vCash

Help needed planning a trip in Europe!

This autumn I'm planning a skating related holiday, going to Nebelhorn Trophy at the end of September and then the French Masters the following weekend, but I'm still working out how to fill the week between the two events. Anyone got any suggestions?

I was vaguely thinking of getting the train from Oberstdorf to somewhere in Switzerland, but I'm not sure where would be best to go - I like city visits, particularly if there's some interesting history, or just a nice place to wander around. My main concern is that everyone says Switzerland is expensive... Any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions pretty much anywhere in France, Germany, Switzerland, maybe even Northern Italy.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Help needed planning a trip in Europe!

Great thread! We're going to Europe next year so I plan on stealing a lot of advice in here!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    One of my favorite places in Switzerland is Interlaken. There are some less expensive plays to stay there (Balmer's Auberge if you don't mind the odd drunken Australian ), and lots of activities. Plus it's gorgeous.

vCash
    Thanks! It does look stunning. Would you say there's enough to do there to keep me entertained for 4 days, or might it be better to do a couple of days there and then head on somewhere else?

vCash
    If you go to Interlaken (the Jungfrau area is indeed one of the prettiest in Switzerland), I would advise you to stop in Bern on your way - it's a beautiful, old city, definitely worth at least a few hours of your time.

vCash
    I've never stayed more than three days in Interlaken, but it just depends on what you like to do. Bern is really pretty as well.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Munich is interesting- I spent a few days there when I went to Nebelhorn a few years ago. It's really easy to get to from Obertsdorf. There's lots to see and do there. especially if you are history buff. We saw the ballet, opera, palaces and museums. Plenty of shopping too. And it should Oktoberfest, if you are into that sort of thing.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Bern is lovely. So long as you're not in an ice rink.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Interlaken is great. From there you can take a day trip by train to many surrounding areas, including the Jungfrau. You can also take a day cruise on the river Aare.
    Oh, just be certain to go to the correct train station. I don't remember all the details now. I think it is Interlaken Ost that has trains to Lauterbrunnen. The West station is close to the centre of town.
    Here is a Wikipedia link http://wikitravel.org/en/Interlaken
    We stayed at the Hotel du Lac, very close to Interlaken Ost station and right on the river, but a bit of a walk into town.

vCash
    There'd always be the option to spend the days in Paris, right? Or have you already been? I just checked where the Masters are and it seems like Paris would be more or less on the way anyway.