Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mustafinabars View Post
    She would have won gold. Her triple lutz-triple toe which was easy and extremely consistent
    I thought Kristi landed it cleanly only 3 times : 1991 Trophee Lalique, 1992 Olympics, 1992 Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    That actually sounds almost identical to what was stated: that nerves got the best of Kristi (as it sounds like she struggled in the long) and Michelle won.

I suppose it is important to consider when this comeback would have started and/or if she would have simply continued on from Albertville (in which case, she would have likely won 93 Worlds, earned the USA 3 spots for Lillehammer, and we may never have had the whack and a pro scene that was as attractive). But, in looking at 1998 in isolation, I think she would have certainly made the Olympic team (2nd at Nationals - 2nd SP, 3rd LP) and likely won bronze at the Games. Chen's marks were not strong at all; a 5-triple program from Yamaguchi would've been more than enough.

Finally, Lipinski and Yamaguchi had very comparable careers. 1 Olympic gold, 1 National title; Kristi has 2 World titles vs. 1 for Tara, but Tara had better GP results, where Kristi was often beaten by Midori and Tonya. They each had small, compact jumps, but pushed themselves to their technical limits with difficult combinations and sequences, with each having nicely-packaged Bezic programs. I don't think it's right to hold Kristi's impressive pro career against Tara, as she (Lipinski) was developing artistically as a pro before her career-ending injury. I personally would say that Kristi would be a few spots higher on any all-time list, but to say Tara doesn't come close just isn't a fair or accurate assessment.
    Lipinski also had the GPF final which Kristi never had when she was skating. Lipinski won 2 of those, but lost to all her individual GP events. I agree Yamaguchi and Lipinski had similarities, but Kristi had a stronger presence IMO. Nonetheless a team of Kwan, Lipinski and Yamaguchi would have been very strong back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12