Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I have never been taught anything other than 1 space after a period.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    You're not a dinosaur .

I learned the two-space rule in 1972 on a manual typewriter where the letters on the keys were covered.

I haven't understand why tests insist on no corrections since the correcting selectrics have been used for tests: it takes time to correct, and that should reduce speed in itself, leaving a net result.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    To Anita : You said - My sister used to hunt and peck, until AIM came out...

Can I ask you what AIM is? I'm a hunt and pecker and I'd like to improve.

Anyone have any creative suggestions I'd be open to it - it's hard to break an old habit but I quit smoking so I can do this too! I tried the standard typing class online - but it was so dreary and slow I could not stand it.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamawake2 View Post
    To Anita : You said - My sister used to hunt and peck, until AIM came out...

Can I ask you what AIM is? I'm a hunt and pecker and I'd like to improve.

Anyone have any creative suggestions I'd be open to it - it's hard to break an old habit but I quit smoking so I can do this too! I tried the standard typing class online - but it was so dreary and slow I could not stand it.
    AIM is America Online's Instant messenge program where you can chat with your friends. It was very popular in the late 90s early 2000s.

I think for my generation who went to high school during that period, we all learned how to type (even if not properly) really quickly because of instant messaging. Now it looks like kids are born knowing how to type/text/skype/video edit/etc.

vCash
    And see, I thought AIM did more to DEGRADE proper typing because kids who had never learned how to properly type would get on a chat and quickly learn that the hunt and peck wasn't fast enough. But instead of teaching themselves how to type faster the correct way, text speak was born. U no, sum1 writing like ths, k? Hooooooley cow, is that annoying.

I credit my ability to type well to Mavis Beacon, lol. As soon as we got our first "real" computer in 1998, my parents made all of us kids take lessons and my dad gave out cash prizes to those who could achieve a certain WPM. I can get a little competitive so I beat his goal twice and got pretty fast in the process. I'm just happy that I learned how to touch type BEFORE I learned what AIM and the Internet was...it's served me very, very well.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My whole life changed because my high school did not teach typing. In 1978, I tried to get a job on the Hill here in Washington. Never having been taught, I couldn't pass the typing test which girls -- and only girls! -- had to pass to qualify. So, for better or for worse I never did get any Congressional experience.

After I flunked, I bought a typing manual and taught myself. The next job I applied for only required 35 wpm and I (barely) passed. But typing every day for the next several years did its work and within a few years I could type 120 wpm, no mistakes.

Just now I did 90 with one mistake, not bad considering the natural progress of age, I guess.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Before 10th grade, my high school, which was bursting at the seams, staggered the periods with 11th and 12th graders taking periods 1-7 (8am-2:20pm) and 9th and 10th graders taking periods 2-8 (8:40am-3:10pm). My father insisted that I take all eight periods my sophomore year, so that I could take 8am typing class, because even though I was going to go to college, I needed to be sure I could get a job as a secretary when I graduated.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I only use my index fingers when I type, and the left one is on constant shift key duty. Nevertheless, I can type pretty damn quickly, without errors - but I keep my eyes on the keyboard whilst typing, so having to look up to read the sentences slowed me down something fiercely, and I kept hitting the wrong keys when I wasn't looking. Bah, humbug, I say!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Well, it's been years since I used a typewriter. The fastest speed for me without any errors was 65 WPM. That was during 1990 to 2004 when I worked for a property management company in Accounting.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I think typing is also affected by the type of keyboard you use. From my experience desktops tend to have the more raised keyboard, but my laptop that I am using now has a flatter one. I think the laptop is more difficult to use.

And I was taught 2 spaces.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I remember scoring 120 back on a desktop.

I type weirdly. I use all five fingers on my left hand but only my middle finger on my right, for some reason. I have no idea how this developed.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    Top speller in my class, and awful at typing. 24-30 is my average. I'm afraid to know what it is now.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    And see, I thought AIM did more to DEGRADE proper typing because kids who had never learned how to properly type would get on a chat and quickly learn that the hunt and peck wasn't fast enough. But instead of teaching themselves how to type faster the correct way, text speak was born. U no, sum1 writing like ths, k? Hooooooley cow, is that annoying.
    I think the text speak and IM slang is a stylistic choice. I grew up typing that way with my friends. However, the typing skills carry over once you start typing in full sentences and use proper grammar and punctuation.

vCash
    I type 85 wpm when correcting errors (in other words that is my actual working speed). I hate tests that don't let you correct because I always do automatically and then it counts those as more errors. When in real life can you not correct errors?

I learned to type in 2nd grade, about 1989 or so. I think i technically type v with the wrong hand, becsuse it is usually on the other side of split keyboards. We did 2 spaces after periods then, but by high school compensating fonts had been introduced so went to 1. I just finished 6 years at a dinosaur publisher that used 2 so now I am having to retract myself 1. (The effect now of putting in 2 spaces is that you get 3! Visually annoying. )

vCash
    I do about 90. 100+ with familiar material. I used to do entertainment contracts on an old electric and could bang out an 8 pager in about an hour. The gal that replaced me took 4.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I took typing class in 8th grade. At that time, and through high school on my manual typewriter, I could do 45 wpm. On an electric when I first started temping during and after college, I could do 60ish, and by the time most of the work was on computers I could do 80+. Definitely the equipment makes a difference as well as the amount of practice.

On this test I scored 98 wpm, no errors (backspacing 2 or 3 times to correct). I did feel that I was going very fast, but it was also easy material. I definitely slow down when numbers and special symbols are involved. (89 on the Typingtest.com test)

I recently bought a tablet and had to buy a keyboard to go with it. After all that time invested in developing touch typing skills, I'd hate to be forced back to hunt-and-peck methods.

vCash
    I got 51 wpm. I'm impressed with those of you who got 70+, nice

vCash
    I didn't take the test, because I don't type text that I'm copying, and found that the process of reading/typing verbatim slowed me down. I mostly edit or compose text, rarely copy.

Some years I ago I took a typing test for a job and was so nervous that my hands were shaking uncontrollably, and I still scored 45 wpm. So I guess my speed is 80-100 wpm. As the number of typos I make in my posts here and my emails frequently demonstrate I often type too fast.

When I learned to type we had boards over the keys, so we couldn't look. It worked like a charm. Two spaces after a period was the rule because of the different sizes of typewriter-produced letters. So far as I know the rule is now one space, it's a rule I constantly forget.

Don't all kids learn to keyboard in school now?

vCash
    77 wpm with 325 errors? Every word must be incorrectly typed.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I can see how that's the case with texting, because I have legitimately tiny fingers (3.25 ring size!) and even I have trouble using a smartphone keyboard. Heck, I'm still using a flip phone so mine's a number pad! Any way I can lessen the time I spend with those things, I'll take it!

But typing entire words and full sentences on a full keyboard is easy enough that it's a stylistic choice.

And my sister always typed in full words and sentences. The only thing we don't do when we chat is use the Shift key. Lower-case doesn't bother us, but misspellings do.

iamawake2, there's nothing more motivating to a teenager than communicating with her friends.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast