Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Teacher who wore same outfit for 40 years

Love this one. Teacher worn the same outfit every year for 40 years for the school photos.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...t-for-40-years
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I was so certain this would be about my high school math teacher, but then he did own three shirts and not just one.

vCash
    Man's got a sense of humor, as does his wife.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I'm impressed that the clothes fit him for 40 years!
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Me too! It's been less than 30 years since I started teaching, and I sure couldn't fit into anything from back then! Neither could my husband! LOL!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Also demonstrates the permanancy of polyester. You can't kill the little suckers. That shirt and vest will still be in prime condidtion in another 40 years. Or 140.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I was so certain this would be my high school history teacher. She was a wonderful teacher, but I know when she was my teacher in the mid-90's she had a lot of dresses and skirts that were from the 70's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Love this one. Teacher worn the same outfit every year for 40 years for the school photos.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...t-for-40-years
    When I read the thread title, I was afraid that the teacher had worn the same outfit EVERY DAY for 40 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Me too! It's been less than 30 years since I started teaching, and I sure couldn't fit into anything from back then! Neither could my husband! LOL!
    There is no way on earth that I could fit into my "mod" mini-dresses from way back when ... and that is a very good thing for the rest of the seeing world.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I love some of the captions.

As Mr. Irby reaches the mid 2000's, his confident stare wavers evolves into a whimsical, faraway look as he nears retirement.

vCash
    I certainly hope he washed the shirt during that time.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    It's interesting to see the changes in eyeglass fashion highlighted when the outfit is held constant. There was a time when frame sizes were HUGE. Now the fashion is to have glasses be near-invisible.

vCash
    He has obviously gained weight through the years, so I'm sure the shirt has been altered to accommodate accordingly. The sweater vest? That thing is one size fit all, so no alteration required

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    How did that shirt and vest even stay in one piece for 40 years! I have some old T-shirts I keep to just lounge around the house in. I bought them in about 1995 and they are practically shredded now .... (but man are they comfy!).

vCash
    I have some "wear around the house" t-shirts and shorts from the 1990s (and an old t-shirt of my dad's from the 1980s) and while I wouldn't wear any of them outside, they are in pretty decent shape. I imagine that after the first couple of years the set just hung in his closet and was only cleaned and worn in the photos, so it doesn't surprise me. That it still fit is impressive, though.

vCash
    AW, are you sure it is not photoshopped? I cannot believe he still wear them over the 40 years. He hardly changed his glasses too and his glasses in his latest pix lookedthe same as the first one! I am not convinced this is real.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    When I read the thread title, I was afraid that the teacher had worn the same outfit EVERY DAY for 40 years!

Same here!

vCash
    Love this story!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    AW, are you sure it is not photoshopped? I cannot believe he still wear them over the 40 years. He hardly changed his glasses too and his glasses in his latest pix lookedthe same as the first one! I am not convinced this is real.
    Well go and find the evidence that it isn't. Plenty of websites will tell you what is real or not.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The story linked in the first post was based on this article from the Dallas Morning News. Mr. Irby said that he only put the shirt and vest on for school pictures in later years, and they will now be retired to the back of the closet

The first and last pair of glasses aren't all that alike, BTW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I had a teacher in college who wore the same outfit - slacks, jacket and shirt - for an entire quarter. If I recall, I saw him in the library the next quarter wearing it as well. He may have continued to wear it, but I wasn't there any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    He has obviously gained weight through the years, so I'm sure the shirt has been altered to accommodate accordingly. The sweater vest? That thing is one size fit all, so no alteration required
    If you look closely at the later pictures, I think you'll se that he wasn't buttoning the shirt. The v-neck of the sweater kind of hides it, but that's what was happening. Given that he was only wearing it for picture day, he probably wore it just for the picture itself and then changed.
    Last edited by znachki; 07-03-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast