Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 230
  1. #161

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Quite the snafu on KTVU (Bay Area Fox affiliate):
    http://youtu.be/L1JYHNX8pdo

    Apology:
    http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu...-flight/v6TFh/

    Notes:
    1) The pilots' names have been public knowledge almost since the crash happened
    2) KTVU is (relatively speaking) the highest-quality newscast in the Bay Area; they should know better
    Oh dear...
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  2. #162

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't believe they fell for that. I feel sorry for the anchor, she must have been so embarrassed when she realized what she'd done.

    Reminds me of the time a news anchor was updating about a murder investigation and the mug shot of the suspect came up, only it was a picture of a hamster. But at least in that case she immediately realized there was a problem and corrected accordingly.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,004
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Quite the snafu on KTVU (Bay Area Fox affiliate):
    http://youtu.be/L1JYHNX8pdo

    Apology:
    http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/ktvu...-flight/v6TFh/

    Notes:
    1) The pilots' names have been public knowledge almost since the crash happened
    2) KTVU is (relatively speaking) the highest-quality newscast in the Bay Area; they should know better
    I don't know whether to or them for such a mistake.

    Especially considering the Bay Area is full of Asians. They really should have known better. And yes, I thought I remember reading the pilots' names days ago.

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978

    Re: Plane crash at San Francisco Airport

    Oh my...

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

  5. #165
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm surprised no one has posted it yet (or I missed it in which case I apologize) but written news are reporting that it's been confirmed that one of the fatalities was run over by an ambulance

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Regarding seatbelts, I've been upgraded myself recenly and they were the same as in the economy class.

  7. #167
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I'm surprised no one has posted it yet (or I missed it in which case I apologize) but written news are reporting that it's been confirmed that one of the fatalities was run over by an ambulance
    Yes, but they haven't determined yet if she was already dead or the emergency vehicle killed her. Very sad either way.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,209
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Twitter:

    The Globe and Mail ‏@globeandmail 6m
    Third Chinese girl killed as a result of Asiana flight crash identified http://bit.ly/12zgPQ2

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The victims were close friends and top students, looking forward to spending a few weeks at a Christian summer camp in California, where they planned to practice English and boosting their chances of attending a U.S. college.

    Their parents were flown to San Francisco after their deaths where the Chinese consulate was caring for them.
    I'm glad the parents have made it safely - I can't imagine how difficult and scary that flight must have been for them.

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3886
    Regarding the KTVU news debacle, I hope that whoever was responsible for this juvenile racist callous prank is fired, fined, and spends quality community-service time in hospital wards for burn victims and spinal cord injury victims. That poor news anchor.

  11. #171
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,961
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35429
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Regarding the KTVU news debacle, I hope that whoever was responsible for this juvenile racist callous prank is fired, fined, and spends quality community-service time in hospital wards for burn victims and spinal cord injury victims. That poor news anchor.

    The NTSB confirmed that one of their interns confirmed the names as the pilots
    . I don't understand how that could have happened - someone called in a prank, nobody at the news station recognizes it's offensive, and the NTSB confirms the offensive names.?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  12. #172

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7659
    Re: Seatbelts, here in the east coast of the US, I believe that school buses still do not use any seatbelts, not lap belts, much less shoulder. Our children ride unprotected.

    I definitely think airplane seatbelts should be upgraded, cost be damned.

  13. #173

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    I am very sorry for the 3rd girl that died. They all must have sat together. Unfortunately I am not seeing a lot of coverage about her. May be because the parents have not arrived here yet?

  14. #174

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7659
    If I understand correctly, they are not going to release her name, perhaps the parents don't want publicity? So sad, I am afraid she must have suffered.

  15. #175
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    [URL="http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html"]
    and the NTSB confirms the offensive names.?
    An NTSB intern confirmed the names. I'm sure he or she is gone and the NTSB will be changing the way they deal with the media.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  16. #176

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Regarding the KTVU news debacle, I hope that whoever was responsible for this juvenile racist callous prank is fired, fined, and spends quality community-service time in hospital wards for burn victims and spinal cord injury victims. That poor news anchor.
    Did the person responsible for this prank, offensive as it was, commit a crime? And even if they did, I should think working with organizations that combat racism would be more appropriate in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post

    The NTSB confirmed that one of their interns confirmed the names as the pilots
    . I don't understand how that could have happened - someone called in a prank, nobody at the news station recognizes it's offensive, and the NTSB confirms the offensive names.?
    The station said they never sounded out the names, which is and I suppose makes it possible that whoever confirmed it just told them something like "yeah, we released the pilots' names" without actually confirming these specific names.

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3886
    Zemgirl, you raise a good question. I would think that intentionally and maliciously giving false information would be a misdemeanor of some sort, but I really don't know. The perpetrator tried to trivialize the pain and tragedy of the crash victims by turning it into a joke. I think this idiot needs to work on ordinary human empathy for suffering in addition to learning respect for all races.

  18. #178

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Did the person responsible for this prank, offensive as it was, commit a crime?
    I don't know if it's a crime, but it is certainly grounds for getting fired.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  19. #179

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Zemgirl, you raise a good question. I would think that intentionally and maliciously giving false information would be a misdemeanor of some sort, but I really don't know. The perpetrator tried to trivialize the pain and tragedy of the crash victims by turning it into a joke. I think this idiot needs to work on ordinary human empathy for suffering in addition to learning respect for all races.
    It was an incredibly insensitive thing to do, but I doubt that it was a crime. I am no legal expert, of course.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3,209
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The question is did this person do it deliberately or accidentally. You might wonder HOW in HECK could someone do this accidentally?

    Sometimes people who type out a draft use filler words or symbols as placeholders until the verified information can to inserted. Now, admittedly, if they used something as asinine as this it's extremely insensitive and downright stupid. But there have been other cases of a draft getting accidentally released.

    Whether this would be a crime I do not know. Slander and libel laws are hard to prove in the US; this is why you will often see celebrities sue in UK courts rather than US...my understanding is that the burden of proof is easier to reach in the British judicial system.

    Any lawyers or law students want to weigh in?
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •