vCash

Do skaters pay music artists for their program music?

I am just curious..
    If skaters choose certain music for their competition or gala exhibition, do they have to pay to the composer or singer or the record company?
    Does anyone know how this works?

vCash
    good question...

vCash
    I'm guessing that the PRS and PPL people take the royalties in much the same way as they do when songs are played on the radio or music is included in other performances, nightclubs etc.

The only time I competed I had to submit my music along with reference codes from the CD where the music was taken from so that the organisers could clear the music for use.

I suspect it will also depend on each countries own copyright laws.

vCash
    In my experiences of working in some OC of Events
    skaters do not pay for the music, they have to fill a form that includes the name of the singer, musician and name of the music used, the track exactly.
    It's the OC of events that pays.
    In italy we have the SIAE. There are form that OC has to fill, very boring task !!
    This for competitions.
    For everyday practice, I have no idea.
    Since there is no public, I don't suppose they have to. But I don't know.

vCash
    I highly doubt it. I have never heard of that happening.

vCash
    I have no idea, although I did hear for the short dances they sometimes have to list the music as, for example "samba, rhumba, samba" instead of listing the exact titles of the music.

vCash
    In the US, there is probably a licensure fee that has to be paid to ASCAP by somebody, probably by the federation or the site committee or the arena, since the arena is a business, not a charity, and the transmission is not over TV or radio. If you have TV or radio in your business, you typically have to pay an additional monthly fee for licensure to play music.
    http://www.ascap.com/licensing/licen...q.aspx#general

If the restaurant doesn't pay the monthly fee, you can't have a DJ in the restaurant (we ran into this situation when my nephew was getting married last year).

In other countries, the DJ pays the licensure
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_DJ_licensing

vCash
    Skaters don't have to pay artists to use their music. That would be done by the events when the music is in competition.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Skaters don't have to pay artists to use their music. That would be done by the events when the music is in competition.
    In Canada a skater must put all of the artist and publication info for all their music cuts on the competition registration/planned program sheets that are handed/emailed into competitions to allow for music clearance.
    Each club must pay an annual fee to SOCAN through skate Canada that allows the playing of all music for the year in their arena. there is also an additional new annual fee coming in this year that will cover the new vocal music rules that are coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSUSF View Post
    I am just curious..
    If skaters choose certain music for their competition or gala exhibition, do they have to pay to the composer or singer or the record company?
    Does anyone know how this works?
    The onus is on the skater and the member federation to arrive at the competition with cleared music.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/...-0-file,00.pdf

Rule 131 (b)
    P. 131

All Figure Skating Competitors and their Members shall:
    i) certify and warrant that the music and choreography presented
    and used by the Competitor have been fully cleared and
    authorized for public use and television and other media
    exhibition broadcast and re-broadcast throughout the world
    without further clearances or payments of any kind on the part
    of the ISU, the organizing Member, the Organizing
    Committee or the relevant television networks or broadcasters
    being required;

With lyrics allowed in 2014.2015...clearance will be costlier and more difficult, I am assuming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Yeah, I would assume that the organisation would send a document to APRA (or whoever it is in other countries) so that royalties can be paid that way.

Although, considering most people skate to old warhorses, I doubt a lot of royalties a paid hehe.