vCash

National Showcase

I am a coach from Canada and I have a few skaters who will be going to National Showcase this year. This will be my first trip as well as theirs. I am wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with this competition (it looks like a lot of fun!). My biggest question at the moment has to do with the introductions/descriptions they are asking for. I have been trying to get an idea from youtube what is expected but I am looking for some more advice. Do I just put the name of the song and artist. If I write a description of the theme (for dramatic) and the emotion comes across but does not actually act out the theme itself, does that take away from their mark? My specific example is a mother leaving a message or wish behind for her child (in case she is not their as the child grows up). My skater isn't actually acting out the msg but the feelings behind it. I would also love any general advice about this competition and what to expect (particularly with the differences with a regular competition such as spotlights and a smaller area to warm-up). Thanks in advance for any help!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Unfortunately I can't help (I'm in the US), but wanted to wish you good luck!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm afraid I can't offer any help, either. I just wanted to wish you and your skaters the best at National Showcase!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toronto_skater View Post
    I am a coach from Canada and I have a few skaters who will be going to National Showcase this year. This will be my first trip as well as theirs. I am wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with this competition (it looks like a lot of fun!). My biggest question at the moment has to do with the introductions/descriptions they are asking for. I have been trying to get an idea from youtube what is expected but I am looking for some more advice. Do I just put the name of the song and artist. If I write a description of the theme (for dramatic) and the emotion comes across but does not actually act out the theme itself, does that take away from their mark? My specific example is a mother leaving a message or wish behind for her child (in case she is not their as the child grows up). My skater isn't actually acting out the msg but the feelings behind it. I would also love any general advice about this competition and what to expect (particularly with the differences with a regular competition such as spotlights and a smaller area to warm-up). Thanks in advance for any help!
    The introduction statement does not need to be very detailed and is mainly for the fans in attendance. We are not looking for technical elements. That is why only one mark is given for the competition. You should plan your regulare competition warmup in a practice session.

Welcome to National Showcase
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    I want to wish you good luck in the National Showcase as well! I wish more skaters would participate as the ones who do seem to be so much happier. There is a little webinar (slides) on the net if people need more info.

vCash
    Thanks to everyone! The girls and I are very excited for this event! Both girls have really improved their presentation just training for this so I already feel like we have won.

vCash
    How did it go? I hope it was a good experience.

vCash
    It was a fantastic experience for everyone involved. Our club sent 2 competitors last year and now we have10-15 hoping to go next year! We are still waiting to hear where it is first of course. We learned a lot (especially about the dramatic event...our girls didn't have enough of a theme). Both girls did very well in their light entertainment numbers though. Thanks for all of the advice!