View Poll Results: YOUR biggest disappointments (2) when a favorite for OGM did not win the Gold

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1980 Linda Fratianne

2 0.99%
  • 1984 Roslyn Sumners

2 0.99%
  • 1988 Debbie Thomas (Co-favorite)

13 6.44%
  • 1992 Midori Ito

33 16.34%
  • 1998 Michelle Kwan

110 54.46%
  • 2002 Kwan-Slutskaya (Co-favorites)

69 34.16%
  • 2006 Irina Slutskaya

16 7.92%
  • Other (Specify)

18 8.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

YOUR biggest disappointment when a favorite lady for OGM did not win the Olympic gold

When were YOU most disappointed when a clear favorite or a Co-favorite lady did not win the Olympic Gold?

I decided to make this a 'pick 2' because I was having such a tough time picking just one!

BTW whenever I post a poll, other posters are allowed to make their choice before I am done posting the thread. I never understood this.
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-24-2013 at 04:20 AM.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan

vCash
    Debi Thomas in 1988 and Midori Ito in 1992 would probably be my top choices. I loved both of them. Irina Slutskaya in 2006 and 2002, but moreso 2006, as well. I liked Michelle Kwan, but I wasnt an uber of her as I was those other ladies, although I did not like the skaters who ended up winning in 98 and 2002 at all (although I appreciate Tara alot more now than I initially did).

vCash
    I am surprised to say none of these caused me much disappointment. I remember not caring who won in 1980 because I thought Biellmann was better than all of them. I found it hard to get too worked up when one not-the-best skater lost to another not-the-best skater. I remember feeling bad for Sumners, but as I had always liked Witt, I wasn't disappointed in the outcome. I was not disappointed that Thomas didn't win in 88 because, honestly, she didn't deserve to win, and by a good margin. I wanted Kristi to win in 1992, so was in no way disappointed that Ito lost. You left out Kerrigan in 94, but, again, I wanted Baiul to win. In 98, I would have preferred to see Kwan win mostly because I did not like Lipinski, but as I never really saw Kwan as all fabulous anyway, I wasn't too bothered. Same in 2002 - I really had no rooting favorite among the ladies. In 2006, I was more disappointed for Cohen than Slutskaya, but as I didn't really expect her to win, I wasn't that disappointed.

vCash
    Midori Ito.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I wish there were two different entries for 2002 - one for Kwan and one for Slute. I was devastated for Kwan but I didn't care about Slute losing. 2002 hurt more for me as a Kwan fan because I couldn't stand the skater who won gold and because I knew it was Kwan's last real shot. I never expected her to win in 1998 even after nationals so it didn't hurt so much. I thought she would win in 2002 because she rarely made mistakes and it was in the United States.

vCash
    I wanted Slutskaya to win. In the hear and soul department she had it coming.....and I loved her skating. And Sasha....oh man, when she hit the ice in Romeo and Juliet....what a heart stopper. How she pulled off the second half of that program.......unbelievable. I just wish she could have skated the first part as well as she skated the second part.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Michelle Kwan, by far.

On the other hand, I think Michelle's significance and accomplishments in life have far superseded the Olympic gold medal, as conveyed in my favorite quote of all about her:

“A gold medal can go in a case to be looked at from time to time, but a heart of gold is a rarity that enriches the world.”— Susan Wessling, Editor, International Figure Skating Magazine

vCash
    I purposely left out Kerrigan in 94 because I felt that she was not a clear favorite or even a co-favorite. Baiul, as the reigning world champion, had to be the favorite. Kerrigan would have been a co-favorite if she had won at least a bronze at the 93 worlds, IMO, but she totally bombed. At the 94 Olympics she skated very well, but prior to the Olympics she did not seem like a co-favorite, especially after going through the trauma of getting her knee whacked.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan in 2002 was very annoying. Because both mistakes in the LP were so unexpected.

vCash
    I think not many were crushed for Nancy because the world saw her being witchy about Baiul's make up, and then the whole universe finally put it together that Nancy maybe wasn't the soft princess cliche that the media painted her as. Her feisty Irish American bluntness and Bostonian manners were finally evident. Also her gold Vera Wang dress was a little over the top. Some people, perhaps those sympathetic to Tonya for coming from a poor and unstable background, read into Nancy's gold dress a sense of entitlement. Nancy was a favorite though, and I don't know what you would be thinking to say that she wasn't expected to contend for gold.

vCash
    ^^ Eh, it was kind of hypocritical of those who in turn were bitchy about Nancy's reaction. Obviously Oksana was an exceptional skater artistically but she wasn't all that technically. Nancy was actually very well-rounded as a skater although she tended to have nerves and wasn't known for consistency. At 1994 Olympics, Nancy performed perhaps the best of her entire career. Unfortunately Nancy had allowed Oksana to gain the edge with the public and the judges at 1993 Worlds.

I picked 1988 and 1998, but I'd also pick 1980. Of course the poll will skew to the numbers of people who remember that far back or who were even skating fans in the earlier years.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    Michelle Kwan, by far.

On the other hand, I think Michelle's significance and accomplishments in life have far superseded the Olympic gold medal, as conveyed in my favorite quote of all about her:

“A gold medal can go in a case to be looked at from time to time, but a heart of gold is a rarity that enriches the world.”— Susan Wessling, Editor, International Figure Skating Magazine
    ITA, and thanks for your post.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    I think Cohen should be listed for 2006. She was favored to the extent that people believed Sasha could somehow lay down enough technical content and that Slutskaya would double or miss some jump elements. Slutskaya was not such a lock. She lost the GPF to a 15 year old, people generally hated her biellman positions, and she had been a headcase in the past. It was not likely she would be as steady at the Olympics when there was actual competition-- or if she had to overcome a new stressor like an injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Michelle Kwan in 2002 was very annoying. Because both mistakes in the LP were so unexpected.
    She had a great Nationals, she was reigning World Champ, Slutskaya was coming off a shaky GPF and Europeans, she finally beat Slutskaya in the short again despite a flawed 3flip, she was skating at home and totally owned the audience, she finally had a stable layout for Scheharazade, she had landed a great 3toe3toe in the warm up... The stars were all supposed to line up for her.

If she lost to Slutskaya, I would blame it on politics. Only Russian politics over a 2 year period could transform Slutskaya to 5.8-worthy on the second mark. Still, she did have some good technical elements.

But she lost to Hughes - it spoke volumes about how much she under-performed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think Cohen should be listed for 2006. She was favored to the extent that people believed Sasha could somehow lay down enough technical content and that Slutskaya would double or miss some jump elements. Slutskaya was not such a lock. She lost the GPF to a 15 year old, people generally hated her biellman positions, and she had been a headcase in the past. It was not likely she would be as steady at the Olympics when there was actual competition-- or if she had to overcome a new stressor like an injury.
    Actually Slutskaya beat Cohen decisively at 2005 Worlds and was extremely solid in the 2005-6 GPs. The only lady who beat her that season wasn't old enough for Turino. Meanwhile Cohen hadn't beaten Slutskaya in a long time and didn't even win her lone GP.

After a strong Nationals, I would only peg her as a heavy medal favorite but wouldn't bet her to beat Slutskaya at all. I honestly wouldn't call her a co-favorite in 2006.

vCash
    I can't decide, since I haven't watched all of them but only a few. Debi Thomas needed a lot of courage to compete Witt, and I found her exciting and strong. ...and let me add: for sure, it wasn't MY disapointment when she didn't win the gold, but hers.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    LMAO. A heart of gold is a rarity, is it? Is Susan known as No-Mates-Sue?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Well, Slutskaya received very high PCS during 2005 GPS. And she was a stronger jumper than Cohen. So, I was fairly sure Slutskaya would win, or at elast, would beat Cohen !

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    She had a great Nationals, she was reigning World Champ, Slutskaya was coming off a shaky GPF and Europeans, she finally beat Slutskaya in the short again despite a flawed 3flip, she was skating at home and totally owned the audience, she finally had a stable layout for Scheharazade, she had landed a great 3toe3toe in the warm up... The stars were all supposed to line up for her.

If she lost to Slutskaya, I would blame it on politics. Only Russian politics over a 2 year period could transform Slutskaya to 5.8-worthy on the second mark. Still, she did have some good technical elements.

But she lost to Hughes - it spoke volumes about how much she under-performed.
    Exactly my thought. What a shock it was, really !

vCash
    I would have included Cohen in 2006, since even though I considered her less favored than Slutskaya, she was close enough to be considered a co favorite by some; and would have included both Kerrigan and Bonaly for 1994 as co favorites with Baiul. Baiul was in no way the dominant favorite for gold. Yeah she was World Champion, but had lost Europeans the last 2 years to Bonaly, and lost that season to Bonaly and Tanja Szewcenko. Chen, Sato, Chouinard, maybe Harding were all major contenders that year as well (although I would include none in a poll about gold medal favorites), it was one of the most wide open Olympic ladies events ever.

vCash
    Midori Ito. Because in her case, she could have easily won over Yamaguchi. The pressure of her entire country clearly effected her performance and it was disappointing to see her have such a terrible short program and a mediocre free.

Michelle wasnt really disappointing to me especially in 98. Both skaters were perfect it was just that the other was slightly better. But for Midori, she could have easily won even without great artistic marks.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast