View Poll Results: If Mills could have done triples, could she have been a threat to Kwan Bobek & Nancy?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 46.15%
  • No

7 53.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Jessica Mills: If Only She Could Have Jumped

What a beautiful, elegant, and remarkable skater who we never really got to know. Her more famous sister, Phoebe Mills, was the 1988 Olympic bronze medalist on balance beam and a childhood hero of TheIronLady.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-k_pr6haCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOyFV0AdXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caaJWLvyB_s

vCash
    I think her Galina 1996 era program was good enough to compete with Bobek, but it's unlikely she could have ever beaten a post-1995 Kwan. If she had developed jumping abilities at least as good as Yuka Sato, for example, could she have been a factor? Mills obviously had drive. After winning the World Junior title in 1989, she had just one more season where her strength in figures could compensate for her weaker jumping. She continued for years in the post-figures era. By 1996 she was a beautiful skater, and she added to the depth of the 1990s skating boom.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 07-10-2013 at 06:21 AM.

vCash
    In her case she was so far removed from being a good enough jumper (like a galaxy removed) it seems idle to even begin speculating on that.

vCash
    If she was not a good jumper, why didn't she try ice dancing?

vCash
    It's very difficult to predict anything. Her jumping technique was not good, and I'm not impressed by her overall skating.
    So, my answer is NO.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Jessica's Wikipedia page (pretty much just her career results)

Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    In her case she was so far removed from being a good enough jumper (like a galaxy removed) it seems idle to even begin speculating on that.
    Thanks for joining the thread.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'm not impressed by her overall skating.
    So, my answer is NO.
    Dick Button and I respectfully disagree. We would have been the judge who gave her 5.6 for presentation, while you would have given the 4.7.

Here is an interesting article on Jessica Mills. Her mother said that unlike her sister she was not a hard worker. I am sure this is relative, but it is interesting

LA Times: Jessica and Phoebe Mills Go to Great Lengths to Reach Stardom in Respective Sports

vCash
    Here is Jessica's winning performance at the 1989 Junior Worlds. Scott Hamilton identifies with her popped 3S.

1989 World Junior Figure Skating Championships - Review of the Ladies' Event

One off topic question: How many world junior championships did Surya compete in? It looks like she competed in maybe 5 or 6!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    One off topic question: How many world junior championships did Surya compete in? It looks like she competed in maybe 5 or 6!
    LOL. I think she started in 1988, and ended in 1991 with the Gold.

vCash
    I have a question, are people afraid to vote in public polls for fear of how The Iron Lady or others might judge them?

vCash
    LOL. I think she started in 1988, and ended in 1991 with the Gold.
    So she only did four?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    So she only did four?
    Surya would have won the title in 1990 if it hadn't been for that unfortunate scene Mrs Bonaly caused when she wrote "Surrender Yuka" with her broomstick.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 07-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I remember Jessica being beaten by Kyoko Ina at the US Junior Championship following her World Junior Title win.

I wonder how Ina would have done as a singles skater if she hadn't focussed so much of her time on pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I remember Jessica being beaten by Kyoko Ina at the US Junior Championship following her World Junior Title win.

I wonder how Ina would have done as a singles skater if she hadn't focussed so much of her time on pairs.
    IMO, Kyoko Ina had much more success in Pairs than she would have had in singles.

vCash
    She is not artistic enough. She needs more speed and elegance.

vCash
    IMO, Kyoko Ina had much more success in Pairs than she would have had in singles.
    Kyoko never had a chance of being a top singles skater. Ugly leg wrap jumps, lack of speed, lack of presentation and performance quality. She achieved lots of 3rd and 4th places at World and Olympic events in pairs, this is great, and more than she could have achieved in singles. Her lack of quality in her elements and presentation meant she would never reach the very top even in pairs though, just semi there.

vCash
    I have a question, are people afraid to vote in public polls for fear of how The Iron Lady or others might judge them?
    If you are going to pick a relatively unknown obscure skater who ranked middle of the field at US Nationals many many years ago then maybe it is a poll that people just aren't interested in nor care about.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Nobody knows how anyone voted in a public poll, unless the voter also adds a comment to the thread to explain their vote. So anyone who wanted to avoid being "judged" for their opinion could just vote and not leave a comment.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Nobody knows how anyone voted in a public poll, unless the voter also adds a comment to the thread to explain their vote. So anyone who wanted to avoid being "judged" for their opinion could just vote and not leave a comment.
    You can set a poll to identify those who are voting. It is mentioned under the poll topic whether it is one of those polls.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    What a beautiful, elegant, and remarkable skater who we never really got to know. Her more famous sister, Phoebe Mills, was the 1988 Olympic bronze medalist on balance beam ...
    Implying there were international level skating and gymnastics parents all rolled together during a very political era in both sports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast