Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Nam is certainly learning to be a good competitor. He's had six clean or nearly clean long programs in a row (at Octoberfest, sectionals, Challenge, Canadians, 4CC and now Junior Worlds).

Adding a second triple axel is a huge achievement for him.

Also congratulations to Roman on his best international competition so far. Although his skating wasn't quite at the level that it was at Canadians, it was still very good.

vCash
    Congrats to Nam for winning gold. He has been steadily improving. Likely to be part of the 2018 team!

Love Roman's skating. Can't wait for him to progress and getting THE jumps. Go kid.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    And congrats toAlaine. Well done.

vCash
    Yes, very well done. I felt Alaine seemed quite stressed at Canadians. It is so good to hear such good results for her. And Nam - he is really coming in to his own. I really like the way Roman skates and lands and has such a non rushed feel to his programs - letting the meaning of each note resonate. Congratulations!
    pug lover

vCash
    Link to Alaine Chartrand's Junior Worlds FS video is posted in the Canadian ladies uber thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4207347

Roman Sadovsky finished in 13th place with 178.44 (he set 3 new ISU personal best scores in Sofia). ETA link to his SP (60.79, 14th): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2OtGgzPyo
    Sadovsky's Junior Worlds FS (12th): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV94WW739Z8
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Good to see Canada using Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy as a developmental international again - their 4 entries are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4208204
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-17-2014 at 07:19 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Bev Smith article on the recent Skate Canada Development Camp: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

The 25 skaters who fit the criteria for the camp came from all over the country: British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and so did their coaches, also on learning expeditions. For the first time, many of these young skaters, aged 11 to 17, met coaching stalwarts of the sport to get new tips: no-nonsense, ever-positive Doug Leigh; soft-spoken tower of calmness, Lee Barkell; people-person Jan Ullmark; Quebec coach extraordinaire Natalie Martin; western coach Joanne McLeod, who always has a posse of little ones at her knee; and veteran Josee Picard in a rebirth of her career.
    Let's hope they had Doug Leigh teaching axel technique and not Joanne McLeod........

And an update on Roman Sadovsky:

And Sadovsky? He’s working on his triple Axel and a quad Salchow. A 14-year-old wonder kid. “I’m working on it,” he said. “Hopefully, I can be kind of doing it next season.”
    Good for him. Wonder kid indeed.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    I'm concerned that only 8 of the 25 kids at the development camp were boys - which implies that less than half as many boys met the Skate Canada criteria. The imbalance between boys and girls seems to have been getting worse (very few boys at events in BC section, anyway, and there haven't been many strong JGP competitors recently). Young Canadian girls are stepping up, but where are the boys?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Bev Smith article on the recent Skate Canada Development Camp: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Thanks for posting the link!

2014 Participants (9 boys, 16 girls; 2014 Canadian Nationals placement added in brackets by me):
    Josh Allen, 16, Ottawa, Ont. [N3]
    Larkyn Austman, 16, Coquitlam, B.C. [S10]
    Edrian [Paul] Celestino, 16, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Que. [N2]
    Roxanne Cournoyer, 17, Sorel-Tracy, Que. [S9]
    Zachary Daleman, 14, Newmarket, Ont. [N5]
    Kim Decelles, 15, Baie-Comeau, Que. [N2]
    Kim DeGuise Léveillée, 16, Sorel-Tracy, Que. [J1]
    Julianne Delaurier, 16, Kelowna, B.C. [J2]
    Alexis Dion, 14, Ottawa, Ont. [N9]
    Madelyn Dunley, 17, Campbellville, Ont. [J4]
    Zoé Duval-Yergeau, 14, Repentigny, Que. [he was N9 in ice dance & N12 at Challenge in Men]
    Aislinn Ganci, 14, Sherwood Park, Alta. [N8]
    Jordyn Harper, 15, Milton, Ont. [N4]
    Grace Lin, 13, Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Que. [N12]
    Eric Liu, 12, Edmonton, Alta. [J3]
    Nicolas Nadeau, 16, Boisbriand, Que. [J4]
    Joseph Phan, 12, Laval, Que. [N1]
    Triena Robinson, 14, Fort St. John, B.C. [N5]
    Roman Sadovsky, 14, Vaughan, Ont. [S8]
    Alison Schumacher, 11, Tecumseh, Ont. [N11]
    Julianne Séguin, 17, Longueuil, Que. [S7]
    Sarah Tamura, 13, Burnaby, B.C. [N1]
    Bennet Toman, 17, St. Lazare, Que. [J2]
    Semi Won, 12, Barrie, Ont. [N10]
    Megan Yim, 12, Vancouver, B.C. [N3]
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-05-2014 at 08:04 PM.

vCash
    Article by Bev Smith about Alison Schumacher, age 11, and her coach, Jennifer Jackson, at the Development Camp: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Article by Bev Smith about Alison Schumacher, age 11, and her coach, Jennifer Jackson, at the Development Camp: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Promising young lady. There is growing depth in Canadian ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post

Let's hope they had Doug Leigh teaching axel technique and not Joanne McLeod........

And an update on Roman Sadovsky:

Good for him. Wonder kid indeed.
    Love this kid. He's a very smooth skater at 14yo. Once he gets his 3A, his marks will definitely shoot up.

vCash
    Another article by Bev Smith about 2 promising youngsters at the Development Camp - Sarah Tamura, 13, and Megan Yim, 12: http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...S/Default.aspx
    Both will skate in the junior division this season. (Tamura has to, because of her [Novice title] win). Both are getting new long programs. Tamura hopes to get some Junior Grand Prix assignments. “And if I do, I hope I make Canada proud,” she says.

She’s working to get all of her jumps consistent. And she’s working on triple-triple combos, too. (Look out Kaetlyn Osmond.) “Hopefully, I perform my best at every competition and just have fun this whole year.”

Yim has her own goals, but promises to take things one step at a time. She wants to become a better competitor. It’s not enough to put out good practices, she knows. “My goal is to get a high score and get triple Lutzes and stuff.”

vCash
    Wowee to the young girls.

What's up with Liam Firus and training in Colorado Springs? Looking forward to hearing the ladies and men's programs for 2015 Nationals. I heard Kevin will be keeping his ACDC?

vCash
    Liam has been training in Colorado with Krall since the middle of last year. She had really made a huge difference in his skating. There is no way, IMHO, that he would have done as well as he did last year if he had stayed in Vancouver. From all reports he loves training in Colorado and plans to stay there.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Thanks, mag. Looking forward to this coming season's programs from Liam. Also, any news of Andrei?

vCash
    I'm going to Nats and am looking forward to seeing the development of these kids: Nam, Liam, etc. There are so many promising young skaters now, in both the men and ladies.....certainly something to look forward to for sure
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Beverley Smith's latest article is about 2014 Junior bronze medalist Eric Liu, age 12: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    He doesn't turn 13 until August, so no JGP this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Beverley Smith's latest article is about 2014 Junior bronze medalist Eric Liu, age 12: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    He doesn't turn 13 until August, so no JGP this season.
    Eric, Nam and Roman are the kids to watch in future.

vCash
    2014 Junior men's champ Denis Margalik's programs at Canadians:

Short Program

Free Skate

Hopefully he'll get to make his JGP debut at last. He just turned 17 last week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Eric, Nam and Roman are the kids to watch in future.
    I think Nam will be in seniors from now on.
    Eric and Roman will be in juniors.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast