Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diets! EEK!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I LOVE pickles. I can drink pickle juice out of the jar. Pickles have too much sodium for this diet, but I am planning on drowning myself in mushrooms and cukes with vinegar. Good thought.
    I used to make carrot pickles, and I don't believe those called for much salt. Or is the problem the fermentation process? Anyway, maybe you can browse here for inspiration (scroll down for the pickles).

I also make my own cucumber pickles (much better than store-bought!), but since I use a salt brine rather than vinegar, that will clearly not work for you...

vCash
    Mr Antmanb (a yorkshireman) makes "Yorkshire Salad" which is just cucumber thinly sliced, onions thinky sliced and drowned in vinegar - left of ra couple of hours and then eaten (with a traditional sunday roast weirdly enough!). I like the salad even though I'm not normally a fan of cucumber.

vCash
    My favorite coleslaw is the kind made with a boiled dressing of vinegar, sugar, and oil. You pour it hot over the cabbage, onions, and carrots and let it sit. So good. I suppose the sugar would have to be omitted for this diet but to me it's totally worth it.

vCash
    Ooh, that sounds awesome. Do you have a recipe? I hate mayo coleslaw but that sounds divine!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Mr Antmanb (a yorkshireman) makes "Yorkshire Salad" which is just cucumber thinly sliced, onions thinky sliced and drowned in vinegar - left of ra couple of hours and then eaten (with a traditional sunday roast weirdly enough!). I like the salad even though I'm not normally a fan of cucumber.
    Yep! Doing this. LOVE them. Got cooked mushrooms marinating in vinegar as well. Yumsters. Thanks for the thought!

vCash
    Yes I do, and it's easy.

Sweet and sour coleslaw
    Serves: 4-6
    1 small head cabbage, shredded
    1 small or 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
    1-2 carrots, julienned
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. celery seed or dill

Place cabbage, onions, and carrots in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, put in oil, sugar, vinegar, and all the seasonings. Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Once it's boiling, shut off the heat and pour over the cabbage mixture. Toss to combine. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
    It's a pretty old recipe from a tattered Southern Living cookbook.

vCash
    Hold the MSG: Gluten and MSG intolerance may be only in your head. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I found this article really interesting! (I love pasta and bread, and would not be able to go gluten free and still enjoy my food as much!)

vCash
    OK...5.5 weeks...15.5 pounds lost and 9.75" off bust/hips/waist combined. I'm learning to deal with this. Even had a glass of wine today. Feel fine. Hmm. Maybe I can do this after all.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Getting my hair colored yesterday I ran across this Marie Claire article from May, about juice cleanses: http://www.marieclaire.com/health-fi...s-dirty-secret. They are implicated in eating disorders -- and the weight rarely stays off anyway. Not recommended.

I'm fighting the same six or seven pounds I've been fighting for the last three years. Obviously it's not a health issue, just an appearance one, but nothing works for me like writing down (inputting) everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I don't eat a lot at a meal, and I can be in a house with a pile of junk food and only nibble away at it, but I will snack all day if I'm not aware of what I'm eating.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I had to lose 30 pounds for my operation and the first twenty I did very slowly, about 2 pounds a week primarily using myfitness pal and being accountable.. but the last ten pounds was after I got back from a month in europe so had to lose it quick.. did the military diet on Tues, Weds, Thurs.. then my regular pre surgery diet the other days.. lost the final ten pounds over two week.. I think the military diet is a stupid diet but it really does work in fact my brother has lost thirty pounds on it over the past two months just doing it during the week.. my issue now is I MUST keep the weight off but can't exercise yet so will go back to my old standby of myfitness pal and eat six small meals a day - heavy on the protein and veg and light on the carbs.. works for me.. Some yummy low carb snacks include: roasted Kale chips and portabello mushroom pizza's in the oven.. lettuce wrap ham sandwiches heavy on the english mustard.. yumm..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I've heard a lot about the Military Diet. I know quite a few who have done it successfully. I really don't know a lot about it. My diet is also big on protein and veggies and few starches. Some fruit and some dairy. Pretty balanced, actually, but it seems to be working.

PRLady...I hear you. I think it's just metabolism. You get to a point in life and your body wants to weigh a certain amount no matter what you do. 7 pounds doesn't sound too bad though! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I am excited-I have gone down a size. Back to a 12. I was never in plus sizes, but I'm not tall and I have small bones, so...I still have a ways to go.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I've heard a lot about the Military Diet. I know quite a few who have done it successfully. I really don't know a lot about it. My diet is also big on protein and veggies and few starches. Some fruit and some dairy. Pretty balanced, actually, but it seems to be working.

PRLady...I hear you. I think it's just metabolism. You get to a point in life and your body wants to weigh a certain amount no matter what you do. 7 pounds doesn't sound too bad though! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I am excited-I have gone down a size. Back to a 12. I was never in plus sizes, but I'm not tall and I have small bones, so...I still have a ways to go.
    I think I cared less before I had breast reduction. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm pear-shaped! (There's a downside to everything.) In order to get the bottom half to match the smaller top half, I have to lose that weight. Because every single pounds goes to the middle and nowhere else. If it spread itself out, I could live with it.

Fortunately things are speeding up at work. I lose weight under stress, my metabolism goes adrenaline-junkie and I burn more calories. That might not be healthy but at least it's a useful byproduct.*

* This is the first time the Israeli-Palestinian peace process can be credited for weight loss. I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    * This is the first time the Israeli-Palestinian peace process can be credited for weight loss. I think.
    The cynic (realist?) in me wonders if this will be the biggest positive effect of the current round of the peace process. But I'll try to be cautiously optimistic.

I don't understand how people can stick to low-carb diets. I would be impossible to deal with if someone took away my carbs.

vCash
    Zemgirl, there are many diets and every individual body is different. Some people lose weight on carbs. I gain weight on carbs. I lose weight with protein, which I love anyway. Is it possible that what we like to eat is actually the best thing for us? Well...within certain parameters.

PRLady, I hear you about the boobs. That's the first place I lose-my face and my boobs. My bras are loose (yay!) and I'm not top heavy anymore, but when taking my measurements, it's my chest and waist losing it all. WHY IS THIS? WHY CAN'T I GET SOME OFF MY BUTT?

As for stress, I have Nutcracker auditions coming up within the month, plus back-to-school at the ole ballet company, so I figure 200+ tweens, teens and their moms angsting over dancing roles should up my anxiety level very nicely. Some have Palestinians and Israelis. I have stage moms.

vCash
    Zemgirl, there are many diets and every individual body is different. Some people lose weight on carbs. I gain weight on carbs. I lose weight with protein, which I love anyway. Is it possible that what we like to eat is actually the best thing for us? Well...within certain parameters.
    Oh, I gain weight from eating carbs too, so they're something to be consumed in moderation. But low carb diets pretty much cut them out completely *shudders*. I have a friend who's a weightlifter and she goes through times where she counts fresh veggies as carbs and otherwise eats protein only - that is really not for me.

I tend to crave fresh fruit and vegetables, so I guess my body does know what's good for it

vCash
    I am currently on the Ideal Protein diet-- I am working with my doctor and a coach in tandem. I've lost 31 lbs in 7 weeks, but I was kind of doing it half-heartedly the last two weeks because I was opening a show. I've been fully vested back into it for three days now, and I am excited to see what my weight will be next Thursday when I weigh in again. It's not a difficult plan (truly), but it is expensive. I have 43 lbs to go before I hit my goal, which I am expecting to do by November 1. I've finally been cleared to lift weights (you can't work out for the first several weeks, and are not supposed to push the heart rate because you're not eating enough calories)!!! I find that when I am really hungry, I listen to my coach to drink water, and I've been fine. When I get unbearably hungry, I eat another protein food on the plan. So far so good!!!
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash

PRLady, I hear you about the boobs. That's the first place I lose-my face and my boobs. My bras are loose (yay!) and I'm not top heavy anymore, but when taking my measurements, it's my chest and waist losing it all. WHY IS THIS? WHY CAN'T I GET SOME OFF MY BUTT?
    I'm just the opposite. I don't gain weight in my butt or hips. I gain/lose it in my belly and boobs. I could gain 20 pounds and still have no butt or hips, I hate it! I would love a few pounds on my hips!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Some have Palestinians and Israelis. I have stage moms.
    I think I will stick to the Middle East. I've seen a few episodes of Dance Moms.

vCash
    Well, my Dance Moms aren't nearly as bad as I've heard the show is...BUT...lots of angst and crying and being unhappy. Surely that is worth a pound or two.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I think I cared less before I had breast reduction. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm pear-shaped! (There's a downside to everything.) In order to get the bottom half to match the smaller top half, I have to lose that weight. Because every single pounds goes to the middle and nowhere else. If it spread itself out, I could live with it.
    I should be the last person chiming in on a diet thread, but I have to ask......why not just get separates? Or is it mostly an appearance thing?

Because of my weightlifting, my bottom half is now a good size bigger than my top half. (Which doesn't sound that bad, but I have a wide ribcage - my arms are probably 2 sizes smaller than the next smallest part of me!) Finding dresses that can accommodate my hips and butt means there will be huge gaps where the chest and sleeves are. I've relegated myself to looking like Chun Li, if I want to continue weightlifting, and of course I do. And buying separates.

Fortunately things are speeding up at work. I lose weight under stress, my metabolism goes adrenaline-junkie and I burn more calories. That might not be healthy but at least it's a useful byproduct.*

I think I will stick to the Middle East. I've seen a few episodes of Dance Moms.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I'm just the opposite. I don't gain weight in my butt or hips. I gain/lose it in my belly and boobs. I could gain 20 pounds and still have no butt or hips, I hate it! I would love a few pounds on my hips!
    I could gain 20 lbs and my arms would still be sticks and I would still be flat. It all goes on my thighs and butt. It's hilarious how different our bodies can be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast