Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kirk again shows her ignorance of CoP: a Rippon Lutz does not necessarily get the same points as a standard Lutz. The base value may be the same, but in the guidelines, it counts towards features in GOE.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    We would like to start for thanking you for all of your comments. We do read them and take everything into consideration. As we approach the next skating season, we feel like there are some clarifications that need to be made.

1. There are no specified roles on the show. As a former skater, Jenny is able to relate to many of the guests. Many of the guests are not always used to being so open and will look to Jenny for guidance or shared experience. It winds up being a major asset, as the responses from the guests are often much deeper than they might otherwise be. Many of the guests are aware of Dave's writings and are kept on their toes in advance. Guests are fully aware that we are going to be honest with them, but they are also assured that there will always be a level of fairness. We are not out to blast any guest. Though we may ask difficult questions, we allow them to speak and tell their story, which is one of the reasons why we rarely edit out portions of guests' answers or the interview. Rather than short soundbites, we want to give our guests the opportunity to speak fully and freely.

2. In other threads it was mentioned that Frank Carroll was offered a list of questions in advance. That is not correct. We have never offered guests a list of questions ahead of time. An upcoming guest did ask for them, but our policy has always been that we are looking to have an open, honest and candid conversation. Providing guests questions ahead of time is not a common practice by interview outlets. We also limit our pre-interview discussions with guests. There have only been two guests that we ever spent much time talking with during the lead up to the interview.

3. One commenter stated that 'Dave is only on the show because he is friends with Jenny.' The initial idea for the podcast was Dave's idea. He had been listening to podcasts at work and thought it was time that a new conversation was had about the sport. We had been friendly prior to the start of TSL, but we had never spent much time together. (To this day, the only time we ever spent together was at Skate America when Jenny was interviewing fans at the event.) Dave's initial idea was to do an audio podcast. Jenny had the idea to make it a video series. There were two on-camera test sessions prior to the initial interviews (where Dave could not see the guests, as we were unaware that we both needed premium Skype).

4. Joint interviews present a lot of challenges. Many on-air teams have signals with one another. Barbara Walters has said that she would put her hand on Hugh Downes' thigh when she wished to speak. That is not possible for us. We film the show in two different locations and are not able to communicate with one another during the interviews. Though we can read each other well, it is not always possible to ask as many follow up questions. Over time, we have learned to interject more when we feel this is warranted.

5. As a duo, the interviews are prepared in script form prior to the show. It is often random which host is asking which question. After the final set of questions is agreed upon, names indicating which host will ask which question are assigned. Though the questions may be slightly reworded when they are delivered, there are not 'Dave' questions and 'Jenny' questions during an interview; the assignment of questions is random and based on giving each host the same number of questions.

6. It has never been our aim to gush over guests. After the questions have been set, we approach every interview with the intent of reacting in an open and honest way in order to present a better interview and discussion. Many of the most successful interviewers have long provided their own opinions. Given that we provide our opinions during our recap and 'This and That' shows, we feel it would be disingenuous to merely read questions without any degree of personality or perspective. It is simply our approach. If it appears as if we are gushing over a guest, it is simply because we genuinely admire our interviewees and the success they have achieved both on and off the ice.

7. While we would love to announce a schedule for future guests, it is simply not possible. Scheduling is difficult and it is not uncommon for a guest to have to reschedule. We recently had a guest reschedule three times. It is our aim to provide interesting content every week. At this time, we have not had any formal discussions with Sarah Hughes about being a guest on the show. Our upcoming guests are always subject to change at any moment.

8. Dave enjoys his necklace. He also enjoys seeing what Jenny will wear every week.

We thank you for your comments and support and hope that you will continue to enjoy TSL.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    TSL, Thanks so much for posting and for the clarifications.

I absolutely love your podcasts. I find it so refreshing not to have a totally sanitized view of the sport. Thanks for all that you do! Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by kwanette; 07-05-2013 at 01:32 AM.

vCash
    I like watching them, they seem to get the fun side of the skaters than many interviews don't capture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha is DIVINE View Post
    I completely agree. Dave's snark is legendary and that's one of the things I love most about him.

I am over them asking everyone about Yu Na Kim. That is my bias though because I think she's overrated.

And poor Adam. He is a long shot at best to make the Olympic team.

Don't worry. You'll have plenty of opportunity in the coming year to lament over the Yuna-worship. Did you hear she's come back and intends to defend her Olympic title? Just imagine the Yuna coverage during and after the Sochi games! If you think she's overrated now, just wait until the Olympics... If she wins, some might even dare to say she's the best ever. Just imagine all the talk and all the gushing, how deplorable it will be!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Don't worry. You'll have plenty of opportunity in the coming year to lament over the Yuna-worship. Did you hear she's come back and intends to defend her Olympic title? Just imagine the Yuna coverage during and after the Sochi games! If you think she's overrated now, just wait until the Olympics... If she wins, some might even dare to say she's the best ever. Just imagine all the talk and all the gushing, how deplorable it will be!
    And there will be me, complaining and gagging about her free leg in the layback and her ugly spiral foot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    And there will be me, complaining and gagging about her free leg in the layback and her ugly spiral foot
    or the never ending bitterness just like this... it must be painful when she won that second world title eh? besides some will continue to b!tch about yuna's extension because that's the only way they can discredit her skating..
    Last edited by riveredge; 07-05-2013 at 04:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    or the never ending bitterness from haters like you...
    im not bitter... i just don't like ugly positions. she jumps better than Mao, it is true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    im not bitter... i just don't like ugly positions. she jumps better than Mao, it is true.
    if ISU give more points to that.. i'm sure yuna will fix it.. honestly she doesn't have the extension like mao or alissa.. but she could have give more effort.. but heck it doesn't even matter to her.. it didn't cost her anything..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    if ISU give more points to that.. i'm sure yuna will fix it.. honestly she doesn't have the extension like mao or alissa.. but she could have give more effort.. but heck it doesn't even matter to her.. it didn't cost her anything..
    I'd say it has more to do with her back than laziness. Stretch/extension is due in large part to a supple back, and Yuna's chronic back injury since her junior days doesn't make it easy.

vCash
    I love this duo.
    As Spun Silver said, Jenny&AJ's podcast is a great gift to skating.
    Last edited by t.mann; 07-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.

vCash
    Dave and Jenny Kirk are doing a great job with their podcast. They are honest, nothing fake about them. They tell it like it is and some people don't like that, but I like it.

vCash
    I'd say it has more to do with her back than laziness. Stretch/extension is due in large part to a supple back, and Yuna's chronic back injury since her junior days doesn't make it easy.
    Turning out the free foot has little to do with the back. She does have excellent back flexibility, which is shown in her lay back and ina bauer, its jut the free leg (and the arms) that ruin it. The fact thact she CAN do such a beautiful ina means she could turn the free leg out if she wanted to. But why bother? If only we had Dick to call her out on it, everyone just gushes over every little move she does, whether or not is aesthetically pleasing or otherwise.

vCash
    Thanks for your response. I love your interviews and look forward to This and That each week. Keep them coming!

vCash
    TSL, thanks for posting here and sharing some of the details that go into the podcast.
    There is room for a variety of opinions about skating; as well as many approaches to interviewing.
    I'm happy that you are part of that mix.

Keep them coming, please.

vCash
    So you needed to say this because? You know, if it was say, Michelle Kwan instead of Yuna Kim being injected into all these interviews I would still be annoyed. Why are you so passive-aggresively defensive?

vCash
    Hey TSL... congrats on doing a fantastic job promoting skating. Really enjoyed ALL the series so far and see much improving efforts and thoughts to keep it relaxed, informal and personable - and informative. Not easy to do.

Hey do you take requests? If so... I really want to put forward 4 letters!

Kwan!!!!!

(only because i know you'd really REALLY want to. Easily the 5 parter 2 hours epic!!! Complete with much bowing, pleading and watching a tuxedo Dave try not to faint or get overwhelmed. Yeah i'd tune in for sure. Where do i click the youtube sponsor ads!)

The other 4 letters:

Yuna
    !

(Maybe after the Olympics? gives you some time to polish your Korean?)

People are too easily annoyed on this board, bitterness and complaints about everything. Sometimes I wonder if they are really watching skating. Think happy thoughts... sunshine and rainbows, purple. Have some warm milk and cookies. Hug a puppy.
    Last edited by os168; 07-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    The initial idea for the podcast was Dave's idea. He had been listening to podcasts at work and thought it was time that a new conversation was had about the sport.
    I appreciate your posting these explanations, but I have to say I`m a little annoyed by this statement. There`s enough room in the skating world for different kinds of podcasts and for interviews conducted in different ways. Each has something to contribute, and each should be recognized for what they bring to the party (so to speak). I think there are ways to explain why you decided to start your own podcast without sounding like you`re dissing the ones that already existed.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    if SH cared about what people say or think about her, she wouldnt show up at ice shows without any jumps
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think there are ways to explain why you decided to start your own podcast without sounding like you`re dissing the ones that already existed.
    How is saying that he "thought it was time that a new conversation was had about the sport" in any way dissing other podcasts? It's merely saying there's room for another point of view / approach.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast