Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tyson Gay test positive for banned substance

US sprinter Tyson Gay has tested positive for a banned substance. Gay has since from the withdrawn from the World championships in Moscow after his A sample tested positive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913

vCash
    When will they ever learn? SMH...
    Kyle

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Rumour has it that two Jamaican Olympic gold medallists have also failed drug tests. #pleaseanyonebutbolt

vCash
    This is really unfortunate. Whatever he tested positive for, it must be bad since he's not even waiting for the 'B' sample or trying to claim innocence. I was sad for Tyson last year when he finished 4th in the 100m behind Doper Gatlin, but I guess this just serves as a reminder that almost everyone is cheating. I'm disappointed that we won't get to see the Bolt-Gay showdown in Moscow, which would have been great publicity for the sport since this is the first time in 5 years that Bolt has had a legitimate challenger in a major championship.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Rumour has it that two Jamaican Olympic gold medallists have also failed drug tests. #pleaseanyonebutbolt
    I assume this is in addition to Campbell-Brown, which means that the failed drug tests have to be from Bolt, Fraser (who has already failed a drug test in the past), or other members of the men's 4x100m relay team. If Bolt tests positive, they might as well remove track from the Olympics, because the sport will be all but dead.

vCash
    Ouch ... It is no longer 2 Jamaicans but 5 have tested positive ...
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=46469

2 of the Positive tests are from Olympic gold medalists...

It is unlikely to be Nesta Carter since he ran in Madrid yesterday
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 07-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Bolt's manager has sent an email to some press stating none of his client's are involved.

NY Times article re Tyson Gay

ETA: Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson were two of the positives per their agent
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 07-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    For heavens sakes!! Can't help but wonder if anyone is clean in track and field!

vCash
    Wouldn't be a shocker at all if not. Athletes have huge incentives for using PEDs, and when you know 'everyone' else is doing it, what can you do besides use them yourself if you want to be competitive? People that know what they're doing know how to pass the tests. Maybe I'm just too jaded to really care, but after all the incidents, I just take it as part of the nature of the beast.

vCash
    I always felt atleast 70% of international level sprinters dope, and 95% of those in even outside contention for individual medals do. There are only very are exceptions like Allyson Felix IMO. That is why I feel sorry for people like Marion Jones who get scapegoated for doing what everyone else was, and who are far more talented, superior, and classy than the others to boot; or the rare ones who are clean like Felix and would achieve even more if the playing field was level between them and all others.

vCash
    International news sources are now reporting that Nesta Carter has also tested positive.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Shocked about Powell, but the positive (for want of a better word) is that people using banned substances are now being found out quicker than before.

To suggest that athletics will be dropped from the Olympics is quite frankly ridiculous though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Do you think the IOC will ever suspend Track and Field from the Olympics until they get their stuff together (or at least hide it better) or is it just too much of a money-maker, high-profile sport to ever be suspended?

vCash
    Interesting that the Jamaicans are testing positive for stimulants, which is the same thing that 4 Jamaicans (including Yohan Blake) were busted for in 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Do you think the IOC will ever suspend Track and Field from the Olympics until they get their stuff together (or at least hide it better) or is it just too much of a money-maker, high-profile sport to ever be suspended?
    Doesn't Swimming have doping problems this bad? Their races are determined by the same slim margins.

vCash
    Take away the money, endorsements and such, and watch the number of incidents drastically drop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    Doesn't Swimming have doping problems this bad? Their races are determined by the same slim margins.
    Swimming hasn't had a widespread problem with doping since the East Germans in the 70s and 80s and the Chinese women in the 90s. Since then, positive tests have been very rare. The most recent high-profile cases were Cesar Cielo in 2011, who was unfortunately cleared to compete anyway, and Jessica Hardy in 2008. I can't remember the last time a top American male swimmer failed a drug test, aside from Gary Hall's positive for pot in the late-90s.

I'm sure there are top swimmers who cheat, but if the problem in swimming were as widespread as it is in track, I think there would be a lot more positive tests.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Or maybe the testing is better?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Shocked and heart broken about Powell.

vCash
    Ugh at this news, although given Gay's surprising improvements in times over the past year, not surprising.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast