vCash

1987 World Championships

I realized today that while I had watched Kadavy and Witt on YouTube several times, I had never taken the time to actually assess the top 6's free skates from a judging standpoint. I always thought Katarina was the clear winner over Thomas, and Caryn the clear bronze medalist; but, after re-watching, I think there is definitely a case for giving Kadavy the win- she had the most difficult jumping program (planned and executed) and her artistic strength doesn't need much justification. She popped her toe, of course, but the two loops were fabulous whereas Thomas two-footed hers. Witt was on par technically, with an extra triple but easier set/entrances.

Either way, it was a great competition all around, and I think there is case to be made for any mix of the top skaters. What do you think the long program, and overall, results should have been? Did Katarina earn her 3rd world title by landing that gutsy triple loop? Was Kadavy a double axel away from stealing it away? Or, was there another skater (a la Ito 1988) who should have taken it all?

Sorry if the links don't work; I am trying to share from my iPad. But, for the record, I would go:
    1. Kadavy: 5.8/5.9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylUfP...e_gdata_player
    2. Witt: 5.8/5.8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiJl...e_gdata_player
    3. Thomas: 5.7/5.8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYSt...e_gdata_player

Sad that this was Kadavy's last shot at international success. She should have been much higher after the SP in Calgary, but had to withdraw regardless, and then really underperformed at 1988 Worlds. She was stronger technically and artistically compared to Trenary, and with her great skating as a professional, there's no reason to think she couldn't have had a similar (or even more successful) path of World medals and titles.

vCash
    Earlier thread with video links and discussion: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Championships
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Caryn didnt deserve the gold. She backed off her last 2 jumps and that cost her the gold. She probably should have won silver over Thomas though. All top 3 performances were excellent, and the next few were also extremely good.

vCash
    I would have close between Kadavy and Thomas. Kadavy backed down 2 or 3 jumps, while Thomas two-footed a jump or two.
    Witt clearly deserved to win here though. She nailed 5 triples and skated with attack. The other interesting what if is 4th place finisher Manley who skated a great SP and took second there but couldnt keep it together in the long being beaten by Ito and Trenary.

vCash
    Of ocourse the other big question for 87 worlds was, did Manley or Ito deserve to beat Witt in the SP. That may have changed the placements around some. In any case it was a close race.
    Last edited by Lnt175; 07-14-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Witt was naturally beautiful, but, in terms of presentation in the SP, what was going on with the frizzy hair in hair clips and oversized t-shirt brought in at the waist for a costume ... It was even more glaringly bad than the shake-a-leg choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    Of ocourse the other big question for 87 worlds was, did Manley or Ito deserve to beat Witt in the SP. That may have changed the placements around some. In any case it was a close race.
    Witt definitely did not deserve to win the SP. However she also definitely deserved to beat Thomas (who had a major mistake) by atleast 2 spots in the SP, which would be enough to control her own destiny in the LP and thus win. It was too bad Thomas missed her double axel in the short, as it was for sure a 1st place performance other, and would have secured her the gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Witt was naturally beautiful, but, in terms of presentation in the SP, what was going on with the frizzy hair in hair clips and oversized t-shirt brought in at the waist for a costume ... It was even more glaringly bad than the shake-a-leg choreography.
    That program was a total hot mess and her upper body movement was horrendous. However, her look did stand out. I wonder who that woman on her shirt was and how it was meant to interpret that music.

vCash
    It was too bad Thomas missed her double axel in the short, as it was for sure a 1st place performance other, and would have secured her the gold.
    At worst, Debi Thomas would have been placed 2nd in the short program without the mistake, which would have still allowed her the ability to finish 2nd in the long program and win overall. That being said, it would have been quite unusual for Debi Thomas to have won 2 world championships in the factored placements era without winning the free skate both years.

vCash
    It would have reflected Debi's overall strength being great in figures, short program, free skating, jumps, line, and basic skating though. I always felt she was the best overall skater of the 86-88 period.

I also felt at the 88 Olympics she should have had an insurmountable lead over Witt and Manley after the figures and short program, and if she had would have skated better in the free program. I think being placed below Witt's clearly inferior short program affected her mentally there.

That said while her performance in the 87 Worlds LP was outstanding, Witt and Kadavy still both should have beaten her, and Kadavy was hosed of atleast winning silver for that incredible skate IMO.

vCash
    Kadavy's 1987 LP is probably my favorite ladies performance from that era with Ito's 1988 Olympics SP and LP second and Witt's 1987 LP third. I credit Witt's costume for hiding her usually wooden upper body movement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Kadavy's 1987 LP is probably my favorite ladies performance from that era with Ito's 1988 Olympics SP and LP second and Witt's 1987 LP third. I credit Witt's costume for hiding her usually wooden upper body movement.
    Which costume are you referring. The SP one or the LP one (I think both actually served that purpose well, although her LP was exceptional and twice the skate her sloppy and overmarked SP was).

vCash
    LP. Her SP costume also hid her arms but it was so distracting and the choreography of that SP made her arms noticeable despite the costume.

vCash
    I laugh when I watch the ugly layback spin when she chops her arms around during it.