Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I didn't take the test, because I don't type text that I'm copying, and found that the process of reading/typing verbatim slowed me down. I mostly edit or compose text, rarely copy.
    I found that too. I spend most of my day typing, not copying (we have cut and paste function for that ) so it felt awkward not only copying, but typing over it. Forced me to think about the letters, when normally when I type I'm not spelling out the words in my head, but rather just typing the words directly as I think of them.

That's something that finger typers can likely never do - if you learned to type the traditional way, there comes a time when you stop spelling and your fingers just know where to find the letters as you are composing the text in your head. Sort of like being able to speak a second language without having to translate each word in your head first.

vCash
    When I was younger, I could type very fast, I don't remember the extact number but was very high. Now my fingers just don't connect with my brain as well.
    I think it was between 60 and 80 somewhere around there.

vCash
    Late to the typing test, but I got 70 wpm with 0 errors (although I had to backspace a couple of times --kept making the same mistake by typing the letter "t" to start a word without leaving a space after the previous word!). My entire typing "training" was a 6-week summer school course in personal typing (on an old manual typewriter) after 8th grade because I wanted to be able to type my papers in high school. That was ages ago, and I still put two spaces after a period, question mark, or exclamation point (and use the Harvard/serial comma).

Re typing teachers: I never took typing class in high school, but some of the typing and other business ed teachers looked rather formidable and intimidating. My locker was right outside one of the typing classrooms and I remember between classes the teacher standing beside the doorway with her arms crossed across her chest and a not very friendly look on her face.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    There was a typing class back when I was in high school (and a steno one too!) I never took it because it didn't fit into my schedule. I managed to get through college with the hunt and peck method on a typewriter, but after I graduated, I got my first computer and I ended up taking an adult ed class (no grades) at the local tech college and finally learned to type. Very glad I did!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jenny;3952467
    That's something that finger typers can likely never do - if you learned to type the traditional way, there comes a time when you stop spelling and your fingers just know where to find the letters as you are composing the text in your head. Sort of like being able to speak a second language without having to translate each word in your head first.[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool, isn't it? I actually type faster than I think and get really flustered when the red underline in word tells me I've made a spelling error.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234