable folks there and lots of industry gemcutters and gemologists who always seem happy to make a guess.

Last edited by Wiery; 07-15-2013 at 03:13 AM.

vCash
    Hard to say what the warm tones are. It is a yellow gold ring. Though, it's hard to tell if the setting is white. I doubt that the setting would be different from the ring, unless it is to brighten up a diamond. I actually prefer the warmer tones and my ring is set in yellow gold. I think white gold or platinum would have made my ring too ostentatious. The yellow softens it.

I agree with Wiery, have it looked at. A jeweler should be able to tell you what the stone is, without having to pay for an appraisal.

I suspect, in this case (as with mine), the real value of the ring is sentimental, not monetary. So, it's really just about what the ring is.

vCash
    Jewelers tell you not to clean your rings with a toothbrush. It can scratch the gold & loosen your settings. I get the jewelry cleaner at the jewelry shop. It has a little basket in the jar & you swish it around in the cleaner. If it's too dirty for that method then it should be professionally cleaned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Jewelers tell you not to clean your rings with a toothbrush. It can scratch the gold & loosen your settings. I get the jewelry cleaner at the jewelry shop. It has a little basket in the jar & you swish it around in the cleaner. If it's too dirty for that method then it should be professionally cleaned.
    I agree, re: the tooth brush. That is why I suggested only using it if there is a little residue left, and using a child's toothbrush, very gently. But, the hot solution I gave above works like a charm on anything but pearls. give it a try. The stuff you buy from the jeweler works, but the boiling water really makes a difference. And it's cheaper! A small bottle of ammonia lasts for years! And you are using fresh solution each time. Not solution that is used over and over. I do use the jewelry store solution, if I'm in a hurry. Ammonia is the main ingredient in most jewelry cleaners. Another tip to make stones sparkle - if you have an espresso maker with a milk foamer. Fill the reservoir with water and turn on the steamer/foamer, hold the stone part of your ring under it for a few seconds. It sparkles right up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I inherited a diamond ring from my mother. A 2.5 ct pear shaped diamond. It looks bigger, because it is a bit shallow. the ring was very bulky and I have very small hands. So, I had it reset, with a pave'd halo.
    What's a pave'd halo setting? Do you have a picture you can share?

I have had plans for quite some time to have my mother's diamond and my grandmother's diamond set together in a two-stone ring. They are both around a carat, and both round. The jeweler I had started working with a year ago was pretty flakey, but now I have found another jeweler who does custom jewelry, and his store is convenient. So, I am going to see if he can do it. I have in mind a bypass setting with the stones on an angle, probably set with bevels not prongs. But we'll see. He has that CAD software so we can play around with different designs. And I'm thinking now about whether he can also use my mother's wedding ring in it.... That would be kind of cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    What's a pave'd halo setting? Do you have a picture you can share?

I have had plans for quite some time to have my mother's diamond and my grandmother's diamond set together in a two-stone ring. They are both around a carat, and both round. The jeweler I had started working with a year ago was pretty flakey, but now I have found another jeweler who does custom jewelry, and his store is convenient. So, I am going to see if he can do it. I have in mind a bypass setting with the stones on an angle, probably set with bevels not prongs. But we'll see. He has that CAD software so we can play around with different designs. And I'm thinking now about whether he can also use my mother's wedding ring in it.... That would be kind of cool.
    It is actually micro pave. It is similar to this, but my jeweler made it from a drawing I designed. He also has a CAD program. And once the CAD was exactly how I wanted it, he did a lazer created wax mold, from the Cad data. http://www.jbstar.com/product/2322-0...-diamond-ring/ But, mine has a diamond center stone.

vCash
    Very pretty. I am looking forward to getting this finally done!

vCash
    Very nice crusin, it is great to reset family stones so they fit your style and hand size

Wiery, feel free to share the pics.

The settings (prongs) are while, though the ring is gold. It is stamped 585 inside, so I assume it is 14 karat gold.
    It feels like the top edge of the tear drop has a little bump on it. I think I see a little dark spot in the middle, but it might just be from the setting.
    I don't think I see any cloudiness but I am not sure.

It feels more 'dull' than what I would expect from a diamond, or even a well faceted fake (like glass/crystal simili? Not sure what they are called, I have a bracelet from my grandmother that is set with faceted stones, it is completely covered in them and I know they are not diamonds, though they have great shine and reflection, and the bracelet is very well made)

sk8pics, let us know what design you end up with!

vCash
    ^^ Maat, it is very common to set a diamond in platinum or white gold, even if the ring, itself is yellow gold. The reason that is done is to add white, as opposed to yellow tones to the diamond. It is unusual to do that with a lesser stone. I would have a jeweler look at your ring, it may be a diamond.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My jeweler gave me a special solution in which you let the jewelry sit for under a minute and then rinse. Done cleaning. I've heard you can blow dry it to avoid water stains but I just air dry it. I've done silver in it too, worked well. It does say "no pearls" on the jar.

I have a beautiful blue sapphire I've inherited from my grandmother. I had it reset in a very simple setting (white gold and two diamond baguettes on the sides) and like wearing it and thinking about her.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Have a link to lust over: http://lilianashjewellery.com/ More pretties on her Facebook page, too. We got my engagement ring from her and I love it but pretty much every time she posts a new ring I want that one too
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast