Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think this is a very bag move on the part of the airline.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Good luck with that. They'll have a hard time proving damages of any kind.
    Agreed. The airline's reputation is "damaged" because of a lot more than racially discriminatory fake names.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Plane crash at San Francisco Airport

This will never hold. First of all, the airlines reputation is hurt because they crashed a plane and killed 3 people not because a news station was completely idiotic. Secondly, NTSB confirmed those names so even though the station was so stupid for not realizing the mistake, NTSB assured them they were good. The airline should go after the NTSB, if anyone.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This will never hold. First of all, the airlines reputation is hurt because they crashed a plane and killed 3 people not because a news station was completely idiotic. Secondly, NTSB confirmed those names so even though the station was so stupid for not realizing the mistake, NTSB assured them they were good. The airline should go after the NTSB, if anyone.
    Does the NTSB have sovereign immunity?

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Does the NTSB have sovereign immunity?

O-
    I have no idea. If it does then that takes them off the table but it also takes the responsibility off of the news station. IMO. I don't know what you are expected to do after confirming something with the NTSB. They got the go ahead, how can they possibly be responsible? I have a feeling the suit will be thrown out immediately and it is probably more of a move to deflect attention anyway. Proving that the news station hurt their reputation as opposed to the crash will be impossible.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I have a feeling the suit will be thrown out immediately and it is probably more of a move to deflect attention anyway.
    Good point. Classic PR move.

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    But everyone can see through this PR move so it defeats the purpose. Just creates more animosity towards the airline IMO.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    And it makes them look petty.

vCash
    Yes, but I suppose when you just crashed a plane and killed passengers then you make moves out of desperation. They probably felt they had nothing to lose.

I wonder if this was a wise PR move for them back in Korea, though. They can bring up the horrible racist Americans and cast us as the villains and hope the people over there forget that a plane crashed.
    -Brian

vCash
    I wonder if this was a wise PR move for them back in Korea, though. They can bring up the horrible racist Americans and cast us as the villains and hope the people over there forget that a plane crashed.
    Agreed. I seached the news on Asiana Airline on one of the biggest Korean portal site, Naver, sorting the articles on timeline. With Google translater, I see the latest articles are mostly on the suit. Although all I could read was just titiles and a few lines of the articles, it's clear that they succeeded in defecting people's attention back in Korea so far. Here is the link of it but I DON'T RECOMEND you to click it since the site is sometimes HARMFUL for your PCs, e.g. cookies/virus.( my PC is OK so far with my security soft, though.)
    http://news.search.naver.com/search....tab_tmr&frm=mr

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, rosewood. Interesting. I wonder if we have Korean-speaking posters who could comment.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    There I found three important news on the Naver site. (I posted the link of the site above.) It seems Asiana/83-passengers are thinking the crash might be caused by the mechanical malfunction of Boeing 777. A flight was delayed 17 hours, and another suit is planed by 83 passengers on the flight that crash-landed. The English articles are as follows:

Asiana flight from LA delayed 17 hours by oil leak
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...f2075d3bb3.211

SEOUL — An Asiana Boeing 777 was delayed in Los Angeles for 17 hours due to an engine oil leak, days after the same model crashed in San Francisco, Asiana said Wednesday.

Some 200 passengers had to be moved to a nearby hotel as the plane was worked on.

"We had to make sure that any mechanical problems are fixed properly before a take-off," an Asiana Airlines spokeswoman told AFP.

Lawsuit Targets Boeing Following Asiana Crash
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...215739411.html
    A Chicago law firm says it plans to sue aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co. on behalf of 83 people who were on the Asiana Airlines flight that crash-landed in San Francisco.
    The firm says the crash might have been caused by a mechanical malfunction of the auto-throttle. It also says some sliding ramps reportedly opened inside the plane, injuring passengers and blocking their exit.

And the latest news says Asiana decided not to sue KTVU. I wonder if there isn't any English article yet. This is the article written in Korean, which I read with Google translater.
    http://www.tbs.seoul.kr/news/bunya.d...seq_800=530817
    Last edited by rosewood; 07-17-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added two more articles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post

Lawsuit Targets Boeing Following Asiana Crash
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...215739411.html
    So, they're going to hold Boeing responsible that four pilots weren't capable of making sure that the height a freaking computer - and yes, computers do fail - showed them was correct? Aside from the point that it's not Boeings responsibility to maintain the plane after it's sold to an airline. I have to assume it wasn't the first flight of the plane, so how can Boeing be responsible for the malfaunctioning of a computer years after the plane was sold? Seriously? I find that ridiculous. Especially since there are no other accidents reported in connection to that auto-throttle malfunction and the 777 has not had a fatal accident until then. If humans "take the word" of computers instead of double and triple checking manually then it's not the manufacturer's fault! Then it's the problem of the pilot's mindset, in my opinion.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    ITA
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-station-ktvu/ (includes CBS News video)

CBS/AP/ July 17, 2013, 9:47 AM

Asiana Airlines pulls back on plans to sue San Francisco TV station KTVU

Excerpt:

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA Asiana Airlines said Wednesday it no longer plans to sue a San Francisco TV station over the use of racially offensive names.

The South Korean air carrier said that KTVU-TV has already apologized for using fake names for four pilots on a plane that crashed in San Francisco on July 6. It will no longer sue, as it had said it would do.

Asiana says it wants to focus on supporting passengers and families. The crash killed three and injured dozens.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    They just don't know whom to sue. There was no indication of a malfunction of the computer or the engine, was there? So what's the grievance towards Boeing?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    They just don't know whom to sue. There was no indication of a malfunction of the computer or the engine, was there? So what's the grievance towards Boeing?
    I think the bottom line, at this point anyway, is that the investigation is still continuing and there is no final word on what the cause was or causes were. As usual, the lawyers and interested parties are jumping quickly on the litigation bandwagon without knowing the facts.

O-

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Perhaps the management should muzzle lawyers for the time being as they are not doing their image any favors.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    They just keep getting more desperate, don't they? I think they know that any investigation results are NOT going to look good for them so they need to do as much damage control now while they can. If that includes lots of finger pointing then so be it.
    -Brian

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    They should be thanking Boeing for building such a strong plane that the fuselage stayed intact after all THAT.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast