vCash

TCM Summer under the Stars lineup

As PeterG said in the movies thread, people seem to like threads devoted to TCM, so I'm setting up a new one for next month's Summer under the Stars. Lineup is here: http://summer.tcm.com/files/SUTSschedule_2013.pdf

As I've really been getting into British films lately, I'm thrilled about Alec Guinness, Maggie Smith, and Rex Harrison! Bummed about no Gene Kelly or Jimmy Stewart, though. They're two of my perennial favorites, and their movie marathons are always good, when they get them.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    August 3!
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Should I feel shame for never having heard of Ramon Novarro, Ann Blyth, Glenda Farrell and Jeanne Crain? And I know the name Wallace Beery, but can't name one of his movies without looking at the list. for a Hattie McDaniel day as I'm unaware of any movie she was in other than Gone With The Wind. But unfortunately I don't get TCM for free anymore, so I will have to live through the rest of you to know more about the movies I'll be missing come August!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i know i'm disgusted by you right now
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    PeterG! How have you not seen Mildred Pierce?? Ann Blyth rocks in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Maggie Smith
    I can watch The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on repeat. I adore that movie so much. Pamela Franklin just blows me away in it (and Ms. Smith, of course!)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    What a fun lineup - interesting to see the obvious movies, but lots of others that likely haven't not been widely seen since they were first released - printing off the list!

PeterG, my favourite Jeanne Crain movie is State Fair - the second and best version from 1945 - she's fabulous in it (although her singing voice is Louanne Hogan).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    Me too.
    "Leave Her to Heaven" - movie with Jeanne Crain and Gene Tierney. Great flick!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    PeterG! How have you not seen Mildred Pierce?? Ann Blyth rocks in it!
    I saw that a long time ago, so I googled her: https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...mg.vZiqK4Czf8M

Oh yeah, I remember her now! Haven't seen anything else she was in though (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    PeterG, my favourite Jeanne Crain movie is State Fair - the second and best version from 1945 - she's fabulous in it (although her singing voice is Louanne Hogan).
    My local library doesn't have this movie, but I've got about ten other library systems to choose from, I'm sure one of them will have it.

now you know how i feel when you chew your toenails in public

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Me too.
    And you...you're not invisible, you know. We see you and what you're doing. What, are Kleenex's THAT expensive??

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    My local library doesn't have this movie, but I've got about ten other library systems to choose from, I'm sure one of them will have it.
    If I may gush I'm no fan of musicals but happened to catch State Fair (1945) on TCM a few years back when I was on my own working in another city and I guess I got all mushy about it, and also loved the innocence in the whole thing while I was deep into some heavy stuff at work. I ended up buying the DVD, and the soundtrack (Rogers and Hammerstein!), and hunted down the original novel on which it was based. Then, call me totally crazy, I talked my husband into attending the Iowa State Fair, and as part of the trip we drove the route that the Frake family takes to the fair. We ended up having a great time (thank you indulgent husband!), and every now any then I still put on the movie or the soundtrack when I need a little escape from modern life.

Hope you manage to find a copy and that you enjoy it.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    now you know how i feel when you chew your toenails in public

you know how sensitive i am about not having feet
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I always love SUTS. It's nice that they are not just putting out the same movies each time.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    you know how sensitive i am about not having feet
    you gnawed more than the toenails? how far did you go?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    you gnawed more than the toenails? how far did you go?
    they were made into jello

vCash
    Thanks for sharing this. Friends are always suprised I never use netflix. But with TCM in Feb, and my carrier provides 2 free HBO weekends every year (Nov and Jun) - I record tons of movies and takes months to see them all (great that TCM is not HD, so can record 40 or more movies).. I still have a couple movies from TCM this past Feb to watch.

vCash
    they were made into jello
    (((MLP's hooves)))

vCash
    I'm a bit surprised that they didn't include Esther Williams in this summer's line up.

vCash
    Jeanne Crain also played the title role in Pinky, playing a light-skinned black woman passing for white!! The movie is good, but the idea that Jeanne Crain is a black woman is hilarious!!

vCash
    I love Mary Boland; she's just about my favorite part of The Women, and that's something in that cast. I haven't seen very many of the ones on her list.

I'm glad to see one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Imitation of Life, is included for Lana Turner.

vCash
    Last night I watched Letter From An Unknown Woman (1948), starring Joan Fontaine and Louis Jordan. I usually don't get into love stories, but this movie was AWESOME!! If you've never seen this movie, put it on your must-see list (especially if you like love stories).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I love Mary Boland; she's just about my favorite part of The Women, and that's something in that cast. I haven't seen very many of the ones on her list.

I'm glad to see one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Imitation of Life, is included for Lana Turner.

"Oh, poor creatures. They've lost their equilibrium because they've lost their faith in love. Oh l'amour, l'amour."