Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Dying auto features and why we need to keep them

The Michael Hastings death has led to the revelation that our cars can be hacked remotely. At the same time, this CNN article details 11 car features that are becoming obsolete.

After reading the articles on the same day, I've decided to keep my stick shift until past its dying day and maybe even stock up on another one.

If my car suddenly accelerates, I want to be able to step on the clutch and shift it to neutral rather than hoping that the computers will let me shift it there and then obey if I get it into the neutral position. I want a handbrake rather than relying on a computer to do the same thing.

And I don't want the other on the road "driving" while putting on their makeup, shaving , or texting.

Can driving a stick be annoying? Hell yes! But with cars essentially being driven by computers these days, I have to think that cars are getting safer, but driving is not.

vCash
    Safe driving depends more on the driver than on the car. JMO

vCash
    I've long sworn that all these stupid features like ABS, super-dooper-traction-control, collision sensor, auto-park, blah blah blah are actually making driving MORE dangerous because they are removing the skill aspect. Kids are not being taught skills that could save their lives. One of the teenagers at work arrived pale-faced because he'd just spun his car in the wet. He was busy telling me that it got loose and started sliding around the corner. I asked him what he did next. "I hit the brakes, duh!" He had no idea that what he'd done was actually the worst thing to do. Then he kept saying, "I don't understand why the traction control didn't save me!" *facepalm*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I've long sworn that all these stupid features like ABS, super-dooper-traction-control, collision sensor, auto-park, blah blah blah are actually making driving MORE dangerous because they are removing the skill aspect. Kids are not being taught skills that could save their lives. One of the teenagers at work arrived pale-faced because he'd just spun his car in the wet. He was busy telling me that it got loose and started sliding around the corner. I asked him what he did next. "I hit the brakes, duh!" He had no idea that what he'd done was actually the worst thing to do. Then he kept saying, "I don't understand why the traction control didn't save me!" *facepalm*
    That's the fault of the parents and/or driver's ed instructors that did not teach him well.

Three kids in a nearby community were killed in a 1966 car recently. It was a 16th b-day gift from the driver's grandfather and he was taught to drive in it. He learned without all of those things and still fell prey to stupid teenage driving. So I don't know how we can say that modern cars are the problem.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The ones I'd miss most in that article are keys and an emergency break.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I'm still mourning the moving of the dimmer switch off the floor. It took me a looooong time to get used to that change.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My parents have a vehicle that has the button you push to start the vehicle. I hate it. It is the oddest feeling ever to get out of the car after driving it and not have any keys to grab. I don't think I could ever get used to it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The things I hate most about modern vehicles is the side mirror which is meant to cover the blind spot. Having driven a few hire vehicles with them really bugs me. Vehicles appear so much further away than what they really are which distorts perception. Also people get a false sense of security thinking they can drive without doing headchecks.

From the list - hey I like wind down windows. I have the control over the window. And I would be very sad if the manual transmission was ever to die. Give me a manual any day. And space saver spare tyres are just stupid. They actually cause more problems than the space they save, eg poor vehicle handling, you can only go up to a certain speed on them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Why don't we just have horse and buggies?

vCash
    I can't wait for kids of the future to mock our dependence on keys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    One of the teenagers at work arrived pale-faced because he'd just spun his car in the wet. He was busy telling me that it got loose and started sliding around the corner. I asked him what he did next. "I hit the brakes, duh!" He had no idea that what he'd done was actually the worst thing to do.
    Most adults don't have those skills either, I would argue. Most likely, they were taught in driver's ed class, but it takes real situations for you to really learn it, and thankfully, real situations are rare. In addition, when you're in panic mode, you may forget what you're supposed to do.

I know I was taught how to handle hydroplaning in driver's ed class and we watched a video on it, but the first time it happened, I totally blanked.

By the way, your statement that hitting the brakes is the worst thing is misleading. From what I remember, you shouldn't slam the brakes, but you should continuously pump them, no?

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My parents have a vehicle that has the button you push to start the vehicle. I hate it. It is the oddest feeling ever to get out of the car after driving it and not have any keys to grab. I don't think I could ever get used to it.
    I've had a couple rental cars like that. My least favorite thing is that the fobs are so bulky and don't fit in your pocket.

I didn't see a low battery signal on the fobs either. So how do you know that your fob is about to die? The fobs also cost a ton to get a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The things I hate most about modern vehicles is the side mirror which is meant to cover the blind spot. Having driven a few hire vehicles with them really bugs me. Vehicles appear so much further away than what they really are which distorts perception. Also people get a false sense of security thinking they can drive without doing headchecks.
    I actually like those. You can't always do head checks if the rear windows are blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    From the list - hey I like wind down windows. I have the control over the window. And I would be very sad if the manual transmission was ever to die. Give me a manual any day. And space saver spare tyres are just stupid. They actually cause more problems than the space they save, eg poor vehicle handling, you can only go up to a certain speed on them.
    I'd like a wind down window on my side, but if you want to open the other side, then you need power windows.

I wouldn't personally say that I'd take a manual any day. They are soooo annoying in stop and go traffic. But reading the articles has made me appreciate my stick shift in a way I hadn't previously considered.

With the tires, some cars are going without them entirely! I was considering the Hyundai Elantra until I learned that it has no spare tire, not even a donut tire.

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    He learned without all of those things and still fell prey to stupid teenage driving. So I don't know how we can say that modern cars are the problem.
    Why do you think it was "stupid teenage driving"? It's much more about inexperience than stupidity.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 07-03-2013 at 06:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    The Michael Hastings death has led to the revelation that our cars can be hacked remotely. At the same time, this CNN article details 11 car features that are becoming obsolete.

After reading the articles on the same day, I've decided to keep my stick shift until past its dying day and maybe even stock up on another one.

If my car suddenly accelerates, I want to be able to step on the clutch and shift it to neutral rather than hoping that the computers will let me shift it there and then obey if I get it into the neutral position. I want a handbrake rather than relying on a computer to do the same thing.

And I don't want the other on the road "driving" while putting on their makeup, shaving , or texting.

Can driving a stick be annoying? Hell yes! But with cars essentially being driven by computers these days, I have to think that cars are getting safer, but driving is not.
    I have two cars and the annoying one is the automatic but it is an older car (18 years) which I imported from Japan and the majority of them were produced as automatic specifically for the Japanese market. If I had the knowhow I would convert it to a manual. I LURVE manual cars and would never have my main car as an auto. (The other car is for car shows mainly.) Are these figures US only? In the UK I would say that the vast majority are manual (and I am the only person I know who has an auto) and I can't see it dying out because of the sheer fun of driving a manual vehicle. You can't feel the gears and the engine in an automatic

My first car was an Austin Healey Sprite with a pull out choke and non-synchromesh gear box. That was fun. Had to double de-clutch through the gears ... a bit dodgy at crossroads on the steep hills around here when the gear change had to be very quick but fun

I guess, in a way, that it's like many things these days which are meant to be 'new improved versions' with multiple options. And multiple ways for things to go wrong.
    Last edited by skatefan; 07-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Why do you think it was "stupid teenage driving"? It's much more about inexperience than stupidity.
    When teenagers die in accidents, it's often because they're driving too fast. My dad keeps giving me lectures about not doing that, but I'm not stupid enough to go 100mph in a residential area. Or text while driving. Even when I was a teenage driver. But many teenagers DO do stupid shit like that, and all the driving knowledge in the world won't save you if you choose to ignore basic safety.

It's also not a coincidence that men who own sports cars pay out the nose for insurance. They probably go faster than is considered safe too.

I wish I'd learned to drive stick, but I think my parents have gotten rid of their manual cars. My parents know, but my sister and I never learned. And where my sister lives (San Francisco) driving manual is a nightmare because of all those hills! You have to remember to leave A LOT of room between yourself and the car in front of you if you're stopped at an uphill traffic light, in case their car is manual. My sister's bf has a manual car (sports car, he's one of those guys ) but he's a badass when it comes to stick shift. He grew up in Australia, so that's probably why he knows how.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I miss having floor vents (yeah...I know...I'm old). Instead of just having fans to blow in air, you opened those up and didn't really need air conditioning on most days.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Just for ease of use, I prefer knobs, buttons, or rocker switches for the common things like the radio, flashers, etc. I'm shopping for a new car and feel I have to go upscale in order to get any buttons, and those will be on the steering wheel. HATE touchscreens in cars!
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    You can't always do head checks if the rear windows are blocked.
    Sorry I am not sure what you mean by that. As an ex-driving instructor you should always do headchecks when changing lanes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    One thing I miss from my 1990's Subaru is a weather band radio. It was very convenient, especially in worsening weather. Much easier to get info than trying to find it on a phone.

vCash
    Having once owned a car with electrical system issues, I appreciate the value of crank-down windows. It's bad enough being stuck by the side of the road waiting for AAA to show up without being able to roll down a window.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    When teenagers die in accidents, it's often because they're driving too fast.
    Bingo. Driving a car with a manual transmission, manual windows, no ABS, etc...did not save him or his two friends because teen drivers (and a lot of others) take risks they should not. Then there was the matter of the old car the OP apparently would deem so much safer having no seat belts in the back seat. Three kids dead, one had two major surgeries and is in rehab facility for the foreseeable future. But thank God someone gave the driver a "safe" car without modern features.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I have a keyless car and I thought I would never get used to it since I'm someone who cherishes the days of cracked vinyl seats and the smell of leaded gasoline, but somehow I did. I don't even think about it now. The dashboard gives you plenty of warning when the battery on the fob is nearing the end of its life.

Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    My first car was an Austin Healey Sprite
    My friend has one of those in his garage and it's freaking ADORABLE!!!!
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast