View Poll Results: Who has performed the greatest triple lutz in competition?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

9 4.89%
  • Tonya Harding

49 26.63%
  • Nancy Kerrigan

1 0.54%
  • Victoria Volchkova

11 5.98%
  • Julia Sebestyen

14 7.61%
  • Irina Slutskaya

16 8.70%
  • Tanja Szewczenko

2 1.09%
  • Yu Na Kim

59 32.07%
  • Miki Ando

4 2.17%
  • Gracie Gold

8 4.35%
  • Agnes Zawadski

3 1.63%
  • Other

8 4.35%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    I also don't think Volchkova had enough flow out of it to be considered one of the great of all time lutzes.

See an example of what she typically did on her lutz below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tgFhKtB4#t=90s

Big, but poor flow out of it; she had to turn right after.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think Baiul deserves a mention. I know she never seemed to really master it, often two footing when she did land it but when it was on it was a beauty. She had so much speed and attack going into it and her height was ridiculous. She also had a deep outside edge. There was one that she did for a Disney special and it was one of the best I had ever seen. I wish I could find it. I think it was a Disney special staring Michelle Kwan and may have been when she was doing her Mulan number.

I also don't see the issue with people voting for Gold. The poll asks who had the best 3lutz. It isn't about who had the most consistent or who landed the 3lutz for the longest time. Theoretically, someone could win this poll who had only competed once...if their 3lutz was just that good.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Elizabeth Manley had a beautiful 3Lz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think Baiul deserves a mention. I know she never seemed to really master it, often two footing when she did land it but when it was on it was a beauty. She had so much speed and attack going into it and her height was ridiculous. She also had a deep outside edge. There was one that she did for a Disney special and it was one of the best I had ever seen. I wish I could find it. I think it was a Disney special staring Michelle Kwan and may have been when she was doing her Mulan number.

I also don't see the issue with people voting for Gold. The poll asks who had the best 3lutz. It isn't about who had the most consistent or who landed the 3lutz for the longest time. Theoretically, someone could win this poll who had only competed once...if their 3lutz was just that good.
    I agree. Oksana Baiul's Lutz was textbook.

vCash
    The best triple lutz in the LP of the 94 Olympics was a toss up between Baiul and Harding. Nobody else all night long even came close. Kerrigan had a great triple lutz combo in the short when she did it, but in the long her triple lutzes were never as great, often smaller and with less quality, when she even landed it that is. While I still disagree with the 94 Olympics result I also think that is one of several things that swayed the judges in Oksana's favor over Nancy. Her triple lutz that night was much bigger with a better running edge out, and Nancy's almost even looked two footed (although it wasnt).

vCash
    Baiul did have an amazing lutz! I also think Chen Lu and her delayed-rotation lutz deserve mention as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Her triple lutz that night was much bigger with a better running edge out, and Nancy's almost even looked two footed (although it wasnt).
    Many still say that Oksana two-footed the 3toe thrown in near the end of her program. I always thought Nancy's 3lutz looked more two-footed than Oksana's 3toe.

vCash
    I like Rochette's and Shizuka's from recent times

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Many still say that Oksana two-footed the 3toe thrown in near the end of her program. I always thought Nancy's 3lutz looked more two-footed than Oksana's 3toe.
    Slo-mo says that Kerrigan landed the lutz cleanly.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    weird that Slutskaya and Yebin Mok are not on the list...

I voted Volchkova.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Nancy had her foot crossed really low, but it was not 2-footed on slo-mo (at least to my eyes).
    I don't know about Baiul's 3T. But for sure, her 3F was clearly 2-footed, Hahahaaaa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Slo-mo says that Kerrigan landed the lutz cleanly.
    Oh it was definitely clean but first time around it wasnt so clear it was. Overall it was rather low and not an impressive jump, even though it brought a huge roar from the crowd. Kerrigan's lutzes in the short program are always great (except rare time she misses it) but the LP they are usually not nearly as good, and often missed altogether.

I agree with the poster who said in real time Nancy's triple lutz looked as possibly two footed as Biaul's triple toe, even though in slo mo it is clear that Baiul's triple toe was probably two footed, and Nancy's triple lutz wasnt.

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree with the poster who said in real time Nancy's triple lutz looked as possibly two footed as Biaul's triple toe
    duane said that it appeared even more to be two-footed than Baiul's triple toe did. I disagree.

ETA: YMMV, of course.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 07-16-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I think it's because of the camera angle that the two jumps were shot at. The camera shot Nancy's lutz almost nearly from the front near her free foot on landing, while Baiul's was from the side. When you looked at Baiul's triple toe in real time from the front, it was obvious that it was two footed. Plus Nancy's triple lutz was just a tad under-rotated which is why her feet were crossed so low on landing (but not enough to receive a < by today's standards).

vCash
    Baiul did have an amazing lutz! I also think Chen Lu and her delayed-rotation lutz deserve mention as well.
    I agree these 2 had amazing lutzs esp Chen in 95/96.
    Kerrigans lutz was not as high or impressive as Baiul in the LP, but she attempted hers towards the back half of her program. Baiul did hers on fresh legs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    I also don't think Volchkova had enough flow out of it to be considered one of the great of all time lutzes.

See an example of what she typically did on her lutz below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...tgFhKtB4#t=90s

Big, but poor flow out of it; she had to turn right after.
    That was how she often did her jumps in competition. As Sandra mentioned, she sometimes did land jumps amazingly in practice. Her triple lutz was the caliber of a man's, but I only saw that happen in practice. Her upper body was a wreck in competition too. She seemed to hate the audience-- or get so nervous and distracted that the jumps became cautious and ill-timed.

vCash
    Last generation: Harding, Baiul

Recent generation: Kim, Gold

Harding and Baiul had wonderful quality solo lutzes but then they never had to do all sorts of steps before it or tag a 3toe after it.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Harding and Baiul had wonderful quality solo lutzes but then they never had to do all sorts of steps before it or tag a 3toe after it.
    Well, in the SP they both were not allowed since the solo jump was a double and the second jump in the combo was a double, and they often still had as many steps before their solo 3Lz in their LP as Kostner had before her solo 3Lz in her SP

vCash
    Speaking of Kostner, her lutz can be spectacular. Especially now that she's no longer entering them at 50 mph.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234