Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Wagner picks Arutunian to join coaching team

USFS' press release today: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    (06/25/2013) - Ashley Wagner, the two-time reigning U.S. champion, announced Tuesday she has commenced training part time with Rafael Arutunian in Lake Arrowhead, Calif. She continues to train with John Nicks in Aliso Viejo, Calif. Arutunian will accompany Wagner to competitions.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thank you. Does anyone know who will choreograph for her?

vCash
    She announced her choreographers as David Wilson (FS) and Shae-Lynn Bourne (SP) in this May 28 article that includes video: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2013/Jan...ey-Wagner.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Great news! I believe that Arutunian will be a good match for Ashley. Thanks for the update.

vCash
    I kinda figured this was going to happen. Great choice. Rafael seems a little less crotchety than Nicks LOL. Rafael will most likely assist her with the 3/3 combinations and hopefuly her double footing.

I liked this video with Ash. She seems so transparent and touchable; you feel like you can relate to what she is saying.

vCash
    I can't think of a better choice. Hope it works out well.

vCash
    good and smart choice

vCash
    WOW That's a great news. Good for her!

vCash
    Not surprising, but I'm happy. He's a great coach.

vCash
    She's made a lot of good choices going into next season

vCash
    Who else.

Hopefully the 3flip3toe can finally materialize.

vCash
    RA will make the already improved jumps better. Ashley is making some great choices.

vCash
    Best of both worlds IMO. RA is an excellent technical coach and I've always noticed that skaters' jumps get stronger under him. This makes me hopeful for Ashley's chances of getting that 3F-3T consistent. It's not a matter of can she do it or not; I've seen video of her hitting some good ones in practice...it's just very untested in competition b/c she was very wishy-washy about including it.

Now that there isn't an option to include it (it's a must for her if she wants to maintain her position) I think we'll see it on a regular basis, and with RA helping her, I think her chances of getting it consistent are great.

vCash
    A great choice, I believe.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Definitely a sound choice, Rafael is an excellent technical coach.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Great! I hope Ashley finds this coaching combination supportive and helpful (especially technically) and the choreographers inspiring. All good choices. Now the tough work is up to Ashley, but she doesn't seem to shy away from hard work. I wish her very good luck.

O-

vCash
    Great News. I was hoping Ashley would work with Rafael. Wishing her a great season!!!

vCash
    I in no way think I have a good understanding of this. Having said that, everyone says Arutunian is a great technical coach....not even disputing that. But, Mao's jumps were not technically great. Michelle had some of her worst skating ever under his guidance.

Cohen loved training with him, but was injured and had to withdraw from her GP events, did well in the SP at US Nats, but not the long. Cohen, had different issues.....but still.

So, I have always had the impression that Arutunian is "good on paper" but his skaters are not great on the ice. So I am a little worried about Ashley choosing him as a jump coach. Also, the commute between Lake Arrowhead and OC is not fun or short.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Michelle's jumps did improve under Rafael considering her injuries. Rafael also did wonders with Buttle and his Axel problems.
    Sasha is another story...we don't know exactly why she left him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    I in no way think I have a good understanding of this. Having said that, everyone says Arutunian is a great technical coach....not even disputing that. But, Mao's jumps were not technically great. Michelle had some of her worst skating ever under his guidance.

Cohen loved training with him, but was injured and had to withdraw from her GP events, did well in the SP at US Nats, but not the long. Cohen, had different issues.....but still.

So, I have always had the impression that Arutunian is "good on paper" but his skaters are not great on the ice. So I am a little worried about Ashley choosing him as a jump coach. Also, the commute between Lake Arrowhead and OC is not fun or short.
    Mao was with RA for only a season and a half. Had she remained with him her jumps probably would not have deteriorated the way they did for two seasons.

Michelle's jumps actually got better while she was under RA, and that was during the last years of her career (2003-2005). During those years she had spotless skates at nationals twice, worlds (2003) and two very solid skates at worlds in 2004.

Your "worst skating ever" reference came from the very last major competition she participated in (2005 worlds) where she was competing under the new system for the first time. Her qualifying round was terrible but she finished the competition in 4th place which, granted, was unheard of for Michelle (having not missed a podium in 10 years) but when you put it in perspective it was a decent placement for anyone else. Saying RA was responsible for Michelle's worst finish ever (which was only 4th) at the end of a 10+ year career isn't fair to him or her.

When you're talking about Sasha Cohen and jumps, you can't point the finger at anybody but her...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast