Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    And I can understand why more skaters are struggling with twizzles and loops - those are the new moves on that test, so everyone (coaches, skaters, judges) is still learning their way through them. And I've heard comments (unofficial and anecdotal ) from coaches that many judges (esp those who judged figures) have expectations that are not quite in line with the official communications given to coaches.
    Definitely true in my area; certain elements are being judged at a different (higher) standard than we were told they would be.

vCash
    If your coach can't figure out what the panel is looking for, then the coach needs to talk to the judges and ask for specifics. Most judges are only too happy to explain their standards when asked politely and without accusations. (If the judge refuses, well, IMO, your test chair needs to find another judge who'll be more cooperative.)
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    If your coach can't figure out what the panel is looking for, then the coach needs to talk to the judges and ask for specifics.
    This is only helpful if the same judge is going to be there the next time, since they all seem to look for different things... Many many rinks have no 'in house' judges.
    I didn't pass what both my coach and I thought was a really strong test (ironically, the one judge who didn't pass me had given me the only 1st place ordinal I got the day before, when I was skating up to the level I didn't pass; so he clearly thought I competed well at that level, but didn't like the test...), and passed the retry that we both thought was HORRID. Different panels, different standards.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123