Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha is DIVINE View Post
    I completely agree. Dave's snark is legendary and that's one of the things I love most about him.
    As do I. There are more than enough outlets for PR-friendly daisies and flowers nice nice nice interviews that skaters can do. I think their strengths are the conversational and at times snarky tones of their interviews. Their interviews have given me a better understanding of all that goes on behind the scenes and skaters' mentalities; the Max Aaron interview is also a good example.

I don't really mind all the questions regarding Yu Na; if I were them, it could also be a good way to gain viewership for those who pay attention to only the "headliner" skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

2. Does TSL seem 'obsess" with Yuna Kim? I though TSL wasted a large a chunk of NNN's interview asking about Yuna Kim, and I felt they almost did the same during Adam's interview. Enough already.

I agree. I've just started skipping over those parts of the interviews.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    As do I. There are more than enough outlets for PR-friendly daisies and flowers nice nice nice interviews that skaters can do. I think their strengths are the conversational and at times snarky tones of their interviews. Their interviews have given me a better understanding of all that goes on behind the scenes and skaters' mentalities; the Max Aaron interview is also a good example.
    Oh I don't mind the snarks but when they specifically single out a skater, like Dave did with Sarah Hughes, I found it quite jarring. I guess TSL has no intention of ever asking any of the Hughes sisters for an interview? That would be a shame, because Sarah's LP at SLC was one for the history book. Overall, I do enjoy watching the TSL interviews. I just don't think they need to directly put down certain skaters in their pod cast. It cheapens the show, IMO.

I don't really mind all the questions regarding Yu Na; if I were them, it could also be a good way to gain viewership for those who pay attention to only the "headliner" skaters.
    But if you were the subject being interviewed and you get a bunch of questions about "What was Yuna Like?", "How did Yuna prepare for competition?", "What is Yuna like off ice?", etc., wouldn't you at least say to yourself, "Hey, wait a minute. I thought this interview is about me and my career?"

vCash
    But yuna is like an extreme legend of figure skating history now? Every skater who trained with her knows they have been near that legend. It just demands questions. Like actors working with Brando or boxers who fought Ali. Singers who sang with Sinatra. Etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Adam wrote an article for the Athlete Advisory Committee's 'Athlete Corner' about his 2013 Gardena Spring Trophy experience with Team USA that was published in the May issue of SKATING magazine (p. 43). A scan of the article can be viewed here courtesy of U.S. Figure Skating." Link: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/a.../13Gardena.pdf
    IMO, it's a very well-written, thoughtful piece.
    Jeez, I am laughing out loud here at Adam's endless sighs that he is such a geezer now. "All the youths ..."

vCash
    Oh I don't mind the snarks but when they specifically single out a skater, like Dave did with Sarah Hughes, I found it quite jarring. I guess TSL has no intention of ever asking any of the Hughes sisters for an interview? That would be a shame, because Sarah's LP at SLC was one for the history book. Overall, I do enjoy watching the TSL interviews. I just don't think they need to directly put down certain skaters in their pod cast. It cheapens the show, IMO.

But if you were the subject being interviewed and you get a bunch of questions about "What was Yuna Like?", "How did Yuna prepare for competition?", "What is Yuna like off ice?", etc., wouldn't you at least say to yourself, "Hey, wait a minute. I thought this interview is about me and my career?"

What? Worst Olympic gold medal performance! haha. I joke, but really, that skate is not going to be recounted in history books in the future.

Im sure these skaters are just happy that someone in interviewing them.

vCash
    The more snarks, the better IMO. Since the beginning, Dave and Jenny have expressed their distaste for skating interviews and fluff pieces to be too PC. I think they do a great job at balancing some good gossipy snark with great questions about technique and competitive mindset.

It's my understanding that Sarah has already requested an interview and is being considered. I doubt she takes herself so seriously that a snarky comment about her arms would deter her from talking to Jenny and Dave.

vCash
    Oh my, it took an hour just to navigate through all his coaching changes. Adam struck me as well-spoken, but someone who has a higher opinion of his level than has often been warranted by his results. At this point, I think all of his coaching changes speak volumes. He's not at the beginning of his career anymore and he still lacks a consistent triple axel, has no triple axel-triple toe and no quad. His Olympic chances are pretty nonexistant when you look at the field and he's not a kiddo anymore with an extra 4 years to spare. Still the best hair in skating though!

vCash
    ^ My favorite line from Miley Cyrus's new song: "...Forget the haters cause somebody loves ya"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    The more snarks, the better IMO. Since the beginning, Dave and Jenny have expressed their distaste for skating interviews and fluff pieces to be too PC. I think they do a great job at balancing some good gossipy snark with great questions about technique and competitive mindset.

It's my understanding that Sarah has already requested an interview and is being considered. I doubt she takes herself so seriously that a snarky comment about her arms would deter her from talking to Jenny and Dave.
    I'm sure Hughes knows how bad she can be attacked on internet videos too! Like the infamous taping of hams to thighs.

vCash
    Judging from Nationals, Rippon finally seemed to have the 3axel technique nailed under Arutunian so I wish him the best going forward. He is going to need a quad plus both 3axels and lutzes and every tenths of COP points to even have a chance in making the 2 men US Team to Sochi.

I have enough trouble as it is picking 3 men out of these 6: Aaron, Lysacek, Abbott, Rippon, Farris, Brown. And then there is also Miner and Dornbush. Realistically I doubt the USFS would leave home someone who isn't already some sort of National, World or Olympic Champion or someone who had Aaron's quad consistency.

Regarding TSL, I actually like that Dave has an opinion and a clear passion for skating. He clearly is a purist and prefers skaters' skaters like a Kwan or a Browning. His standard is very high and he has great taste . For me anyway, he is very relatable as a skating fan and webmaster. Also, I would hate for any new audience or fan to the sport to think or pass on any thought that hip thrusting on centre ice or absolutely ignoring the music but for a few flares here and there should be highly rewarded in competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Regarding TSL, I actually like that Dave has an opinion and a clear passion for skating. He clearly is a purist and prefers skaters' skaters like a Kwan or a Browning. His standard is very high and he has great taste . For me anyway, he is very relatable as a skating fan and webmaster. Also, I would hate for any new audience or fan to the sport to think or pass on any thought that hip thrusting on centre ice or absolutely ignoring the music but for a few flares here and there should be highly rewarded in competition.
    I agree but the Sarah Hughes remark came out of nowhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have enough trouble as it is picking 3 men out of these 6: Aaron, Lysacek, Abbott, Rippon, Farris, Brown. And then there is also Miner and Dornbush. Realistically I doubt the USFS would leave home someone who isn't already some sort of National, World or Olympic Champion or someone who had Aaron's quad consistency.
    Try 2. US can only send 2 men.

Aaron and Abbott past national champs. Abbott is GPF champ. Rippon and Farris are junior world champs. Dornbush and Brown are JGPF champs. Miner none of the above. If you judge by past results, Miner would be the first one to leave out. But none of these men (except Lysacek) has ever been on the worlds podium. The best worlds result among them is like 6th or something. But in January USFS will simply send the top 2 at 2013 Nationals to the Olys. End of story.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as emotionally invested in US men as anyone here. Ultimately, I suspect US men will do more or less the same regardless of which two are sent to Sochi, which means somewhere between 6 and 15.

vCash
    Is Evan really going to compete next season? having had three years off, is there any way that he is going to be competitive anymore?

vCash
    Evan is supposedly planning to do the US Senior B in Sep, so (if he shows up) we'll get to see just what his competition level is then.

vCash
    I really like TSL's interviews. I learn so much
    As for the comment about SH, it was really more about the bad choreography and it was related to Adam wanting to be authentic when he does a Spanish program.
    Adam was a delight!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I wonder though if they are going for a specific dynamic though. Jenny comes off as very professional and serious about the show, while Dave may work very very hard but he comes off as first and foremost an excited, wide-eyed Kwan fan who still can't believe he is interviewing some of these skaters. Sometimes shows play up certain aspects of one's personality for entertainment purposes and I wonder if that's what they're going for. He's playing the part of obsessed Kwan fan who makes catty comments, while Jenny is the serious partner. Just a theory.
    Interesting. I have a different take. FWIW, Dave explained his wide eyes on his Aunt Joyce Formspring page once. It is a medical issue, a reaction to a certain prescription drug, and he is trying to work on it. Anyway, to me Jenny's gushy style and the way she constantly interjects herself into the interviews are annoying and unprofessional although she is capable of good questions and insightful comments, esp. on technical matters. Dave's knowledge of skating's history as well as its present is encyclopedic -- far, far beyond Jenny's. I have seen guests like Carroll and Bezic widen their eyes at the sharpness of his questions. His snarkiness is so much less than it was in the blog that I welcome it -- I miss AJICS! OTOH he has a very likeable sweet side that comes out on video, although he too can join in the gushiness a bit too much. I would like them both to keep it on the objective side, if they can manage to be enthusiastic and objective at the same time. They don't need to be telling the skaters how much they love them.

I do think this duo has a lot of potential. Their podcast is a great gift to skating. I am basically waiting for them to take over from Hamilton and Bezic.

As to Adam... an hour is too long for an interview with anyone but a legend, IMO. But I will check it out later.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I haven't watched this one or any of their podcasts in a while, but I don't mind the snark.

I'm not bothered by Dave's snarks, but I also don't pay much mind to them - his opinions and snarks are no more valuable, witty, or interesting than the snark of any FSU poster. He just happens to be friends with Jenny.

Where I think the snarking is worthwhile is that it creates a very relaxed and informal atmosphere, and the skaters are less uptight than in official interviews so they're more likely to be snarky too, and cut through a lot of the BS. Goebel's interview was great that way.

vCash
    The questions are sometimes very long winded, and Dave sometimes asks the same questions more than once. NNN had to explain her feelings heading into the 2000 nationals at least three different times during the interview. Sometimes Dave also grasp at issues that aren't there; In the Chin interview, he was implying that Nick somehow publicly embarrassed Tiffany about her weight in the K+C. Tiffany was like "Huh?". TSL then showed the supposedly incriminating clip, and I was like "Huh? That's your smoking gun?"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I really like TSL's interviews. I learn so much
    As for the comment about SH, it was really more about the bad choreography and it was related to Adam wanting to be authentic when he does a Spanish program.
    Adam was a delight!
    This.^

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast