Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diets! EEK!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash

Diets! EEK!

OK, I launched onto a new diet about 2.5 weeks ago. I joined the Quick Weight Loss Center program because I know some people who did it and actually lost weight and kept it off.

I know not every diet works for each person. I was told yesterday by someone (who WAS that??) that since I have type O Positive blood, I don't do well on vegan diets. Well, yeah. I've experienced that.

This diet is much like the South Beach and Neaderthal diet. Lots of lean meat, veggies, fruit, and few starches. I have a list of approved food and amounts of food. At first I didn't know I needed to eat so much-as much as they said. I thought that was a "no more than 7 oz fish" but no, it means you have to eat 7 oz. I haven't been eating enough. It's a 1,200 calorie a day diet which isn't extreme.

The pros: I've lost 10 pounds in 2.5 weeks and 8.5 inches. I have not been hungry, though I have been bored. The supplemental smoothies and protein bars I am required to eat between meals are absolutely delicious and replace the need for sweets. I'm taking vitamins and their prescribed herbal and omega 3-6-9 pills. I'm drinking tons of water. It seems to be extremely healthy, but what's important to me is fast yet safe. Staff is super nice.

The cons: It's expensive. The year-round contract does include three phases: getting the weight off, 6 weeks of stabilization where you bring back other foods, and the rest of the year where you can start over if you backslide, lose more, or just maintain by visiting them and getting their help. All the vitamins and suppliments cost not a lot but it adds up. Worst of all - no wine. I've been 2.5 weeks without any alcohol, but I really haven't missed it after about the first 3 days.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks....this seems to be working, though it's slowed a bit. Any thoughts?

vCash
    What is the main expense on the plan? A fee you pay? I am a firm believer in South Beach style diets based on the glycemic index / carbs - so it sounds like this is similar. You could take the premises they teach you and do it on your own, no?
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Holley - boredom is one of the reasons diets don't tend to work - you can't maintain it if you don't enjoy it. Are you doing anything to address the reasons you need/ want a programme to lose weight, as in the reason you are overweight in the first place? Are exercise/non-food based things part of the programme?

I'm not a fan if quick weight loss - I think it takes time to address all of the issues and build healthy habits that will actually be able to be enjoyed and maintained. I'm also not a fan of food (chewable food) substitutes like smoothies.

ETA: You can't know if someone has kept it off until years down the track IMO. Keeping weight off for two years is great, but many often do put the weight back on. Or they put the reasons they were eating into something else, which never addresses the original issue/s.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 07-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for your input, guys. For one thing, I am easily bored, so I don't know if boredom is intrinsic to this particular diet. I love to cook, I love spicy food and hate eating leftovers, so I might not should use the boredom factor in all fairness...

Although it is "quick weight loss..." it isn't as quick as it sounds. 3 pounds a week. Yes, exercise is encouraged, and I am walking again. The smoothies are optional and I am taking advantage of them because they have a chocolate one which is kind of like a treat...they are in no way meal substitutes. All the food is from the grocery. It's just very low fat, no sugar, few starches, and low sodium. I can't find anything about it that I would consider unhealthy. There are many food choices on the approved list...my biggest problem is with vegetables. You're supposed to eat 4 cups of fresh or 2 cups of cooked per day (along with 3 fruit servings.) I just don't like raw vegetables-they make me choke. I can't eat green leafies-I gag and my throat swells up. (It runs in my family.) You also are required to eat lean meat or other protein in larger amounts than I am used to. I'm eating MORE than I normally do.

I'm not really complaining. The reason I'm overweight to begin with is totally my own neglect-I DON'T eat regularly and my metabolism is a mess, so this is really getting me to eat breakfast and at regular, healthy intervals. Plus I drank wine every night. I've quit that! I'm not terribly overweight-no plus sizes-I'm about a size 12 and 5'4". I'd call myself chubby-I've had a few people ask me why I wanted to lose weight - to me it's obvious!

Guess I'm just looking for a discussion on dieting in general. More I can learn...etc.

vCash
    Holley have you spoken to a doctor or dietician about your metabolism? Do you have any food sensitivities?

If you make the raw vegetables into a juice, is that allowed? Could you drink it?
    Last edited by Angelskates; 07-05-2013 at 03:49 AM.

vCash
    Although it is "quick weight loss..." it isn't as quick as it sounds. 3 pounds a week.
    I think that's really fast. For me it would be way too fast. I agree with pretty much everything Angelskates said.

I'm not sure I'm a great example, but I decided long ago that it would be better for me to learn to eat like a "normal" person before I worked on actually losing weight. So often we hear about someone who has lost a lot of weight and then cannot maintain it. I think maintaining is the more difficult skill. I have spent most of my life being fat. I finally stopped all the diets and started working on maintaining. My goal is always 1 pound. I exercise 6 days a week (a good walk) and I work on getting enough sleep and eating a good balance of foods. As of this summer I have succeeded in losing 40 pounds in 10 years. That's an average of 4 pounds a year. The thing that's best for me is that I know this weight is really off. I'm not on a roller coaster. I'm still overweight (fat) but I feel good. Every time I lose 1 pound I can feel the difference - something gets better; hips, back, feet; something. If I can keep on the same track - and I think I can - I think I can have a long and healthy life.

Best of luck with your efforts. This is a life long process - one thing learned at a time. Keep trying.

vCash
    Doesn't the process of chewing your food "encourage" your stomach to produce acid which then aides the metabolism? In that case, drinking smoothies wouldn't be a good solution if the metabolism is all over the place, would it?

And aren't smoothies and protein bars sweets anyway? And contain a lot of calories and fruit sugar which is why athletes eat protein bars as a snack?

vCash
    I sometimes get the throat swell thing with spinach but I can do Swiss chard and kale with no problem. Vegetables are hard because they take some cooking skill to make tasty. Roasting helps - I roast eggplant , green beans, Brussels sprouts and broccoli. Maybe search for some good recipes. Cooking style really helps with veggies.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    The key to losing weight and keeping it off is finding a diet that not only works but that you're willing to stick to for basically the rest of your life. I can't remember the exact statistic, but over 90% of people who lose a lot of weight gain it all back within 5 years. I remember it being like 96% but I don't want to say that and be wrong. It was in the 90s though. 5 years is the mark, and that's a lot of time to stick to something, especially if you're not enjoying it.

vCash
    These are not the smoothies and protein bars like you get in the store. They're specially made-no sugar and definitely not meant as desserts, but they taste pretty good!

I believe if I got into the stabilization phase of this diet and could add some other healthy foods that are not on the losing weight phase of this diet, I'd be ok with it. I've made a commitment not to just lose weight, but to "change forever." It just takes more work to lose the weight, but not gaining it back is something I feel confident I can do. It would be silly to do all this work and then go back to my wicked ways!

Anyone have any cool recipes for tomatoes, mushrooms, zuchinni, yellow squash, or green beans that doesn't have sugar or dairy, let me know! Not in combination...those are just the only veggies I can stand that are on the diet. Unfortunately, corn and butterbeans are not on it. Half a baked potato three times a week is, however, and so is a small serving of rice.

vCash
    What about stuffed tomatoes, zucchinis or mushrooms?

Also, fruit etc all have sugar in them...I can see giving up added (white, refined) sugar, but be careful of some of the substitutes - it's better to have natural than chemical. Also, are you giving up dairy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I think that's really fast. For me it would be way too fast. I agree with pretty much everything Angelskates said.
    I don't think 3 pounds a week is fast. I started dieting last summer, and have been watching my weight regularly ever since. If I spend the weekend eating crap food and drinking alcohol, I can fluctuate 3 pounds like nothing just due to water weight. I lost about 20 lbs in four months last year, essentially just counting calories, and have kept it off other than a 5lb fluctuation here and there. For me, the trick was being accountable (I used a food tracking app), and weighing myself consistently. I know that your weight is only part of the health story, but for me, it's the most easily measurable mark of improvement. And I'm realistic -- I don't panic if there's a slight shift. Until I hit my goal weight, I was weighing myself every day. Now, it's maybe once a week just to stay on track.

I also found that the weight came off fast at first, when I started drinking tons of water and replacing a lot of foods in my diet with vegetables, and that it came off much slower towards the end when I was just working on the last few pounds. As far as I understand, that's normal since you're often making the most drastic change at the start.

vCash
    I'm on a green veggie juice cleanse. I just completed day 7. No food for 7 days!! I haven't been trying to lose any weight though, but I lost 10 lbs the first 3 days. I'm doing it for other reasons but they're said to be amazing for everyone!

vCash
    I've made spinach smoothies before and they are delicious. It's basically a metric ass ton of baby spinach and some frozen fruit. I like to flavor with fresh mint. I add oat bran sometimes, I've also heard adding wheat germ is good. No sugar added, not even a sweetener like stevia.

It's a great way to get a lot of spinach without choking down yet another spinach salad (I love spinach but salads get old).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I know not every diet works for each person. I was told yesterday by someone (who WAS that??) that since I have type O Positive blood, I don't do well on vegan diets. Well, yeah. I've experienced that.
    Sounds like the Eat Right 4 Your Type Diet,I've used that one several times and it does seem to work but it takes a little bit of time to show results but they are longer lasting. I personally just practice portion control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I have O positive blood and I'm a vegetarian bordering on vegan, so I can't imagine any of the high protein/low carb diets would ever work for me. Maybe others would find them better, though. FWIW, I think food culture also comes into play in terms of what people feel comfortable eating on a regular basis in order to lose weight.

I realized last summer I'd gotten to heavy for my liking, so I cut down on carbs, sugar, sweetened drinks and fat - I didn't give up any of these things (except for sugared drinks), just limited my consumption of them, and also stopped eating past a certain hour and started exercising more. It took me a while, but I did lose the weight I wanted and never really felt deprived of any of the things I liked (I continued to eat my daily chocolate, just less of it ). My approach was, it took me several years to get to the weight I started at so it would take a bit of time to lose it, too.

If you find something that works for you, maybe it's best just to stick to it - if it's an expensive plan, maybe you can just do a DIY version?

vCash
    That's why I liked Weight Watchers best, and it was the only truly successful diet for me - it teaches portion control. I could still drink (a little) Pepsi and have (a small amount) of ice cream.

Counting gets old, though, especially when you're not able to find out calories. I ended up eating a lot of Lean Cuisines. It really, really worked, though, and had I not gotten a fairly serious disease 6 months after starting, I'm sure I would have kept with it.

My problem now is that my appetite is bigger than it should be. My mind keeps telling me eat, eat, eat, and it's just not something I can fight 24/7. One of the nice things about the disease I had was that it really killed my appetite. I used to open my fridge, go "meh", and close it. A friend recommended irvingia gabonensis as a natural appetite suppressant, I might give it a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    What about stuffed tomatoes, zucchinis or mushrooms?

Also, fruit etc all have sugar in them...I can see giving up added (white, refined) sugar, but be careful of some of the substitutes - it's better to have natural than chemical. Also, are you giving up dairy?
    No. I have skim milk and cottage cheese I can eat regularly. Cottage cheese not every day, but I can use it as a protein and eat 7 oz at one time. That's a lot! As I have a slight lactose intolerance, this is really good for me because I adore cheese. I used to get upset tummy pretty often-nothing serious or worthy of a doctor trip-but since I started this diet, my digestive system has been great.

And we have lots of fruit, just not bananas, pears, and mangoes. Never met a fruit I didn't like. I get 3 packs of Splenda a day. The idea is to put as little sugar and starch in your system as possible in order to burn protein. Thanks for all your suggestions! I think they limit Splenda to keep you from craving sweets, which I don't too much. Sodium is my nemesis.

vCash
    So far the thing I've found out about diets is that everyone is an expert and publishes their results as THE. NEXT. BEST. THING. There are a number of general rules that people seem to agree on and then after that every diet and plan that tries to stand out from the crowd has its own gimic or catch, and it may or may not work for you as an individual.

If you are serious about losing and maitaining weight I cannot recommend enough hiring professionals to work with you one to one, to run tests, to work out how your body ticks, to experiment with different ways of eating and seeing how your body responds and getting the professionals to work out a plan for the individual you, rather than the generalised stuff that's pushed in faddy plans and diets. You can happen upon things that work, and you can even read the science behind people's ideas for these diets, but unless your body works in the same way as the people who were tested on these specific diets then there's no guarantee they will work for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    If you are serious about losing and maitaining weight I cannot recommend enough hiring professionals to work with you one to one, to run tests, to work out how your body ticks, to experiment with different ways of eating and seeing how your body responds and getting the professionals to work out a plan for the individual you, rather than the generalised stuff that's pushed in faddy plans and diets. You can happen upon things that work, and you can even read the science behind people's ideas for these diets, but unless your body works in the same way as the people who were tested on these specific diets then there's no guarantee they will work for you.
    I really agree with this. I wasn't trying to lose that much weight, so I was okay on my own, but often it really is best to work with a professional to figure out what diet - short-term and long-term - is the best fit for your body and your needs.

Also, exercise: not only does it burn calories, every minute you are working out is a minute in which you are not sitting and snacking. And like the diet, it's all about finding the right kind for you (this, um, took me a while ).

One common suggestion that has never worked for me is to a eat a good breakfast. I eventually came to realize that what I eat for breakfast has no effect on what I eat the rest of the day, so I might as well save myself the calories and have a breakfast snack and not a proper meal. I'm usually not that hungry in the morning anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast