Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70

Thread: Diets! EEK!

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,902
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    5683
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I really agree with this. I wasn't trying to lose that much weight, so I was okay on my own, but often it really is best to work with a professional to figure out what diet - short-term and long-term - is the best fit for your body and your needs.

    Also, exercise: not only does it burn calories, every minute you are working out is a minute in which you are not sitting and snacking. And like the diet, it's all about finding the right kind for you (this, um, took me a while ).

    One common suggestion that has never worked for me is to a eat a good breakfast. I eventually came to realize that what I eat for breakfast has no effect on what I eat the rest of the day, so I might as well save myself the calories and have a breakfast snack and not a proper meal. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning anyway.
    This a thousand times over! "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" Except I'm not hungry first thing in the morning ever unless I've had an unusually large work out the day before and not eaten enough to fuel it. Given that I am not hungry and don't snack on anything until lunch time, what's wrong with that? Many "experts" say I should force food down for breakfast because it is SO. IMPORTANT. The professionals just said - if you're not hungry don't eat!

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I know not every diet works for each person.
    Diets don't work in general and are a fundamentally flawed and counter-productive concept. Either change your lifestyle so that you eat more healthily in general and include some kind of exercise or don't bother. By dieting you only create 'forbidden fruit' mentality, if your diet explicitly forbids certain things, this will only stimulate your imagination. There is nothing wrong with eating some junk food every now and then as long as you burn that off (and that doesn't have to mean going to the gym that nobody can be bothered with, simple things like vacuiming or taking the stairs instead of the lift can do. Another thing with diets, when you go back to your previous habits, you're going to re-gain the lost weight again.

    Rapid weight loss is unhealthy. Pretty much all of the fad diets (with the exceptions of a few like South Beach) are not good for you. You're depriving your body of what it needs, starving yourself, which makes you more liable to get cravings and to regain weight afterwards (as your body can switch to starvation mode, making your metabolism slow down). A good example of this is the anti-fat approach of most diets. Most people don't seem to realise that you need fat in order to digest food properly. Pretty much every single meal should include liquid, plant oils. And then you have the recently popular low carb diets, which are extremely dangerous because in the long-term they end up weakening your bones. Instead of looking for diets, I'd just look at the food pyramid, which is an accepted standard in nutrition science and plan meals based on it. I can find it anywhere online so going to copy it from my Health Psychology lecture slides:

    - most meals should include plant oils and whole grain foods.
    - vegetables in abundance, fruit 2-3 times a day
    - nuts and legumes 1-3 times a day
    - fish, poultry, eggs 0-2 times a day
    - dairy or calcium supplement 1-2 times a day
    - everything else should be used sparingly

    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Doesn't the process of chewing your food "encourage" your stomach to produce acid which then aides the metabolism?
    You should chew your food because your stomach doesn't have any teeth. So the more you chew, the easier it will be digested. Also, digestion starts in your mouth. By chewing, you are producing more saliva, which mixes with the food and starts digesting it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Also, exercise: not only does it burn calories, every minute you are working out is a minute in which you are not sitting and snacking.
    Far more importantly, it keeps your metabolism going. If you don't have any exercise, the excess blood sugar gets converted into fat. If you have some kind of exercise throughout the day, you prevent that from happening. It doesn't have to be anything major. A short walk after dinner can make a big difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    This a thousand times over! "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" Except I'm not hungry first thing in the morning ever unless I've had an unusually large work out the day before and not eaten enough to fuel it. Given that I am not hungry and don't snack on anything until lunch time, what's wrong with that? Many "experts" say I should force food down for breakfast because it is SO. IMPORTANT. The professionals just said - if you're not hungry don't eat!
    If you don't eat regular meals, your body sugar level drops down and your body eventually goes into starvation mode, slowing down your metabolism. This makes you more liable to get cravings and when you do eventually eat, it is going to get converted into fat very quickly.

    So even if you aren't hungry in the morning, I would suggest to eat a little bit, just to keep your metabolism going. A piece of fruit will do.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 07-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,902
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    5683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    If you don't eat regular meals, your body sugar level drops down and your body eventually goes into starvation mode, slowing down your metabolism. This makes you more liable to get cravings and when you do eventually eat, it is going to get converted into fat very quickly.

    So even if you aren't hungry in the morning, I would suggest to eat a little bit, just to keep your metabolism going. A piece of fruit will do.
    In general - this might be true for a number of people, it might even be true for the majority of people. It is not true for me. This is why I cannot emphasise enough, that general advice on nutrition, diet and exercise, is all good and well but is no substitute for proper indivusalised advice and plans.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    In general - this might be true for a number of people, it might even be true for the majority of people. It is not true for me. This is why I cannot emphasise enough, that general advice on nutrition, diet and exercise, is all good and well but is no substitute for proper indivusalised advice and plans.
    Lack of blood sugar gets detected and the brain sends a signal to the body to start storing fat, so metabolism slows down. I fail to see how this very basic mechanism could not be true for you.

    I mean everybody is different, some neural pathways could not be working correctly but even if that's the case it's not something we are able to diagnose individually.

    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    The professionals just said - if you're not hungry don't eat!
    Who said that? It's definitely not true. Smoking is an appetite suppressant. So is stress. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat regularly.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,902
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    5683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Lack of blood sugar gets detected and the brain sends a signal to the body to start storing fat, so metabolism slows down. I fail to see how this very basic mechanism could not be true for you.
    Because that is not true, at least in the simplistic form you have stated it is not true and it's certainly not true for everyone. It is not that black and white, and the body doesn't make adaptations in an instant or like a switch is flipped. Adaptations in the body do not happen instantly or at the same rate in every single person. "Starvation mode" is not this black and white, on or off state that every single body enters in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

    There have been loads of studies that show the effect of periodised fasting during a 24 hour period (not eating for blocks of X hours at a time, but never going beyond 20-24 hours) and the effect it has on the body and on different bodies. The only true way to test this for an individual is to have them experiment with this for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I mean everybody is different, some neural pathways could not be working correctly but even if that's the case it's not something we are able to diagnose individually.
    Indeed, but not eating breakfast does not cause me to store fat, that's the only fact that matters to me as an individual.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Who said that? It's definitely not true. Smoking is an appetite suppressant. So is stress. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat regularly.
    Nutritionists, personal trainers and doctors. I don't smoke and I'm not stressed. Not being hungry first thing in the morning is nothing new, I've always been that way my entire life since I was baby apparently (more information that i can provide to professionals who can also respond to this information). When you get proper individual advice for your own circumstances you can assess for yourself which parts of the generalist advice out there may or may not apply to you. Which is why the only point i'm making is that if you truly want to help yourself lose weight and maintain it, individual plans and assessments are the best way to go since generalist advice is just that and may not apply to you in the same way as it applies to anyone (or even everyone) else.
    Last edited by antmanb; 07-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,096
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Anyone have any cool recipes for tomatoes, mushrooms, zuchinni, yellow squash, or green beans that doesn't have sugar or dairy, let me know! Not in combination...those are just the only veggies I can stand that are on the diet. Unfortunately, corn and butterbeans are not on it. Half a baked potato three times a week is, however, and so is a small serving of rice.
    I actuallylike vegetables. I'm thinking of trying a slightly modified version of the paleo diet -- mostly because I want to try cutting out all grains, but also because it allows lots of vegetables and fruit. The real problem I have with a diet heavy on vegetables is that that they don't always make for quick and convenient meals and I tend not to want hot food in the summer, which eliminates some options for me.

    Mushrooms seem like a great option on a diet to lose weight because they are filling. Plus, I really like them and even like them cold. Try adding them to scramble eggs. Also, tried grilled portabello mushrooms. IMO, they're a great substitute for burgers. Also, consider including mushrooms in salads. You can add sliced musthrooms to a tossed salad. Also, you can roast or grill mushrooms, squash, and zuchhini and use them as a hot side dish or let them cool for a roasted veggie salad. You also can use marinated mushrooms to make a salad with cherry tomatoes. Just choose your favorite vinaigrette. If you like olives, artichoke hearts, or avocado and your diet allows them, throw those in as well to make the salad a little more filling.

    Also, count me as someone who usually isn't interested in eating first thing in the morning. We're all different, and what is right for one person isn't necessarily right for another person. (IMO, the best doctors also realize that and don't give every patient the exact same advice about diet.)

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Anyone have any cool recipes for tomatoes, mushrooms, zuchinni, yellow squash, or green beans that doesn't have sugar or dairy, let me know! Not in combination...those are just the only veggies I can stand that are on the diet. Unfortunately, corn and butterbeans are not on it. Half a baked potato three times a week is, however, and so is a small serving of rice.
    Beans and zucchini can be sauteed in olive oil (I'd blanch the beans first), that's really delicious. Throw in broccoli too, if that's allowed. You can also just toss pretty much everything you've listed in a bit of olive oil and herbs and roast it.

    Is barley allowed? Mushroom-barley soup might be a good option, if so. Soups in general can be made to fit whatever restrictions are part of one's diet. Just turn on the AC if it's too hot for soup

    I live for carbs, so that's pretty much the best I can do...

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,020
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Those popular little white mushrooms at the super market? They're amazing roasted. Sometimes I'll buy a little carton of them, wash and prepare them, and then put them in a small baking dish with a little bit of olive oil and some salt and roast them for 30 min or so. They're amazing, I'll eat them like candy.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,858
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Anyone have any cool recipes for tomatoes, mushrooms, zuchinni, yellow squash, or green beans that doesn't have sugar or dairy, let me know! Not in combination...those are just the only veggies I can stand that are on the diet. Unfortunately, corn and butterbeans are not on it. Half a baked potato three times a week is, however, and so is a small serving of rice.
    Are you allowed olive oil? If so, sauté some onion & garlic, then add diced tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans. A pinch of salt and pepper. If allowed a pinch of grated Romano cheese on top

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1994
    Well, you guys have such great suggestions! I can't have olive oil or any cheese, except occasional cottage cheese, but everything sounds great! I do absolutely adore mushrooms, and I am in danger of turning into one because I've been eating so many of them. I love sour stuff, too, so I've been pouring lemon juice all over everything. Cooked mushrooms and vinegar with chopped garlic-I could eat every day! I am using spray Pam instead of oils. Normally, I'm an olive oil fiend.....But thanks everybody! Lots of you I've tried to give rep to but they say I have to wait because evidently I give you rep a lot...

  11. #31
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,861
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22794
    i make french fries out of zucchini pretty regularly. just slice them into whatever shape you like your fries, season however, ive been using old bay, and bake.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    Well, you guys have such great suggestions! I can't have olive oil or any cheese, except occasional cottage cheese, but everything sounds great! I do absolutely adore mushrooms, and I am in danger of turning into one because I've been eating so many of them. I love sour stuff, too, so I've been pouring lemon juice all over everything. Cooked mushrooms and vinegar with chopped garlic-I could eat every day! I am using spray Pam instead of oils. Normally, I'm an olive oil fiend.....But thanks everybody! Lots of you I've tried to give rep to but they say I have to wait because evidently I give you rep a lot...
    I understand now why you wrote that you're not hungry, but you are bored. It sounds quite limiting - but I guess that's just for the first phase? I wish I could help more with recipes but it's so unlike how I eat (sort of vegetarian-Mediterranean) that I am really at a loss. Maybe you can have roasted veggies with some balsamic? Would that work? And of course, salads in all shapes and forms (I love salads).

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,020
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    I love tomatoes sliced up in a cup with balsamic vinegar.

    But I really love balsamic vinegar

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I love tomatoes sliced up in a cup with balsamic vinegar.

    But I really love balsamic vinegar
    I do that sometimes when I run out of fresh mozzarella for caprese salad and have a bunch of tomatoes to use up. Cut up tomatoes, sprinkle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Very delicious. You could easily omit the olive oil and not notice.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1994
    I could drink vinegar right from the bottle, and yes-I can have it! I am playing with tomatoes and mushrooms and vinegar. I ate a bunch of sliced cukes with lemon juice the other day and didn't gag...not a joke. Sometimes my gag reflex happens with any green thing. I went to a wedding this weekend in another state and actually stayed on the diet the whole weekend...so...And thanks My Little Pony for the zuke fries. That sounds awesome! I'll try those tomorrow. I can mix up a batch of Cajun spice without the salt. Thanks!!!

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,020
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Thinly sliced cucumbers in rice vinegar are amazing

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    The Porny Old Ladies' Home
    Posts
    5,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16576
    As a blood bank technologist, I can assure you that the blood type diet is complete nonsense.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Count me in as someone who does not believe in diets but in the "lifestyle change" concept. I was told a year ago that I was teetering on the edge of type II diabetes. It scared the shit out of me, and was the kick in the ass I needed to start making some drastic changes. Since then I've dropped 80 pounds, just by eating smarter and getting regular exercise. I need to drop more, but I'm proud of myself for getting this far. I have substantially decreased the amount of starches I eat, but I don't omit them entirely. I just learned to start making better choices. And if I want to splurge, I do, then I work it off later. I can't even imagine going back to the way I used to eat. I don't even like the crap I used to shove in my face anymore.
    And something I like to do sometimes is make a sort of hash with a little bit of potato, chicken or chicken sausage, and a ton of spinach. Pretty tasty and filling.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I could drink vinegar right from the bottle, and yes-I can have it! I am playing with tomatoes and mushrooms and vinegar. I ate a bunch of sliced cukes with lemon juice the other day and didn't gag...not a joke. Sometimes my gag reflex happens with any green thing. I went to a wedding this weekend in another state and actually stayed on the diet the whole weekend...so...And thanks My Little Pony for the zuke fries. That sounds awesome! I'll try those tomorrow. I can mix up a batch of Cajun spice without the salt. Thanks!!!
    Try a Middle Eastern style chopped vegetable salad - this would be called either Israeli salad or Arab(ic) salad, depending on who's doing the writing... You can play around with the vegetables and just skip the olive oil, it'll be okay without it. If you can get zaatar, that's a good addition to such salads in place of some of the oil.

    Do you do any pickling? For someone who likes tart and vinegary things, it might be a good idea

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1994
    I LOVE pickles. I can drink pickle juice out of the jar. Pickles have too much sodium for this diet, but I am planning on drowning myself in mushrooms and cukes with vinegar. Good thought.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •