aka IceSkate98
    vCash

Madge Syers, The Worlds First Ladies Olympic Figure Skating Champion

This was an article in my RSS feed on my homepage. The article is by Jo Ann Schneider Farris at About.com. It's an interesting read, and I learned some things that I never knew.

Madge Syers was the first woman that competed against men at the 1902 World Figure Skating Championships. There wasn't any rules in 1902 that stated women couldn't compete against men. It brought about the "womens only" that was added after she competed because it was decided that judges couldn't fairly judge or compare women and men skaters.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ol...g-Champion.htm

I bet it would be pretty interesting if the rules hadn't changed and women could still compete against men. It's just a thought, but I believe not so far-fetched. The only hold back I could see is women trying to do the Quad. Men might have to add a few more moves and spins like the Ina Bauer, the Biellman spin/spiral, and the spiral, etc., but that wouldn't be much of a problem.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    They only let her skate to make a fool out of her and thwart any silly women from the notion that they could compete like men. The joke was on them. Had she not been the superstar she was, eventually the sport would have opened up for women, certainly by the post WWI flapper era and lord knows Henie was a force that wasn't going to be denied.

Anyone know what she died of so young?

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    from her Oxford DNB entry:

Her health, which had caused her to withdraw from the British championships in February 1908, began to fade and she retired from skating. Shortly afterwards she fell ill with acute endocarditis, and on 9 September 1917 she died of heart failure at her home, Shaws, St George's Hill, Weybridge, Surrey, at the age of thirty-five.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Thank you

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    They only let her skate to make a fool out of her and thwart any silly women from the notion that they could compete like men. The joke was on them. Had she not been the superstar she was, eventually the sport would have opened up for women, certainly by the post WWI flapper era and lord knows Henie was a force that wasn't going to be denied.

Well, you're certainly right about the joke being on them, and I'm glad she did have the opportunity to compete and show them.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    This was an article in my RSS feed on my homepage. The article is by Jo Ann Schneider Farris at About.com. It's an interesting read, and I learned some things that I never knew.

Madge Syers was the first woman that competed against men at the 1902 World Figure Skating Championships. There wasn't any rules in 1902 that stated women couldn't compete against men. It brought about the "womens only" that was added after she competed because it was decided that judges couldn't fairly judge or compare women and men skaters.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ol...g-Champion.htm

I bet it would be pretty interesting if the rules hadn't changed and women could still compete against men. It's just a thought, but I believe not so far-fetched. The only hold back I could see is women trying to do the Quad. Men might have to add a few more moves and spins like the Ina Bauer, the Biellman spin/spiral, and the spiral, etc., but that wouldn't be much of a problem.
    In the USA and Canada a majority of the men in singles would, if given the choice, rather be competing to be the best lady!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for the input.
    Angie

vCash
    As far as I remember she won bronze with her husbund Edgar in pairs at Olympics 1908. She is the only skater with olympic medals in singles and pairs at the same Olympics.