Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Geez. 40 wpm is average. Y'all are speed demons.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Woah! This takes me back! When I was in high school, we used manual typewriters (think very slow) and getting 35 wpm was basic level, 60 wpm was what you aimed for to get a job. If you had 80 wpm, you were stellar and executive secretary material. My mother was a national typing champion who did about 120 wpm and they wouldn't let her compete at the Canadian National Exhibition because they said she was too fast! When she applied for jobs in our town, she would have to take a typing test (to see if she could do 60 wpm) and she would always leave them gasping when she'd do 100 wpm. "I used to be much faster" was her comment afterwards. All that on manual typewriters!

vCash
    I dispute that test. I clocked in at 87 wpm (0 errors)??? I typed 40-45 in high school & college, and I can't believe that I've improved THAT much since then. I'll have to find another test.

Typingtest.com got me at (adjusted) 56 wpm.

I think the difficulty of the material makes a big difference. Typingtest.com had some actual, y'know, punctuation, capitalization, dashes, quotation marks, etc.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    52 wpm, 1 error. Must be all the practice on FSU during pbp threads.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I got 98 on the test offered here and 91 on typingtest.com. Typingtest.com is definitely harder, but I think part of that is that the first place highlights the text as you type it and typingtest.com shows it below, so if you make an error it can take longer to catch it and fix it.

vCash
    On typeracer.com, my best is 140wpm. But honestly, I do not recommend it. Sometimes I regret having the ability to type so fast because it's caused RSI. Yeah I try to type more slowly, but inevitably I end up typing fast because I often don't feel the pain until I stop.

Will try the test on this thread soon.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 07-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    I got 44 wpm on typingtest.com. That sounds about right. I applied for a secretary position a few years back and typed 48 wpm. I'm amazed so many of you type so fast!

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    Wow, no wonder I only have 1300ish posts here after more than a decade. I type at a sluggish 40 words per minute on a good day. Thank goodness I took typing in high school, or I would be hopeless.

Little skateycat struggles with printing so much that we have investigated typing as a different way of writing. We got him Typing Instructor for Kids, and I will sit with him or near him to help him get through the lesson. He's up to 10 words a minute, up from 13 characters a minute (I counted one day!). This year he did parts of his spelling assignments in Microsoft Word, and he actually said that it made him happy to do his homework that way.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    100 words with 3 errors. I don't really count errors though, because of autocorrect. Plus, I was taught to leave 2 spaces after a period, and the program that tests only has one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    100 words with 3 errors. I don't really count errors though, because of autocorrect. Plus, I was taught to leave 2 spaces after a period, and the program that tests only has one.
    There's an option to have two spaces after the period.

vCash
    Which tests are you guy doing on the websites?

vCash
    24 on a good day. But I only use two fingers on each hand, so...
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    56 wpm 0 errors

vCash
    Did it! 1st time was HORRENDOUS, I didn't see that little box regarding 2 spaces after a period. When did it become customary to start using just one space? Anywhoo, I went back and checked the square, started over, and got 81 with 0 errors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Did it! 1st time was HORRENDOUS, I didn't see that little box regarding 2 spaces after a period. When did it become customary to start using just one space? Anywhoo, I went back and checked the square, started over, and got 81 with 0 errors.
    The two space after the period only happened when people used manual typewriters in the 20th century and the typeface was courier where every letter and punctuation mark and symbol occupied equal space. This created a sort of aesthetic choice for two spaces after the period. However, with modern word processing and different style fonts, we don't need two spaces after the period anymore. Think about it. When you type on this forum, do you use two spaces after the period? I think even if people use two spaces here, it automatically reverts it to one space. That sort of shows what the "norm" is.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html

The APA manual may still recommend two spaces after the period, but those usually only apply to drafts. For publication, one space after the period is standard.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 07-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I flunked typing in grade 9 cuz I thought the teacher was a bitch, and so now I'm the two finger, hunt and peck type of typer!
    I had the exact same experience! (But I dropped the class before I flunked.)

Re this test: I got 50 words with one error (hunting and pecking, of course!).
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Think about it. When you type on this forum, do you use two spaces after the period?
    Yep, but once I hit "post" all the sentences are changed to just one space after the period. Not sure why.

For my masters thesis and doctoral dissertation (both within this last decade), it was required to use two spaces after periods. So now it's just a force of habit for me, even in e-mails. (I do think it makes for easier reading.)
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Yep, but once I hit "post" all the sentences are changed to just one space after the period. Not sure why.

For my masters thesis and doctoral dissertation (both within this last decade), it was required to use two spaces after periods. So now it's just a force of habit for me, even in e-mails. (I do think it makes for easier reading.)
    I think people stick with what they were forced to learn. In college and graduate schools, we have certain habits hammered into our head and I think we end up learning to be loyal to those habits.

I know for many APA-style submissions, the person you're submitting it to would prefer two spaces after the period, but I think those get edited to one space after the period for publication purposes. For legal writing, we only use one space after the period. When we're learning how to write submissions to the court, we realize that there are stringent requirements about how many characters are allowed to fit in an inch, etc. I think that's because when our Bluebook is silent on something (like spacing after the period), we refer to the Chicago-style manual which says one space.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/a-ran...een-sentences/

I, for one, first learned to do two spaces when I was in high school, but was taught that it was no longer needed with modern word processing technology. With the bulk of my undergraduate writing using MLA style (even though I was a social science major), I just got used to using one space. I think that's where the norm is with the younger generation hence everything being automatically reverted to one space even if the poster on the forum types two spaces.

vCash
    I was taught to use 2 spaces in my high-school typing class (circa early 1990's). I just watched myself type up that sentence and I still use 2 spaces after the period. I never really noticed that it was changed to just 1 space after!

vCash
    I was taught 2 spaces after a period and 1 space after a comma or other punctuation.

I did better on the typingtest website, actually. I got 104wpm with no mistakes. I think I did better because I wasn't looking for mistakes. I wasn't looking at what I had typed, I was l was typing.

I learned to type well in grade 7. We all thought our computers teacher was an evil evil man. To make sure we were using the right keys, he made us put towels over our hands and tested our proficiency at typing without looking at the keyboard. And this was in the early-mid 90s, so not everyone was all that computer savvy at that time, so it was especially evil.

Now I love that he made us do that. I'm one of those people who can carry on a conversation while typing something else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast