Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Well, Phantom of the Opera it is.....
    It's not going to be Kinky Boots, that's for sure.

Maybe they'll at least be somewhat less predictable and go with Chicago?
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    In her recent interview Mozer gave a hint about the music for the FS: "When last year we saw the show on Broadway, we discussed with excitement the possibility to use this for skating".
    Les Mis?
    Or was that not on Broadway?

vCash
    OK, I was that not lazy (or on the opposite that lazy to actually work) that I checked Max's IG from a year ago (because he documents there his every step ), and I found this:
    http://instagram.com/p/LRdTC3uVc1/
    http://instagram.com/p/LRdX5yOVc7/
    Do we have an answer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    OK, I was that not lazy (or on the opposite that lazy to actually work) that I checked Max's IG from a year ago (because he documents there his every step ), and I found this:
    http://instagram.com/p/LRdTC3uVc1/
    http://instagram.com/p/LRdX5yOVc7/
    Do we have an answer?
    That might be tolerable, actually. Nice sleuthing, if it turns out to be true!

Though I'd pay good money to see a Kinky Boots program. Or them skating to Wicked

vCash
    It's still Andrew Lloyd Webber's elctro-pop schlock. Also, Maxim as Jesus would be a little too much to handle.

Very nice sleuthing, though, reut. Kudos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I don't think they said that they want one given to them. They just expressed that they wouldn't have it which I would interpret that they can't afford it. They are not Yu-Na Kim, I don't think they have that much spare money.
    Trankov said: "the odds to get one in Moscow are low - the current major of town wouldn't grant the athletes flats for any achievements". Sometimes the Russian government gives their top athletes expensive gifts, sometimes apartments, for big achievements. He clearly is saying that the current mayor is not likely to give them such a gift, which means they probably hoped for it. Of course, they cannot afford to buy it, just too expensive.

vCash
    Also, Maxim as Jesus would be a little too much to handle.

Very nice sleuthing, though, reut. Kudos.

vCash
    It's still Andrew Lloyd Webber's elctro-pop schlock. Also, Maxim as Jesus would be a little too much to handle.
    You know he'd be all melodramatic about the whole thing - it'll be vastly entertaining! This reminds me of this blog post, from 2012 Worlds:

Mr. Trankov would make a perfect Catholic martyr in one of those old paintings where said martyr is being slowly disemboweled on a spiked wheel while praying to God, eyes upturned towards the heavens in fevered ecstasy. Those eyes, that anguish. Um, yeah.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    Trankov said: "the odds to get one in Moscow are low - the current major of town wouldn't grant the athletes flats for any achievements". Sometimes the Russian government gives their top athletes expensive gifts, sometimes apartments, for big achievements. He clearly is saying that the current mayor is not likely to give them such a gift, which means they probably hoped for it. Of course, they cannot afford to buy it, just too expensive.
    Not necessarily: it may mean "In a different time we would have been given an apartment, and we could afford to stay, but not now, so we've made other plans."

Ballet dancers in Moscow face the same issue: in the past they might have been assigned better/affordable housing, or given apartments if they're stars like Osipova (as part of a deal to lure her to another company) or Tsiskaridze (gifted by an oligarch), but now they're being paid relatively low wages and expected to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

It's a win for where they're going, since there's already a concentration of coaches in Moscow. Berezhnaia and Trankov wouldn't have become workd-class skaters without the developmental coaches they had in the "sticks" and maybe some up-and-comers who are not yet being subsidized might find where they're going more affordable.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Great to hear they arent resting on their laurels and know they need to skate great to win. Does Maxim moving to Sochi after the Games means the partnership with Volosozhar is already over after Olympics, and they arent even going to post Olympic Worlds or doing any shows together?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Great skaters do what they need to do to win. Legends go above and beyond and hope for something more. Vague and hopelessly cheesy, but I stand by it.
    Which pairs team go above and beyond in recent memory though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frillit View Post
    Savchenko and Szolkowy pretty clearly aren't just looking to rack up points; they challenge themselves both technically and artistically. It's very unfortunate that they'll likely lose out in the Olympics to the far more conventional V/T and their blah programs.

vCash
    Well... Ummmh... Jesus Christus Superstar... I really love this pair´s talent, but...

vCash
    It's still Andrew Lloyd Webber's elctro-pop schlock.
    It's not electro-pop, it's a rock opera, actually . It's far from one and the same. Originally famous rock singers sang in it and in the movie. But I guess for those who like only classical music, it's all the same indeed - pop, rock, jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, or whatever .

Does Maxim moving to Sochi after the Games means the partnership with Volosozhar is already over after Olympics, and they arent even going to post Olympic Worlds or doing any shows together?
    Read more carefully - they intend to move to Sochi together. I don't think it means that their partnership will be over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    It's not electro-pop, it's a rock opera, actually . It's far from one and the same. Originally famous rock singers sang in it and in the movie. But I guess for those who like only classical music, it's all the same indeed - pop, rock, jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, or whatever .
    Wow, two rolleyes just because someone dislikes a piece of music - I'm impressed.

Did you base your conclusion that Proustable only likes classical music on, well, anything? Because it is possible to like various types of music and still dislike ALW's work.

vCash
    Great to hear they arent resting on their laurels and know they need to skate great to win. Does Maxim moving to Sochi after the Games means the partnership with Volosozhar is already over after Olympics, and they arent even going to post Olympic Worlds or doing any shows together?
    No, Max and Tanya plan to move to sochi together, Max says that maybe they will open a school there, together. And that is one of the reasons why they went to sochi in April after the WTT and before going in vacation to mexico.

And Nina in one of her recent interviews said that Tanya and Max will continue to skate after the Olympic games, because they still didn't reach the full pleasure of skating together, because they are partners for very little time. She just didn't specified if in shows or in competitions.
    Last edited by volotrankov; 07-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Wow, two rolleyes just because someone dislikes a piece of music - I'm impressed.

Did you base your conclusion that Proustable only likes classical music on, well, anything? Because it is possible to like various types of music and still dislike ALW's work.
    I was not "rolling my eyes" because Proustable dislikes 'Jesus Christ Superstar', but because he/she obviously doesn't know the difference between electro-pop and rock. Which also lead me to think that Proustable knows (meaning - really knows, not simply has heard) and likes only classical music, although probably I am wrong. By the way, I admit that I haven't heard newer versions of the 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, so I don't know how it sounds now, I only know what it was originally.

vCash
    The only ALW that I have heard that would fit into the "electro-pop" genre would be his Song and Dance which has that Variations on a Theme of Paganini that so many skaters like to use (like Usova/Zhulin and Ina/Zimmerman). However, I haven't heard any of his new stuff.

That said, I do think it's sort of a big jump to accuse Proustable and others who don't like ALW or Jesus Christ Superstar as only listening to classical music.

vCash
    True, but I agree with Zemgirl that Savchenko/Szolkowy seem to try to leave their own mark in skating, and it's a bit jarring to hear a skater openly admit that they'll just skate in a way that's good enough to win without trying to achieve a bit more. Skaters do what they can to win and it may be the "smart" strategy, but I just can't help but be disappointed when a pairs team that talented and capable don't feel the need to do something more than generic.

Of course I'm biased towards the skaters who do have that sort of mind-frame as I became a huge skating fan with Michelle Kwan with all of her talk of wanting to be remembered in skating history and trying for more artistic pieces (at least at her peak before 2004-2006). I remember those fluff pieces Lori did about Kwan around the 1996 Worlds where Lori asked Michelle what what she thinks an artist is, and Kwan said something about how "this is how Oksana would move, etc." with Lori then asking her what does she want people to do if they're asked how does Michelle move. Again, it's cheesy, but that's what I appreciate in skating.

I think COP's streamline system, it's actually easier for skaters and teams who want to stand-out to do so even if their execution may suffer. Again, it's not the smartest strategy, but I appreciate those who take the risk and do more and I think those are the ones the tend to be fondly remembered. Of course, there's more ways in being innovative like breaking technical and difficulty barriers and perfecting technique. I guess we can say that V/T's actual skating is so good that we can admire their execution and skill even if their routines are not exactly ground-breaking or even interesting or deep.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Jesus Christ Superstar.

The only way I can tolerate it is if they do a Loverbukhs style JSC photoshoot!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast