vCash

Introducing Gatsby the Great and Fearsome Puppy!

Before introducing you to Gatsby, let me tell you about Daisy. She was the sweetest little doggie and she died two years ago today after an allergic reaction to a routine shot and an incompetent vet's overreaction. While I still miss her (and her sister Ranger, best doggie ever in the entire world), I've been thinking for a while about getting a new puppy. I also think the best way to honor both Daisy and Ranger's memory is to give another abandoned, wonderful doggie a new home.

A week ago, a friend of mine was fostering a Jack Russell Terrier mix with the intention of adopting him, but his living situation changed and he was no longer in a position to take him. He briefly joked about giving him to me, but my mom was supposed to have knee surgery and a hornball puppy who humps everything in sight spirited puppy would not be good. It was a shame, because I met him a few times and he was just so . Well, my mom's surgery was cancelled yesterday and she was saying wouldn't it be nice to have a puppy again, so I called the place and he was still available! And now he's home with me! I really liked the place--when I called, they told me all the "bad" things--he was in a litter of six and is the last one because he's energetic, "friendly", and is a licker. I told them I was used to the "terrior" breed and I wouldn't want a dog any other way. I really like the place where I got him--the adoption cost was 150, and it includes neutering and a microchip which he'll get in August.

He discovered the kitchen first . He moved onto the backyard, where he ran around like he had never seen grass before (but liked it) and protected me from the garden hose. He loooooves Pepper the family dog. Pepper is coping. . Currently, Gatsby is napping on the loveseat, which he has claimed for himself.

While he's napping, I'm going to get some puppy supplies. Recommendations appreciated. But just as one of my particulars for food, I will not buy anything that has corn, wheat, or byproducts. He only weighs about five pounds, and while none of my dogs have ever been large, none of them have EVER been this small. He's smaller than my cat! All the treats we have on hand are too hard/big for him to eat. I also need recommendations for toys. Daisy and Ranger pretty much just used each other as toys and pretty much ignored what I gave them, unless it was furry and squeaked (Ranger only).
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Blue Wilderness has a line of grain free foods. I feed this to the Poodles and they do very well. I usually mix it with one can of food each day. It's good he's a pup so your cats can get their bluff in early since terriers tend to chase anything that moves. Good luck. And lots of patience.

As for toys, it totally depends on the dog. You'll just have to experiment and see what interests him. I do suggest buying the no stuffing toys since he'll probably tear them to shreds otherwise.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    OMG, DYING of cute! Congrats on the new pup! He's adorable.

I would just echo rfisher's suggestion of trying things out, re: toys. Balls of some kind are usually a pretty safe bet, though.

vCash
    Welcome to Gatsby!
    Cute, indeed.

vCash
    Congrats to you and Gatsby!

vCash
    He is precious! Great name. Enjoy him!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Innova has some grain free foods that even my picky cats liked. And it seems dogs will eat anything, so you should be good.

vCash
    ADORABLE. Daisy and Ranger are cheering him on from Doggy Heaven.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    He's a cutie. Congratulations!

vCash
    My dogs' favorite toy, hands down, was a tennis ball. They also liked to have a towel to drag around or play tug of war with. He may be too small to really play tug of war right now, but he might like to try anyway. My dogs were trying to play it when they were still teeny.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Adorable! We definitely need more pics of this cutie. Congrats to you on adopting.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Do not play tug-of-war with your puppy!!!!! Terriers are bred to fight and hunt and this reinforces that behavior. Every dog training book will tell you not to do this. Yes, it's a natural instinct that dogs like to do because it is part of their natural instinct, but it should not be associated with humans. Bella never played alone. She's a natural retriever and wanted me to throw things (it didn't really matter what). Draco, OTOH, loves to play by himself. He likes kong toys that bounce and he can chase (I've never had a dog that paid them any attention whatsoever before). He'll throw a stuffie (with no stuffing) into the air and play catch by himself. So, it really depends on the dog's personality what will be appealing.

Jack Russells are wonderful little dogs, but they can be pretty intense and will destroy things if not crated. Lots of things. They are fearless. My cousin had a pair that took on a fully grown beaver. They got the beaver and one of them had extensive surgery to sew her back together. As soon as she healed, she went right back to the beaver pond. My mom had a laid back JRT, but he was a bit of an anomoly. Most are going from the time they wake up until they sleep. You will have to work on biting as it can be a puppy problem with them. Just establish you role as alpha and don't do types of play that encourage biting behavior (like tug-of-war).
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    It looks like you'll have to use a faster shutter speed on your camera to catch that tail in action He's adorable! Congrats!
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Extreme cute! Contrats on your new addition.

vCash
    Congratulations, Matryeshka. What a cutie!!

We lost our cherished eight year old golden retriever Luna unexpectedly to cancer last week, it was heart-breaking. I had been thinking of introducing a new golden to the household next spring, as we got Luna when our other dog Maia was nine, and having Luna made Maia's passing much easier to bear. Timing is an issue because a puppy takes so much work, and I have a lot of free time in August/September. And, housebreaking is so much easier in the summer months here.

I'm both grieving and anticipating at the same time. And reminding myself of all the things that come with puppies - particularly, the chewing.

I'll add that tennis balls, when played with in excess, are terrible for dogs' teeth. Luna's teeth had been severely ground down and we weren't sure she would continue to be able to chew kibble.

I second not 'tug-of-war' with puppies. It suggests to them that humans are equals. One thing I've done with puppies is too give them bones and take them out of their mouths, then give them back. It really establishes who the alpha is and you can do only do that when they are puppies.

This time, I intend to get more things 'right'. Like going out of doors and gates before the puppy does. And teaching the 'come' command first. But I fear that this will create an overly compliant dog - I like a bit of personality in my canines.